Hoping to see more first hand 32 reviews today. I think a couple of people are taking delivery today - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 09:35 AM
SteveL

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hoping to see more first hand 32 reviews today. I think a couple of people are taking delivery today

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 12:44 PM
Ran

Me too!

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 03:23 PM
Bruce R. - DC

I'll try a quickie, because I'm beat. I put 170 miles on my '32 today.....

(1) Power delivery is smooth, so smooth it's hard to believe you're moving as fast as you are as quick as you are.<br>
(2) Like in my 230K, the seats take time to adjust properly. I have a sore back from driving these last four hours, but I think I finally got them set right. The seat backs hold you in place very nicely, even the way I drive. My wife doesn't scream anywhere near as loud in the '32 as she did in the 230K.<br>
(3) There is no throttle pedal, only a foot operated trigger. This car can move!<br>
(4) The gas mileage at 24 highway is likely because of the transmission. It seems to like 4th gear, and must be forced into 5th at anything below ~55 mph.<br>
(5) The trans. shifts MUCH faster then my 230, and likely the 320's as well. Hit the trigger er I mean throttle, and you'er in a lower gear, NOW ! The trans. holds gears much longer as well, it's very noticeable.<br>
(6) The rear of the '32 sits about 1" lower then the rear on the 230K. I'll try to post some photo's tomorrow. <br>
Dora and Thor drew a lot of attention on the way home from the dealer this afternoon. Lots of thumbs up and smiles. They look good togeather in the driveway...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 05:53 PM
Ran

Thanks Bruce.......Enjoy!!!!!!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 06:37 PM
Scott

Congrats! ...but why is wife screaming?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 06:58 PM
HarleyB ò Seattle

Sounds like FUNNN!:-)

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 07:27 PM
Brian

A short review...

Picked up my car this morning. Wow!<br>
<br>
I am extremely satisfied with the Firemist/Alpaca combo. Firemist is absolutely stunning in bright sunlight. Interior appears smaller with mostly everything in black. I'm happy I got Alpaca to break up the monotony. I really wouldn't like the interior in solid charcoal. <br>
<br>
The first thing I noticed was that the suspension actually feels softer than my 230 Sport. I think I can attribute almost 100% of this to the Michelin Pilot Sports, which are much quieter and have a softer ride. The Conti SportContacts are junk in comparison.<br>
<br>
The car is quieter than my 230 Sport, again, maybe mostly due to tires, but I'm guessing they threw in some extra sound insulation, too.<br>
<br>
Acceleration is awesome, even though I'm babying it under 4000 RPM during the break-in.<br>
<br>
No real opportunities to test cornering ability, yet, but the steering feel is heavier and the steering wheel feels much better in my hand than the wheel in my '99 230, which looked nearly identical. Still wish it had a two-tone steering wheel and shift knob.<br>
<br>
I'm appreciating some of the upgrades that are on '01 and '02 models that were not on my '99, such as the trunk handle, body-colored door handles, interior chrome trim, new dome light, etc. I'm not thrilled about the Teleaid "bump" on the trunk, and I'm neutral about the decklid spoiler and indicator lights in the mirrors.<br>
<br>
The new owner's manual is a hardback book, which I hope makes it more durable. Unfortunately, the vinyl pouch is even bigger than in my '99, so it won't fit in the glove box or the pocket between the seats. Looks like it's going in the Tirefit storage area.<br>
<br>
I'm going to have to be really cautious to keep from getting a speeding ticket in this car. You accelerate much faster than you realize and you've got to keep an eye on the speedo. I gave it about 3/4 throttle going up an onramp onto the freeway coming home from the dealer. My wife turns to me and says "Be careful, you don't want to get a ticket." I said "I'm not..." then I look down an notice I'm going 90mph.<br>
<br>
Sorry, I can't say much more about it's sportyness because I haven't have a good opportunity to test much else.<br>
<br>
One problem: I notice a faint groaning from the steering column when you turn the steering wheel. Sounds like rubber against rubber, but maybe it's that old "dry bearing" problem that was in alot of early '98s and occurs every now and then on other SLKs.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 08:22 PM
calvin - seattle ,WA

congrats to all who got 32s finally..

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 09:41 PM
Kalle

Brian - Congrats to the delivery and WTTC - I think you'll really enjoy the new one!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 04:13 AM
Bruce R. - DC

She doesn't like the way I drive anymore then the Police do, but she's closer.. ;-))

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R170 SLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in