SL600 Silver Arrow - what is fair market price today? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2016
Vehicle: 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow, 2001 SL500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipThome View Post
If the earlier post stating that MB only built 100 of these for the entire planet is correct, let me save you some time, THERE ARE NO OTHER ONES, ANYWHERE !!!

From here on out, I know what I am talking about because I've got 50 years in the used car biz. You have found a unicorn, a one and only, something impossible to duplicate. There's only one reason to not buy this one and that is because you can not afford however much it is that it takes to own it.

If you walk on this one, forever this one is going to be the benchmark you use to judge every other one you might encounter. You won't be comparing any others to the run of the mill 2002 SLXXX. Although those others might be far nicer than the average SL, trust me, they won't ever be as sweet as this one will be in your memory.

I couldn't even begin to be able to count how many times I heard a customer say "you know..... I shoulda".

Good Luck !!!
@ChipThome - Wow, thank you for the sage advice!

You really got me thinking! Mostly about the cars I didn't buy in my past, but should have. And I didn't buy because they were "a little more expensive than I though they should be".

Like the '67 Shelby GT500 Fastback I didn't buy in 1979 because I thought $13K was "way too much", and the... (I don't want to continue this exercise it's making me sick!)

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share some of your 50 years of experience with me. I'm taking it to heart. Thank you!

(PS:@mahunt is correct, there were only 100 SL600 Silver Arrows ever made.)
ChipThome likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
If there were only 100 made the chances of you finding another with this low mileage and all accessories is indeed slim to none . If the asking price is anywhere near your budget buy it and enjoy it , and avoid the regret of passing by the one that got away
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If it is indeed a good buy,.rare, etc....buyers will be beating the door down to buy it...it will sell easily...

We are here on earth to do good unto others.
What the others are here for, I have no idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:55 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This should go for upwards of $35K. The market price of 129’s is slowly starting to creep up as the 230’s are now at the bottom on the depreciation curve. Sites like bringatrailer are doing a very effective job education prospective buyers of historical value performances of all generation SL’s. Buyers are sharper now than just two or three years ago. This is especially true for any low mile special edition car. All that being said a final model year SA 600 w low miles is arguably the most sought after 129 ever produced, excluding the unicorn SL73. There were only 100 SL600 SA’s produced for the US Market. If you are a serious buyer whose intention is to show the car and preserve the example as it should be my advice is:spend the money. An extra 10k today will yield substantial returns if aforementioned conditions are met. These are RARE. If you want it don’t vacillate. They only pop up for sale every 2-3 years at best.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:39 AM
Undercover Moderator

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Speaking of rare Silver Arrow.....

Brabus R129 limited edition Silver Arrow V12 & V8

Brabus SL 7.3 Silver Arrow 1 of 1 are made

Brabus SL 5.8 Silver Arrow 1 of 1 are made

Horsepower: enough power to go from point A to point B
Torque: enough to get the car moving

0-60 mph: not in a rush
0-1/4 mile: about 5 minutes @ 2mph because no need to showoff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

My favorite topic,
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:24 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Silver Arrow body trim, but not on the hard top?

Still, very nice and incredibly rare.

As part of my V12 differences thread, I was going to document the BAS system. I notice that the BAS hardware isn't present on the V12 SA. I wonder if BAS was replaced by one of the other electronic options, like ASD for ESP or ASR.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow (Sold May 2019 after 11 1/2 years)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
BUY the SA SL600!! You'll keep it several years, it will still have tremendous value when (if) you sell it. Drive it, enjoy it, don't worry about the future value - which will still be good. Like has been said above - there were only 100 made, and this one has all the accompanying swag. I just sold my SA SL500, and over 11.5 years, between purchase and sale the depreciation was less than $1,500 per year. Cannot beat that.

BUY IT!! Quickly!!
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:26 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: see sig
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to yvrbenz
My dad just picked up a 66,000 mile SL500 SA a couple of weeks ago.

