LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
99 SLK crank, no start sometimes..HELP!

This car is driving me nuts, I have a 99 SLK 230. The car will crank, but not start sometimes. Put the key in the ignition and it will keep spinning even with my fingers off the key, I have to manually bring the key back to stop it. Replaced ignition switch and it seem to take care of the problem for about a week, then it did the same thing. Sometimes it will crank and run, but will quit, sometimes start, sometimes not. You can let it sit and it will start and sometimes not. What is the surround that goes around the tumbler(it has a wire on it and goes behind the instrument cluster)..if you pull it off, the car will spin and quit..when you put it back on the car will continue to spin..if you wiggle it sometimes the car will start..maybe just coincidence. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320 Auto in Linarite Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromeitcycles View Post
This car is driving me nuts, I have a 99 SLK 230. The car will crank, but not start sometimes. Put the key in the ignition and it will keep spinning even with my fingers off the key, I have to manually bring the key back to stop it. Replaced ignition switch and it seem to take care of the problem for about a week, then it did the same thing. Sometimes it will crank and run, but will quit, sometimes start, sometimes not. You can let it sit and it will start and sometimes not. What is the surround that goes around the tumbler(it has a wire on it and goes behind the instrument cluster)..if you pull it off, the car will spin and quit..when you put it back on the car will continue to spin..if you wiggle it sometimes the car will start..maybe just coincidence. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello, recently had the exact same problem on my 2001 SLK320. It turned out to be the Crankshaft Position Sensor (Fault Code P0335). I bought one from a MB dealer, but have since learned that there are possibly available from Bosch service centre`s, car has been perfect ever since !!
Regards Damian.

2001 SLK 320 in Linarite Blue / Black Leather Interior 16 " Wheels
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
After trying to start several times throughout the day, it finally started and runs fine.Restarted it several times...just letting it run now. I know when I shut it off and let it sit it WILL do this again...think it still could be the sensor? and where is it located..thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320
The CPS acts up mostly when it is hot but a few can do this when cold. They are located where the motor connects to the transmision. On top of the bell housing.

Women can fake orgasms. . . . men can fake whole relationships.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I started the car several times today, and with no problems it started everytime. Let the car sit for a couple hours and it started again with no problems. A little while ago I cranked it up, it ran for a couple minutes and quit..now it will not start again. Where is the fuel pump relay located, I am wondering if this could be the problem...I was going to shoot some starting fluid in the injector and see if it will run...
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
OK, shot starting fluid in the injector. Cranked up and ran till fluid was gone. Will not start now.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 04:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

You have a 99.. Have you read up on the K40 relay. It is a bank of relays that control your fuel and other things. It is located in the black box next to the battery. This thread has some pictures of what to look for when you get it open. https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...ssociated.html It takes less then 5 minutes to pull out once you find it.

Last edited by Chris A; 08-03-2009 at 04:53 PM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Were you able to check the K40.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I will check it this afternoon when I get home..and it is a 98 model..my mistake..but it should still have the same module..I will post my findings. Thanks
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Tried to start car when I got home, would only crank-no start. So I disconnected the neg. and removed the K40 module. Pulled it apart and found NO melted or unsoldered terminals..put it back in. Tried to crank it several times and finally it started and ran for about 2 mins and it shut off. Restarted, but only would run for a few seconds and quit. Now it is back to NOT starting. Any suggestions, fuel pump relay, weak fuel pump, crankshaft sensor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in