Restored My deactivated ADS (Kinda) - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:01 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG129 View Post
I measured ad you said between pins 21 and 23 in the ADS module connector, I got the following

DCV = 7.28
ACV = 5.28

Does that sound right so far?
Those measurements seem plausible to me. I'd take a measurement on my car and compare, but I don't have a multimeter at the moment. If you send a PM to Pazo, maybe he'll check his car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2016
Vehicle: 1991 500SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobterry99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG129 View Post
I measured ad you said between pins 21 and 23 in the ADS module connector, I got the following

DCV = 7.28
ACV = 5.28

Does that sound right so far?
Those measurements seem plausible to me. I'd take a measurement on my car and compare, but I don't have a multimeter at the moment. If you send a PM to Pazo, maybe he'll check his car.
Ok sounds good, I'll try to reinstall the old style SAS in the next couple of days and report back my findings here
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok got a new update.

So I changed the ADS N51 module and went back to use the older style SAS. I noticed that both the airbag and the horn were offline as well with the old style SAS. I figure that's because of the rewiring that we had to do to fit the new style SAS and 97 AMG steering wheel with the horn buttons.

After rewiring and using the old style combination switch with the two brass/copper contacts. We found out that the horn contact plate was sitting too deep in the steering wheel, so we used some 2mm screw washers and stacked them to make the contact ring sit further out in the steering wheel.

Assemble and the ADS light went away after full lock left and right, the horn works and the SRS light went away as well.

However, this doesn't have a happy ending. The light did stay off, but the switch to raise and lower the car lights up when pressed but the car doesn't respond. I know the car raises and lowers when you operate the lever underneath the car on the front and rear ends respectively. So that means it must be the part that attaches to the main ADS distributor and has a solenoid and connectors. When I press the button to raise or lower, I don't hear any clicks from that area.

I remember Pazo and GUSMB writing a post about this very same issue and taking apart that distributor and cleaning a clogged small filter and some other parts. I will try to follow in their steps and see what happens.

One more thing, with the ADS MIl off, I thought I would finally try that "magic carpet ride" as described by most members here. However, it doesn't feel very different than before. Probably not as stiff but not as comfortable as I thought it would be. If I was driving blind, I would swear it was a regular suspension car. Then again, maybe because it is malfunctioning and doesn't raise or lower by switch or at speed, so the ride is compromised?

And how big of a difference is the sport/comfort switch? Sometimes I notice it, but sometimes I feel it's placebo effect, but I only had half a day to try it out and perhaps didn't push it as hard as it could go.

Anyone with ADS cars feel free to chime in.

Sorry for the super long post
Pazo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:32 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 1998 E300D 1995 SL600
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
From what I've gathered after reading many, many posts, I would start with checking all of the suspect wiring harnesses. You've already indicated the oil level wire was bad. I would check all the harness for insulation failure first. I'm about ready to acquire a 95 SL600 and that will be my first project, rewiring the harnesses.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud06 View Post
From what I've gathered after reading many, many posts, I would start with checking all of the suspect wiring harnesses. You've already indicated the oil level wire was bad. I would check all the harness for insulation failure first. I'm about ready to acquire a 95 SL600 and that will be my first project, rewiring the harnesses.
Hello Spud06

My car is a 91MY with CIS KE-Jetronic fuel injection, so it is exempt from the wire harness issue that affected the 93-95 LH fuel injection cars. The wire of the oil level switch I mentioned was a bit brittle yes but just the end connecting to the oil level sender, due to age and extreme heat here.

I'm suspecting the ride height solenoid that Pazo mentioned in his post and I pm'd him as well regarding that. I didn't have free time yet to tackle this issue, but most probably I will in the next week or so.

Now everything works fine with the exception of the ride height switch. After some high speed testing I can confirm that the sport/comfort button works. The car has way less body roll when sport mode is activated, and is a bit forgiving when comfort is selected.

The only thing that is a tiny bit disappointing is the level of comfort with ADS isn't what people claim or made it up to be. Then again, I probably had very high expectations. I've been watching a lot of those old Citroen videos to get a better understanding of how the system works, but most probably the Citroen older cars have a much different iteration of the system that is geared more towards comfort. Some of those cars can drive on three wheels

I'm quite happy with the sport side of it but the comfort side isn't as comfortable as my 1996 E320 W210. That car has 16 inch tires though and I have the staggered 18 inch AMG setup. So that probably explains it.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok so here's an update.

My ADS works but not the button to raise or lower the car. The sport comfort button works and I have no dash lights at all. I read Pazo's thread and tried installing three different solenoids that control this function, One of them raised the car a tiny bit and then stopped as fluid rushed out of the hex screw as it wasn't properly tightened. We re-bled the system properly but it still doesn't work.

I test the solenoid with a car battery and it gives an audible click when 12volts are applied. You can also feel that click if you put your hand on the solenoid while installed in the car and have someone press the raising button.

I removed the sintered filter completely but still nothing, bled the car and tried again but still nothing.

