LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2019
Vehicle: SL 600 (hopefully soon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
R129 SL600 coliover conversion. What are my options?

I was wondering if there is a coilover conversion kit for the R129, SL600? Has anyone done this before? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnatic2c View Post
I was wondering if there is a coilover conversion kit for the R129, SL600? Has anyone done this before? Thanks!
Where are you, what year is your car?
Fill up your user profile and you may get some help!

No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLiner View Post
Where are you, what year is your car?
Fill up your user profile and you may get some help!
Don't actually have a car yet, but I'm thinking a 1998 to 2001 roughly. Jut want to know if its possible to swap out the active suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:03 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
When folks look to customize a classic car they usually pick a plain Jane.

If you found yourself with a straight six 68 Camaro and you wanted to cut the fenders off for 57 Cadillac tail fins, no one would care.

If you picked a rare car like a 67, 68 or 69 Yenko Camaro (360-ish cars over the 3 years), some folks might question your methodology.

Less than 5% of all R129s are V12 variants.

The V8 and 6 cylinder cars typically don't come with ADS (I or II) are easier to maintain and have a simpler suspension.

As to your original question, do a search on this website and you'll find the discussion you are looking for.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post
When folks look to customize a classic car they usually pick a plain Jane.

If you found yourself with a straight six 68 Camaro and you wanted to cut the fenders off for 57 Cadillac tail fins, no one would care.

If you picked a rare car like a 67, 68 or 69 Yenko Camaro (360-ish cars over the 3 years), some folks might question your methodology.

Less than 5% of all R129s are V12 variants.

The V8 and 6 cylinder cars typically don't come with ADS (I or II) are easier to maintain and have a simpler suspension.

As to your original question, do a search on this website and you'll find the discussion you are looking for.
I know, but this would be reversible I'm not cutting anything. I don't want to deal with hydraulics nightmares
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:03 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2015
Vehicle: 94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnatic2c View Post
I know, but this would be reversible I'm not cutting anything. I don't want to deal with hydraulics nightmares
If you get a 99 to 2001 low milage SL600 I doubt you'd have any major issues with the ADSII they are not hard to work on and there are plenty of parts for them. There are guys on the forum to help you. But unless you're a DIY then it will cost to own this car depending where you take it. Not every dealer has mechanics that know these cars and will pork you big time trying to fix one. Your best bet is to find a well seasoned independent that works on these and has all the Mercedes diagnostic equipment. As far as conversion that aint easy or cheap either. The shocks for that heavy car IMO would need to be Bilstein B6 and that's $1200.00 rite there. the B4's would not handle that car well. Plus you got the power steering pump to deal with. I also had fears when I bought my 99 but after 3 years I learned what I need to do and where to get any parts. So far no issues with this car as far as ADS suspension. All I've done is gaskets and suspension links and ball joints which are the same on my 98 SL500.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATHERTIME View Post
If you get a 99 to 2001 low milage SL600 I doubt you'd have any major issues with the ADSII they are not hard to work on and there are plenty of parts for them. There are guys on the forum to help you. But unless you're a DIY then it will cost to own this car depending where you take it. Not every dealer has mechanics that know these cars and will pork you big time trying to fix one. Your best bet is to find a well seasoned independent that works on these and has all the Mercedes diagnostic equipment. As far as conversion that aint easy or cheap either. The shocks for that heavy car IMO would need to be Bilstein B6 and that's $1200.00 rite there. the B4's would not handle that car well. Plus you got the power steering pump to deal with. I also had fears when I bought my 99 but after 3 years I learned what I need to do and where to get any parts. So far no issues with this car as far as ADS suspension. All I've done is gaskets and suspension links and ball joints which are the same on my 98 SL500.
Hmm, maybe I'll just go with the flow. I definitely intend to do the small stuff DIY.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:43 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
ADS is not a stand alone system, it's integrated (even with the headlights).

Here's a short overview of all the stuff you might be getting rid of.

AutoHex Diagnostic, Mercedes Benz Adaptive Damping System
FATHERTIME likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in