R129 Bose Stereo Question - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 1999 SL500
Location: Williamsburg, Virginia, United States of America
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
R129 Bose Stereo Question

Hey guys,

I'm putting in a pioneer aftermarket stereo in my 99 SL500 with the bose package.

I used an adapter on the front and rear speaker connections but am unsure how to connect the subwoofer
There's a separate connector for it with three wires running to it. The wires aren't labeled and I'm wondering if anyone knows a good solution to the problem. I'm trying to figure out at least which is the I'm assuming ground? wire of the three so I can find the left and right channels.

Thanks
sully1218 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:00 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
bartsitarski's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 1998 SL500 Sport
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1218 View Post
Hey guys,



I'm putting in a pioneer aftermarket stereo in my 99 SL500 with the bose package.



I used an adapter on the front and rear speaker connections but am unsure how to connect the subwoofer

There's a separate connector for it with three wires running to it. The wires aren't labeled and I'm wondering if anyone knows a good solution to the problem. I'm trying to figure out at least which is the I'm assuming ground? wire of the three so I can find the left and right channels.



Thanks


I got a harness from Crutchfield when I ordered my deck. It was literally plug and play after matching the wires. It had RCA jacks as part of the harness that plugged into the back of the deck and the sub works fine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bartsitarski is online now  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 1999 SL500
Location: Williamsburg, Virginia, United States of America
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey did you use the sub outputs in the reciever? I got a harness from crutchfield too and it only had the four outputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1218 View Post
Hey guys,



I'm putting in a pioneer aftermarket stereo in my 99 SL500 with the bose package.



I used an adapter on the front and rear speaker connections but am unsure how to connect the subwoofer

There's a separate connector for it with three wires running to it. The wires aren't labeled and I'm wondering if anyone knows a good solution to the problem. I'm trying to figure out at least which is the I'm assuming ground? wire of the three so I can find the left and right channels.



Thanks


I got a harness from Crutchfield when I ordered my deck. It was literally plug and play after matching the wires. It had RCA jacks as part of the harness that plugged into the back of the deck and the sub works fine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sully1218 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:25 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: M113 SL500
Location: USA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
You don't use the low level RCA subwoofer outputs from your pioneer stereo to send a signal to the bose subwoofer. The bose amp uses the high level speaker output signal from your headunit and amplifies the low frequencies to the subwoofer.

What you're talking about with a separate connector with three wires running to it, I have no idea. Pics?
brauhaus is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 1999 SL500
Location: Williamsburg, Virginia, United States of America
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I would but I sort of cut them off. I believe they are the cd changers wires and maybe automatic antenna. Just to be clelar though you used the front and rear outputs on the stereo? I appreciate it,

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brauhaus View Post
You don't use the low level RCA subwoofer outputs from your pioneer stereo to send a signal to the bose subwoofer. The bose amp uses the high level speaker output signal from your headunit and amplifies the low frequencies to the subwoofer.

What you're talking about with a separate connector with three wires running to it, I have no idea. Pics?
sully1218 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:04 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: M113 SL500
Location: USA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Actually, come to think of it, for the R129 (sorry, I have more than 1 Merc with this generation of Bose), I think the bose system only uses the front speaker outputs as a signal to the bose amp, and the bose amp processes the signal and distributes it throughout the cabin's speakers. That's why at least in my 1999 SL, there was no front to rear fading with the stock headunit.

In short, you wire the speaker level wires to the harness. You don't use the subwoofer RCA outputs. You won't have independent subwoofer control with your Pioneer headunit, just like you didn't with your stock headunit.

Check the pinouts of your stock wiring harness. Are there rear speaker outputs that correspond to the pinouts for rear speakers on your adapter harness?
brauhaus is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 1999 SL500
Location: Williamsburg, Virginia, United States of America
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Okay I have the 80-PRS so I have the 6 preouts if that makes a difference. The wiring harness that crutchfield sent had 4 connectors so I used them for the front and rear. The unit isnt being as loud as it should so I was confused whether I actually needed all four or just the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brauhaus View Post
Actually, come to think of it, for the R129 (sorry, I have more than 1 Merc with this generation of Bose), I think the bose system only uses the front speaker outputs as a signal to the bose amp, and the bose amp processes the signal and distributes it throughout the cabin's speakers. That's why at least in my 1999 SL, there was no front to rear fading with the stock headunit.

In short, you wire the speaker level wires to the harness. You don't use the subwoofer RCA outputs

Check the pinouts of your stock wiring harness. Are there rear speaker outputs that correspond to the pinouts for rear speakers on your adapter harness?
sully1218 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:48 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: M113 SL500
Location: USA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
The harness you were sent by cruthfield, do they have RCA connections or speaker wire connections?

As a kinda/sorta aside, I also have an 80prs in my R129. The gain structure on this headunit is such that you have to turn the volume up a lot more than you think you should. Not saying this is the problem you're having now, but it could be contributing.

Is your 80prs switched out of network mode?
brauhaus is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 1999 SL500
Location: Williamsburg, Virginia, United States of America
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I left it in the mode it started in, which according to the manual is standard. The harness has the adapter for that big plug that went into the old reciever. It has wires for the ground and 12v connections as well as 2 RCA (4 plugs) connectors. I plugged in the four for the front and rear in the preouts. I dont think the rear speakers are doing anything thats whats weird. I like it pretty loud but I need like 58 of 62 volume to be happy at normal road speed

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brauhaus View Post
The harness you were sent by cruthfield, do they have RCA connections or speaker wire connections?

As a kinda/sorta aside, I also have an 80prs in my R129. The gain structure on this headunit is such that you have to turn the volume up a lot more than you think you should. Not saying this is the problem you're having now, but it could be contributing.

Is your 80prs switched out of network mode?
sully1218 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:28 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: M113 SL500
Location: USA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Ok, this has been discussed on this forum before. You ought to do a search, but you'll get more volume if you use the harness that has speaker wire connections instead of RCA, or you can cut off the rca connectors and wire in your speaker wires. The bose amp needs more signal volts than the preamp signal provides. 5v preouts on the 80prs sounds like a lot compared to other headunits with 2-4v, but this is 5v max, and speaker level voltage is much higher.

If you're going to remove the headunit to do so, just make sure that network switch is set to standard. Before you do that, you can also check if your output levels are maxed out on the 80prs. Go to audio settings and Front HPF2 and turn up levels to 0.

If you're going to bother with an 80prs, I'd suggest ditching the bose amp and speakers and going with the setup where you can start using all the features the 80prs has. The way you want to set it up now wouldn't be any better than if you bought one of Pioneer's ~$100 units, except for maybe time alignment and # of EQ bands.
brauhaus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome