BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2015
Vehicle: 94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Door noise

My 98 SL500 doors seem to not close tight. When closed I can push the inward and get a noise. If I move the striker in to eliminate this than the doors don't line up with the body and the inside handle does not release the door easy. So I'm wondering if new door rubber would increase the pressure to keep the doors tight and not hinder the locks. Has anyone else experienced this and where do I get the new door seals?

John;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:14 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2019
Vehicle: 1995 and 1996 SL320 One Keeper One For Sale
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
You have a number of component in play here. You have the door, the hinges, the striker plate and the latch. IMO, once latched, that door should not be moving at all anymore. Pushing, pulling, that door should be secured with no movement. The door gasket should just be filling the gap between the door and body to eliminate wind and water seepage. I'd compare latch operation with your others and see if they don't lock into place, as I describe. If they do, look into the latch assembly for wear or missing parts like nuts or screws.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I have kinda suspected the locks nothing is missing or broke that I can see. But why would both of them go at the same time? I guess I could get new ones

John;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:44 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATHERTIME View Post
I have kinda suspected the locks nothing is missing or broke that I can see. But why would both of them go at the same time? I guess I could get new ones
If it is the door gasket, your 94 should be able to make the same noise, just with more force needed to compress its gaskets. Or the 600, design should be the same. But both doors at the same time makes no sense. Both gaskets failing at the same time makes no sense either. The passenger door should be getting used maybe 50% of what the driver door is. See what your other cars do before thinking of ordering any parts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:10 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: R129 500 SL 1991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Garage
It's the seals. Get new ones if it bothers you.

Not convinced? Remove seals. Close door, gently. When latched you will feel freeplay.

Seal holds door closed against latch.

If price of new seals is a factor, you might be able to boost pressure of the old inner seals with a length of rubber tube inserted into old.

Suggest you post a photo of your door seal.
FATHERTIME likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipThome View Post
If it is the door gasket, your 94 should be able to make the same noise, just with more force needed to compress its gaskets. Or the 600, design should be the same. But both doors at the same time makes no sense. Both gaskets failing at the same time makes no sense either. The passenger door should be getting used maybe 50% of what the driver door is. See what your other cars do before thinking of ordering any parts.
The 99 is tight it takes a lot of force to move the door but it will move some. the 98 moves pretty easy about a 1/16". The 94 is 500 miles away from me at the moment. I have installed new strikers and moved them in but then doors don't line up with the body and the latches get hard to release. It's not a big deal but I'm kinda anal with noises and oil smells so I want the cars to be in new condition. When I go over certain bumps the door makes noise. I have replaced both regulators and tightened every nut and bolt in the doors and panels. It's pretty hard to tell where rattles come from in these cars so I will try to eliminate anything I find to be suspect.

John;

Last edited by FATHERTIME; 06-16-2019 at 08:26 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Here are photos of one of the seals it does feel pretty weak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	839.5 KB
ID:	2520664   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0254.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	679.2 KB
ID:	2520666  

John;
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATHERTIME View Post
The 99 is tight it takes a lot of force to move the door but it will move some. the 98 moves pretty easy about a 1/16".
You're lucky to have others to compare with. This also makes it a bit easier to diagnose. At this point it comes down to "which one is different from the others". Anyways, you determined the latches have some "travel" left in them when closed so we can cancel out those. It might be the door gaskets as you originally thought. You also state being anal, which I can't blame you for, so I am assuming others might not detect the situation you are trying to rectify. Those door gasket look fine to me but you are the only one here able to tell how much "cush" they still have to them. I'm not sure how Mercedes put them in, but back in the olden days we had cars that could have used them but never put them in. The reasons back then then were twofold, one they were expensive and two you never got them to fit right making them a PITA to put in. The anal part of not cranking the door in causing it to not line up is a smart move. The other side of that cranking is the other jam of the door where the hinges are located. Sure don't want to "tweak" those or the door where they bolt to. If you are going to go with the gaskets, try uninstalled one starting point to how how Mercedes puts them in to begin with.
FATHERTIME likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in