This is not the kind of car that you buy on logic. Because logic dictates that you look for the best R129 that you can get for what you are willing to pay. There are far better deals to be had in terms of bang for your buck because, technically and mechanically speaking, there is not much difference between an SA and a regular 2002 R129. Brakes are about it.

This is the kind of car that you buy on emotion because you like the car and what it represents; which is the run-out model of the R129. This is doubly so for the SL600SA. Being the last of the breed it will have all of the production upgrades that the early models did not have.

The thing is that R129s are not inherently revolutionary cars like the 300SL Gullwings or the 190E Cosworths (particualrly the Evos) or the 6.3s, 6.9s and 500Es were, so while you could buy it as an investment, I think it will still be another 15-ish years before you really see an uptick in the value of an R129.

While you *might* be able to find a really nice, lower mileage one for not too much money ($10 - 15K), there is a good chance that you are going to have to put more money into it sooner rather than later. Especially if you have to replace the softop hydraulics (~$8K IIRC), never mind anything else that needs to be done to keep a 20-ish year old car up to snuff.

On the other hand, you can get low mileage R230s for not too much money (mid-$20ks) and you get a newer, more advanced car than the R129. More advanced meaning, just as an example, that you have the folding hardtop so you don't have to store the hard top or deal with a deteriorating soft top, and you have that much longer before you have to face the possibility of having to overhaul ITS hydrulic system.

Than all having been said, the SA is a little bit different because it's a special edition, but again, it's differences are mostly superficial, so it's not like we're talking about the hand-built by Porsche W124.036. And even those aren't big money cars...yet. So , ultimately, SA ownership is more about personal satisfaction. Or bragging rights, depending on your personality.

Last edited by yvrbenz; 06-06-2019 at 04:32 PM.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:31 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrbenz View Post
Especially if you have to replace the softop hydraulics (~$8K IIRC), never mind anything else that needs to be done to keep a 20-ish year old car up to snuff.
I agree with most of what you wrote - except that if you are going to pay someone else $8k to reseal your top cylinders, this isn't a car for you. I DIYed all 11 for $600 and two weekends of wrenching torture.

I will eventually move on to an R230 for the reasons you cited - and the 493hp in an SL55 or SL600 are also motivators - but (and this is obviously subjective) I just don't think they are as stylish and stately looking as the R129. To me, the SA is classically handsome, while the R230 styling is either a little too boy-racer (the AMGs) or jellybean-shaped and plain (the base models).

All in all - there are countless other ways the make money - buying pre-owned cars hoping they appreciate is probably not the best strategy. Buy it and get out and drive. For a good while R129s are going to be more enjoyable dirty and driven than clean and preserved for the next owner.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:38 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2018
Vehicle: 2000 SL R129 Final Edition brillant black
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrbenz View Post
On the other hand, you can get low mileage R230s for not too much money (mid-$20ks) and you get a newer, more advanced car than the R129. More advanced meaning, just as an example, that you have the folding hardtop so you don't have to store the hard top or deal with a deteriorating soft top, and you have that much longer before you have to face the possibility of having to overhaul ITS hydrulic system.
This is really hard to compare, you either like the folding hard top or not. Whilst the soft top is noisy and a pain when it has just rained and you don't dare to open it to prevent it from rotting in the box my main reason to not go with the folding hard top is the loss of trunk space - here the R129 is outstanding. The 230s also don't offer the rear seat option. I guess I forgot the other million reasons why the R129 is better but this is more like a question of taste I guess.

Talking about the editions like the Silver Arrow, I guess again it is both a question of taste and expectation of the future value. Many of the editions really came with a lot of extras like the special leather interior, nice rims, the SA600 always had the pano roof etc and these things had a price back then and still today, this might even be growing given the prices of parts these days. Also some like the special combination of materials or colors that the editions came with and are willing to pay an extra Dollar for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in