post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 2000 SL500 Magma Red Java 2006 Black SL500
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Top Hydraulics

Good morning. I recently purchased my 2000 SL500. One reason that I chose this specific car was because the canvas top was brand new and the hydraulics had been rebuilt/replaced. Well 3 weeks later and the driveway has a few unsightly hydraulic oil spots. I looked under the car and on the left/drivers side in front of the rear wheel is the usual culprit. Hydraulic oil is leaking from right where the jack goes and also it seems that it's leaking where the rubber drain is which is a little further forward from the jack point.

I'm going to order through top hydraulics like I have in the past. Looking on the site I'm not sure exactly which cylinders that I need. Does anyone know what cylinder(s) I'll need? Since the cylinders were rebuilt/replaced (supposedly) I don't really want to jump the gun and order all 11 as the labor is a lot of money. I did check inside the trunk and there isn't any hydraulic oil leaking into the trunk.

On a separate note, is it possible that a connection isn't tight as it's a slow leak. My 91 when these went bad, just dumped the fluid out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:03 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
The TH site includes inspection as well as which puddle matches which cylinder.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 2000 SL500 Magma Red Java 2006 Black SL500
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thank you. I looked in the DIY section and it shows all of the locations for the cylinders, but I'm not seeing where there is a puddle guide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:26 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Click on each of the respective cylinders to determine if they are leaking and where the puddle is likely to appear.

https://www.tophydraulics.com/conten...benz-r129-info
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:29 PM
Supporting Vendor

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: Too Many to List
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Hi Kindle, we also carry a variety of top cylinders: https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/c...der?s=d&page=1

Visit the AutohausAZ Vendor Section for special pricing for Benzworld members:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Featured Parts:
Bosch Fuel Filter 1457434153 for 300DT, 300SD, 240D, 300D, 300TDT, 300CDT, 300TD, & 300CD:

URO Parts Fuel Sending Unit 123 542 0404 for 300DT, 240D, 300D, 300CDT, 230, 280E, 300CD, & 280CE:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 65 220SEb, 97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Garage
If you're really at a loss to figure it out drop Klaus an email or call.

And don't forget when you buy from Top Hydraulics you're dealing with someone who has direct knowledge of the system you're working on, and will gladly provide assistance over the phone or via email at no additional charge.

Klaus is often a contributor to this forum during his off season.

His willingness to help me get my top latches properly adjusted after I installed them made the difference between me fumbling around for a couple of hours to spending about five minutes on the phone with him and having them work flawlessly ever since.

The level of support Klaus provides is second to none.
roadhouse and wlb50 like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1996 SL500, 2000 E430
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
...The level of support Klaus provides is second to none.
I'd agree - not a bit of trouble to my top since I did it last year - and that thing is always going up or down.

I'm going to drive up the OR coast in a couple of weeks and may just drop by to say hello...and thanks.

It's a beautiful drive and Florence is right on the ocean.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:54 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2015
Vehicle: 2000 SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Operate the soft top and stop it when the top is closed and when the rear cover is up and the rear bow is up. With the bow up and cover open you can get a look at all the cylinders in the rear of the car; main, bow, rear locks and cover cylinders. Get a good flashlight and look at the main cylinder and bow cylinders on the leaking side. If either is leaking you'll see it. Let us know what you see.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 04:34 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1997 SL 500 w/Pano, 1999 CLK 320
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Last fall, I drove to Florence and used a local shop he said had experience with the cylinder swap.
Klaus stopped by twice to see how it was going, in addition to delivering the parts.

It was a nice mini vacation. My wife enjoyed the trip so much the cost of the repair went unmentioned!

In our way out of town, visited TH and met Klaus, his wife and lab puppy. Nice folks.

BTW: There is a nice military museum...with plenty of vehicles...not far from TH.
Also, go to the boat ramp on the river downtown and you'll likely see seals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in