LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 1991 500SL; 2014 GLK250 BlueTEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Center Console Vacuum Lock Inoperative ('91 SL)

In my '91 500SL, all of the interior compartments (sunglass storage, tape/cassette storage, door pockets, rear storage bins) vacuum lock correctly when I use the key to turn the lock by the center vents. The only compartment that doesn't lock is the center console. I've had the center console out, disconnected the black vacuum hose from it, and could not feel any vacuum pressure at the hose's yellow connector while turning the vacuum lock on and off.

My question is, where does this black rubber vacuum hose lead to, as I'm thinking that either the tube is cracked somewhere along the way, or the other end isn't connected?

Any info. or experience in dealing with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:19 AM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Does it lock when the car is locked from outside?

Best Regards...

RM Smith
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:27 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathung View Post
My question is, where does this black rubber vacuum hose lead to...
I presume it leads directly to the vacuum distributor located atop the transmission tunnel behind the console. For a look you would remove the wooden covering over the storage compartments and the carpet covering the floor of the compartments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ears View Post
Does it lock when the car is locked from outside?
I've never tried this - this assumes that the center console is on the same vacuum circuit as the door/trunk locks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobterry99 View Post
I presume it leads directly to the vacuum distributor located atop the transmission tunnel behind the console. For a look you would remove the wooden covering over the storage compartments and the carpet covering the floor of the compartments.
"wooden covering over the storage compartments and the carpet covering the floor of the compartments" - are these the two compartments behind the seats, or the "shelf"? The two covers may be made of wood, but are covered with carpet. The passenger side compartment has a plastic bottom covering that can be removed by undoing three plastic nuts, under which are a number of electrical control units - is this different from your car? Mine's a '91.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:53 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Vehicle: '03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
Quote:
...this assumes that the center console is on the same vacuum circuit as the door/trunk locks?
They are on separate pneumatic circuits, as there is one for the vehicle interior which can operate independently of the one for the exterior.

Quote:
The passenger side compartment has a plastic bottom covering that can be removed by undoing three plastic nuts, under which are a number of electrical control units - is this different from your car?
Yours is identical to mine. You actually can leave that plastic cover in place, probably, but it may be easier if you remove it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobterry99 View Post
They are on separate pneumatic circuits, as there is one for the vehicle interior which can operate independently of the one for the exterior.

Yours is identical to mine. You actually can leave that plastic cover in place, probably, but it may be easier if you remove it.
I've found it, more easily accessible from inside the driver's side storage compartment, rather than the passenger side (no hard plastic cover, just soft black carpeting that can be lifted). I'll dig into it when I'm home later.

Is there another vacuum distributor anywhere else in the car? Fumbling with the rear storage console and replacing the its lid-opening gas strut a few days ago, I noticed that the vacuum hose actually snaked forward, after exiting the console unit, along with the two wires (alarm and console light); all three seemed pinched under the car's carpeting/floorboard, and I wonder if this seeming pinch is preventing air from passing through the vacuum hose (though this seems like the factory setup, and I'm sure that the locking worked when the car was new).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:35 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Is there another vacuum distributor anywhere else in the car?
There is one located in the vicinity of the various electronic modules in the engine compartment, but it has nothing at all to do with locking.

I'd have another look at the pinched line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in