BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 98 e320 and 2000 sl600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
rich exhaust smell v12

Asking for advice on fixing this. 2000 v12 only 78k miles, replaced spark plugs, new MAF, replaced
vacuum hoses on top of engine. Cars runs great. No codes. I have already bought all new coils but have not used yet, no codes. I am thinking my next step might be replacing injectors maybe 4 at a time. No gas leaking anywhere. Do not drive the car much but when I return home and put in garage. I go back in after a bit and it smells RICH big time. Ok guys I need your best thoughts here
What's is most likely to be the problem on these cars? I seen things like ECU, please tell NO to that. Thanks pete --- any help appreciated, I live in Phoenix and probably won't attempt to fix until it gets cool around here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
When this happened to me, it was one of the 3 hoses that led to the carbon canister located in the driver's side front wheel well. It's actually in the rear part of the front wheel well.

The canister traps fuel vapor and when it leaks, it smells like fuel.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thank you very very much. I was starting to price fuel injectors. I would have never thought about the carbon canister and if I started looking for it, it would have taken me a while to find it. There is one under there I remember seeing it . I will check the hoses and replace all or whatever is needed. Thanks again, you helped me before when I was working on a difficult to replace sensor. I will send you a message when I fix it. I may find a sweat band and get under there sooner than October. thanks again pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: '82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Don’t waste your money with buying parts and throwing at you car. Sometimes the problem is way simpler than it seems.
I would almost eliminate the coils as a culprit. You say your car is a 2000, so degrading wires is pretty much non existent.
What I would check first is the fuel pressure regulator. If it’s bad, raw fuel will be sucked into the driver side plenum thru the vacuum hose, which on the M120 is the passenger side bank. The car will still run, but it will burn pig rich on the passenger side.
I suggest you check out soon what causes this rich condition, because you CAN ruin the engine in a hurry by either washing down the cylinder walls, or clogging up the converter.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks a lot for the reply. I will look into the operation of the pressure regulator and determine if I have a problem. It's hot here right now but I am gearing up for some work on the little monster with big motor. Thanks again pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in