Now I know that the car works perfectly and raised when you raise the lever by hand, I also know that the solenoid gives an audible click when you press the button or test it with a battery. That means the car is getting the electrical signal to raise, but it not sending enough oil pressure into the front and rear pistons that are attached to the levers. We are able to move the piston earlier but not it seems much tighter.

Does my problem lie within the solenoid or the pistons that should push up on the levers or something else entirely?
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:41 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2017
Vehicle: R129 500SL 1993, W205 C200 2014.
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
AG129, glad to hear your ADS works now.

ADS1 height control is a simple system, where majority of problems is related to dirt or leaks.
- You write that you have verified the two-way solenoid; it clicks when height change is selected.
- You also mention you have removed the tiny sintered filter from your main valve (Y36).
- Your control rod pistons could be jammed but unlikely both have failed simultaneously. Rods can be checked by looking at them when an assistant operates the height control switch – they’d change length immediately.

So the remaining issue I can think of is jammed check valve in the main control valve. There are three check valves that the sliding piston actuates. The suspect one is behind the scrub screw in oil channel ”S”. When the car runs, also this check valve opens and delivers pressure to Y36 height control from front spheres. I managed to clean this valve by accessing from both sides with thin steel wires plus compressed air. AFAIK this check valve cannot be dismantled. This is only my best guess since you write ”not sending enough oil pressure into the front and rear pistons that are attached to the levers”.
There are a few relevant pictures in this (somewhat exhaustive) thread: https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r12...pension-3.html

Good luck!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazo View Post
AG129, glad to hear your ADS works now.

ADS1 height control is a simple system, where majority of problems is related to dirt or leaks.
- You write that you have verified the two-way solenoid; it clicks when height change is selected.
- You also mention you have removed the tiny sintered filter from your main valve (Y36).
- Your control rod pistons could be jammed but unlikely both have failed simultaneously. Rods can be checked by looking at them when an assistant operates the height control switch – they’d change length immediately.

So the remaining issue I can think of is jammed check valve in the main control valve. There are three check valves that the sliding piston actuates. The suspect one is behind the scrub screw in oil channel ”S”. When the car runs, also this check valve opens and delivers pressure to Y36 height control from front spheres. I managed to clean this valve by accessing from both sides with thin steel wires plus compressed air. AFAIK this check valve cannot be dismantled. This is only my best guess since you write ”not sending enough oil pressure into the front and rear pistons that are attached to the levers”.
There are a few relevant pictures in this (somewhat exhaustive) thread: https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r12...pension-3.html

Good luck!
Hey Pazo

I looked at the thread but couldn't identify the check valve you are talking about. I took a screenshot and circled round the S oil channel. Is this it or do you mean the S channel in the main valve/distributor where all the hydraulic lines are connected?

How do I check that it opens when the car runs? Don you mean to disconnect the oil line at S in the main distributor? I believe the main distributor feeds two lines to the front height valve and two lines to the rear one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190806-023654_Chrome_1565048668725.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	692.0 KB
ID:	2532766  
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:18 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
The ADS system is engineered more for highway use rather than the old Citroen setup which seemed designed to traverse a plowed field. I think I even remember seeing a video of an old DS that was still mobile after removing 1 wheel. The ADS option doesn't offer those capabilities.

For an inkling into what ADS can do, read either the ADS I or ADS II information/maintenance (I only know about the ADS II system).

https://arkiv.mbentusiastklubb.no/te...129-ads-ii.pdf

Having owned an ADS II equipped R129 for a few years, I can say there is a noticeable difference between the hard fault ride, the Comfort setting and Sport. I've experienced all these situations. I can also say that tire selection does play a part as well. I've never experienced the ride with the 16 inch tires, but the Continental ExtremeContact tires on the 18 inch AMG Aero II rims was pretty good. My current General Tire equipped wheels are a little noisier and harsher, but the price was right and they are lasting WAY longer while offering better handling.

I can't help but think that the original 16 inch rims would provide the most luxurious ADS ride due to the volume of captured air per tire. The 18 inch rims are adequate for comfort, but most likely not ideal. I find the greatest use of the ADS system for highway travel. If the road is in good condition, the Sport setting provides a tighter chassis, but when the road surface degrades or has expansion joints, a flick of the ADS rocker to Comfort does a nice job in muting a jarring ride.

The R129 is a GT and ADS makes it a more enjoyable tourer.
roadhouse likes this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:04 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2017
Vehicle: R129 500SL 1993, W205 C200 2014.
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Well AG129,

Opposite to your upper encircled "S" is a grub screw with 3 mm allen head. In this channel there is one of the three check-valves the sliding valve actuates. This specific S-channel valve provides oil pressure for the height control rods, front & rear. My hypothesis is that you could have dirt/sludge in this valve. It cannot be disassembled but you can try move the check-valve by pressing with thin wire from both sides until the valve moves freely, maybe 1-2 mm. Sorry to say, to do this you must disassemble your ADS1 main control valve.

See also Jon Bearpark's drawing in this thread. Also, see this picture.

Hope I managed to clarify…?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in