Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Door noise

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ChipThome 
#1 ·
My 98 SL500 doors seem to not close tight. When closed I can push the inward and get a noise. If I move the striker in to eliminate this than the doors don't line up with the body and the inside handle does not release the door easy. So I'm wondering if new door rubber would increase the pressure to keep the doors tight and not hinder the locks. Has anyone else experienced this and where do I get the new door seals?

#2 ·
You have a number of component in play here. You have the door, the hinges, the striker plate and the latch. IMO, once latched, that door should not be moving at all anymore. Pushing, pulling, that door should be secured with no movement. The door gasket should just be filling the gap between the door and body to eliminate wind and water seepage. I'd compare latch operation with your others and see if they don't lock into place, as I describe. If they do, look into the latch assembly for wear or missing parts like nuts or screws.

#4 ·
If it is the door gasket, your 94 should be able to make the same noise, just with more force needed to compress its gaskets. Or the 600, design should be the same. But both doors at the same time makes no sense. Both gaskets failing at the same time makes no sense either. The passenger door should be getting used maybe 50% of what the driver door is. See what your other cars do before thinking of ordering any parts.

#5 ·
It's the seals. Get new ones if it bothers you.

Not convinced? Remove seals. Close door, gently. When latched you will feel freeplay.

Seal holds door closed against latch.

If price of new seals is a factor, you might be able to boost pressure of the old inner seals with a length of rubber tube inserted into old.

Suggest you post a photo of your door seal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.