Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

19" tires R129

6K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  z168 
#1 ·
Folks
I know there are a lot of people here who are not big fans of the larger tires, I am. Just curious if anyone has had success with 19" 9.5 front & 10.5 rears? There is a set I can get my hands on relatively cheap and they will look great. I know all the negatives i.e. ride etc, but I am really just interested if they will fit. When I use the online sites, it speaks to the overall width being about an inch wider on the front ( less concerned about the back). Has anyone tried this and if so, did you use spacers or do anything special to make it work?

oh, its a 1998 sl500
thanks

Darcy

#7 ·
thank you to everyone for the responses. Sorry, just to clarify with the offset. The offsets are 35 & 48. I struggle with understanding the offsets and the options. I think I need really low offsets to make this size fit i.e. 20-25? but if I understand this conceptually, the higher the # the closer to the body of the car, correct? So if these are too close to the struts or whatever, wouldn't spacers solve this? I know that might create an issue on the other side i.e. fender lip, but just trying to understand this.
thanks for the help

#8 ·
15mm front spacers and 25mm rear is what you will need plus you need the tire diameter on all 4 wheels to be 25.7" or close for speedo and cruise to be correct. So tire size I think would be 245/35 front and 275/30 rear and you probably will need to roll the rear fenders. Thats easy and cheap. At least this is what I would start with.

#13 ·
thanks again everyone.

I have seen all the posts on ET and offset and did review that before posting. I dont think there is anything there, or links to any sites that answered my question, which is why I posted. Most of those sites will tell you what the difference is and what the potential issues might be, but they dont actually tell you if they will clear or not, at least none of the ones I tried. I did put the tires on yesterday. They look great. I dont know how to tell if they are clear or not, other than a visual ( looked okay) and a test drive. Unfortunately, the test drive was not possible as the lug bolts were too long from my old set and the car would not move ( dont really understand what they are contacting on the other side, but anyway) . Gonna try again next weekend with the right length bolts and see what happens. He has spacers 10m and 30m that he will sell cheap. I think I should put those on just to be on the safe side?

oh btw, the guy was wrong about the width. they are 8.5 & 9.5!! so, identical to my 18's. the only issue ( I think) is the offset. So, not sure if the 10 & 30 will do the trick vs what someone here recommended, but its worth a try. He is asking $2k all in for these rims and tires ( 80% tread). I think its a pretty great deal if they work. I will keep everyone posted and will definitely put up some pics once they are in if everything works out.

thanks again

Darcy

p.s. this site drives me crazy sometimes. I had to reset my password four times before it worked. that is why I have not responded sooner. 3rd time this has happened to me in the last two years

#15 ·
What fits 19 inch 8.5 fronts and 9.5 rears rims?

So, from post #11 of the sticky, you should be using or adapting to ET25 in the front and ET28 in the rear. While using a 245/35R19 front and a 275/30R19 rear tire so the speedometer and cruise will function correctly on a R129. Really, you can use whatever tire and offset you want as long as you don't mind certain stuff not working on the vehicle. As for rolling a fender, Google it, but it's really only for slight interference. If you have massive interference, then you'd do best to break out the sawzall to cut away the fender and fashion some flares. People do it all the time to fit the rim and tire combos they want.

Which brings us to the lug issue. There's a part in the sticky on lug selection. Once again, you can read the sticky and follow the advice/knowledge, or go your own way.

Your too long lugs are passing through the rear wheel carrier and into the guts of the parking brake. Pop one of the rear tires off as well as the caliper and rotor to inspect the damage if you tried to move/drive the car in spite of the interference.

If the front lugs were too long also, then remove a front tire along with the corresponding caliper and rotor and see where the lug passed through the front wheel hub and impacted the brake backing plate.

Don't forget to tell us how you fare.

#16 ·
Hey everyone
The wheels fit and look great. Thank you all for your help along this process. We did end up using the spacers. I think it looks better with them. The wheels look flush to the body, which I think gives it a nice wide stance. With respects to the comments about ride comfort, I have to respectfully disagree. These wheels, with these particular run flats are smoother than my 18" set. in fact, I was so shocked, that had my friend who owns a 1996 version with 16" wheels test drive it. He said it was as smooth as his ride. So its not just my biased opinion.

anyway, love them, think they look great. pic attached

Attachments

#22 ·
The tires do look a little short on tread width.

What sizes did you settle on and which brand?

If the sizes are different than recommended and they don't conflict with the speedometer or cruise then we need to update the stickies for the next member. Everything helps.

#23 ·
sorry guys. I am having a hell of a time logging onto this site. I have tried for over a week with no success, only to try it to day ans it worked, all the same log in credentials. Not sure I am clear on the ask on the tires.
They are Pirrelli run flats, so yes, very low profile. I think they look great. Love how they are flush with the car with the spacers and I think they fill the wheel well very nicely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.