LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
R129 Door Switch Blows Fuse 13?

Awhile back I posted how the seats, mirrors, etc will not adjust unless either door is open on my 98 SL500.

I found that Fuse #13 is blown everytime the door is closed.

I did a test - I left the door open, put a new fuse in, adjusted the seat, while it was moving, pushed the door "switch" (black plastic rod on the door), and it immediately stopped moving and the fuse was blown. Until I let go... then it moved again.

Could it just be a bad door switch? Seems extreme to blow a 20A fuse. I have already changed the convenience relay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:56 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxyxixe View Post
Could it just be a bad door switch?
It seems to me a bad switch would not switch any circuits when the door is closed. You have circuits being switched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxyxixe View Post
I found that Fuse #13 is blown everytime the door is closed.
With the doors closed the fuse which powers the convenience relay and is required for the seats to move is fuse 22, I believe. Fuse 13 powers the cigarette lighter and a few other things but has no association with seat controls as far as I can tell. So I can't make any sense of what's happening in your case and wonder if wiring has been altered in some way.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:08 PM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I can’t be sure if this matters, but the seat switches on my 97 are live when the door is open, even without the key having been turned on.

Best Regards...

RM Smith
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobterry99 View Post
It seems to me a bad switch would not switch any circuits when the door is closed. You have circuits being switched.

With the doors closed the fuse which powers the convenience relay and is required for the seats to move is fuse 22, I believe. Fuse 13 powers the cigarette lighter and a few other things but has no association with seat controls as far as I can tell. So I can't make any sense of what's happening in your case and wonder if wiring has been altered in some way.
13 also controls the convenience relay, hence my thought connection.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/att...-fuse-card.pdf
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:37 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
From my perspective you need to first establish which is correct: the schematic from Mercedes' "Starfinder 2008" application or that fuse chart.

To do that you can remove the convenience relay and identify its connector sockets which are sequentially numbered from 1 to 6. Socket #5 is wired to chassis ground. The schematic shows fuse 22 is wired to socket #4, but see if it is in fact 13. Next, measure resistance from the fuse to the socket with the key off, or with the key on you can look for 12 volts to show/disappear when the fuse is installed/removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in