post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
MB Star c3 -But Might Be Laptop - Issue

took delivery of one of these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Best...58c44c4daXdrGY

installed on a refurbed Dell e6430 I use as a knockaround (work stuff and once had the Volvo factory software and multiplexer on there). So I put in the HDD and fire it up, I get SDS to load up, everything looks to be in order - but not knowing what to do next, I shut down until I educate myself a little more. Few days later I go to do some learning and when I start the computer all I get is 'no boot device found'. No matter what instructions I follow, youtube videos I watch, what tricks I try, same error message. I ran all the diagnostics and get no errors. I did try to put the original HDD back in a still had no boot device found. I will (but would prefer not to) bring it to my local PC Dr as I have no issues with the car presently and just getting SDS ready just in case.

Any experience/suggestions from computer/laptop/software/OS gurus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:12 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: 2004 E320, 2000 SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
How did you install this? Was SDS on HDD with pre-installed OS, drivers etc. specific for your laptop… plug-n-play by swapping HDD? If so did you make a back-up copy?

"No Boot Device Found" usually means HD is shut or… something got whacked in BIOS settings. I would start with making sure CMOS battery is fresh… usually meaning Replace It. Then check Boot Options in BIOS settings.

If my memory serves me well, to enter BIOS on Dell computer you hit F2 on start-up. If you are not sure what to do there… you can always hit ESC key. Resetting BIOS to defaults should do no harm either.

Andrew
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:06 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: R129 500 SL 1991
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Garage
In all likelihood?... your SDS HDD is probably WinXp and has ATA drivers. But your Dell e6430 is probably set to AHCI in Bios.

Check your ATAPI setting in Bios.

If your HDD is ATA and your Bios is set to AHCI you would get similar message.

If HDD is SSD, you probably would need to set Bios to AHCI, but depends on OP system on HDD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
thanks - Op system on HDD - which I swapped into laptop - was XP. My friend recovered the data and put a new HDD in and says it is ready (haven't picked it up yet). I think I am going to leave that drive alone and then boot as an external source when I want to use SDS. Is that doable, and will that mean if I am having problems with the SDS HDD, all I need to do is unplug it and change the boot settings to have it be my regular knockaround travel laptop again?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:49 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: R129 500 SL 1991
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Garage
If by 'recovered' you mean your friend copied or cloned the HDD on to a new drive, it may not work due to the Chinese copy protection. Assuming your C3 software has that origin, courtesy of Alibaba.

When stuff sucks... make it right!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
sorry - meant he recovered the data from my original hard drive - which probably didn't have much on it as it is just my work travel and garage laptop. I had Volvo factory software running on VM for a while, but sold that heap.

So I'm saying I want to keep the original hard drive in there - and on the rare occasion in need to use for my car (which has been once in 4 years), boot the machine from the SDS-loaded HDD running externally. Would I have to change the bios options the same way I would if it were internal - or would it just be to indicate that the bootable device is USB?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:45 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: 2004 E320, 2000 SL500
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceta4zng View Post
sorry - meant he recovered the data from my original hard drive - which probably didn't have much on it as it is just my work travel and garage laptop. I had Volvo factory software running on VM for a while, but sold that heap.

So I'm saying I want to keep the original hard drive in there - and on the rare occasion in need to use for my car (which has been once in 4 years), boot the machine from the SDS-loaded HDD running externally. Would I have to change the bios options the same way I would if it were internal - or would it just be to indicate that the bootable device is USB?
It's been a while since I've done dual boot on XP but, I think you just hit F8 repeatedly at start-up until you see XP Advanced Boot Options. Choose which version to load from there. That said loading and running OS plus VM from USB HD will probably be painfully slow.

Another way to do this would be to install VM Player on your internal HD and run SDS from USB HD. I have this kind of setup and it works OK. It takes about 5 minutes to load VM / SDS but once it's loaded I can't complain.

Andrew
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
thanks I plugged the SDS hard drive into an external hard drive enclosure and USB'd into the laptop. Looked like there are several drives (D: Star, E: WIS, F: EPC, etc) so trying to figure out if (or how) this will work with VM
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:27 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2015
Vehicle: 2005 CLK320
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Why don't you just swap the drive as needed then you don't have to deal with vm or slow USB boot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
because when I tried it the first time - it ran correctly once and then caused the 'no boot device' error and I couldn't get the laptop to boot with either drive. So I'm scared. There. I said it.

The hard drive that is in the laptop now is windows 10 - set to RAID, UEFI and works fine. The SDS HDD is Xp and shows serial ATA on it. But I don't know what the correct BIOS and boot settings are supposed to be.

Last edited by ceta4zng; 06-05-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in