Front brake Q. Feel after padd replacement? Did exhaustive search. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Front brake Q. Feel after padd replacement? Did exhaustive search.

I searched for a couple of days concerning front brake pad replacement (via slk32.com's tutorial). I learned a lot but did not find much of an answer to my question:

Should the brake pedal feel any different after I change out the pads?

I did not bleed the brakes at any point, only took the cap off the fill and compressed the piston ala screwdriver leverage. But now I feel almost no difference in pedal feel, if anything if feels like I have to go down a little more than I did before, although it could be my imagination....

After 15 minute of light braking drive rotors are good and hot but no unusual or bad signs.

2001 SLK230 Wife's daily fair weather driver. 70,000 miles. Pads only, medium grade from Autozone. I know I could have gotten better off the 'net but she drives the car about 6 miles a day round trip, and drives like...well a lady.

Any input would be appreciated thank you!

-Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:07 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2012 SLK350
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
New pads will feel spongy until they are thoroughly bedded in. Did you replace rotors or resurface?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpiotro View Post
New pads will feel spongy until they are thoroughly bedded in. Did you replace rotors or resurface?
I did not replace rotors or resurface. They seemed fine and only had a minuscule lip on them.

IT just seems like I have more pedal travel... but I might not. I just expected to have a far touchier pedal with new pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 03:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
You shouldn't feel much difference at all if you did the job right, the pedal should be at about the same location with the same amount of travel.

Once warmed up (quite warm) you might notice slightly less travel, but the brake s should NOT be any "touchier" if you used similar to stock pads.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 07:40 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2012 SLK350
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I did not replace rotors or resurface. They seemed fine and only had a minuscule lip on them.

IT just seems like I have more pedal travel... but I might not. I just expected to have a far touchier pedal with new pads.
If the rotors have not been resurfaced, it will take even longer to bed them in. If you can imagine the worn rotors on a microscopic level, there are mountains and valleys. The pads surface is also rough. More like hills and dales. You can see that there is actually very little pad to metal contact. As they bed in and conform to each other, the friction level increases.

Every time that I have done a full brake job, (pads, rotors and fluid,) I have seen the same result. When I take it out and step on the brake for the first time it is like "whoa, is this thing going to stop?" That feeling goes away after just a couple of stops but it still can take a couple of thousand miles for the pedal to really firm up.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Bruce, I appreciate your input. I know you have some good experience in the area, I remember seeing your name in several of the brake threads.

-Michael
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 1999 SLK230 Sport
Lifetime Premium Member
I just got my rotors and pads replaced (ceramic) and the pedals feel kind of mushy. The mechanic said to let them wear in first.

"The true delight is in the finding out, rather than in the knowing." - Isaac Asimov

1999 SLK230 Sport - Magma Red
2011 Ford Escape Limited, Hybrid
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 12:06 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: SLK 230 2000 MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I searched for a couple of days concerning front brake pad replacement (via slk32.com's tutorial). I learned a lot but did not find much of an answer to my question:

Should the brake pedal feel any different after I change out the pads?

I did not bleed the brakes at any point, only took the cap off the fill and compressed the piston ala screwdriver leverage. But now I feel almost no difference in pedal feel, if anything if feels like I have to go down a little more than I did before, although it could be my imagination....

After 15 minute of light braking drive rotors are good and hot but no unusual or bad signs.

2001 SLK230 Wife's daily fair weather driver. 70,000 miles. Pads only, medium grade from Autozone. I know I could have gotten better off the 'net but she drives the car about 6 miles a day round trip, and drives like...well a lady.

Any input would be appreciated thank you!

-Michael
Hi, have seen a problem on various mercedes models where the brakes feel poor / strange after pad or fluid replacement, quite often traced to the fluid res cap being screwed on too tightly, it stops the cap 'breathing' to let air in as fluid is forced away. Check the cap, you may be surprised.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: PROUD OWNER! 2002 slk32 AMG
fluid absorbs water. breaks down after time. when was the last flush? its cheap and easy to do.
bye bye american pie theres a difference between bedding pads and letting them wear. bedding is a specofoc amount of hard braking from a specific speed to heat and cool the pads. wearing them is just that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in