LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2019
Vehicle: 1995 and 1996 SL320 One Keeper One For Sale
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Clock Time to R&R ALL Top cylinders R129 ???

I am sure I am going to have to go through all the cylinders for the soft top/roll bar for this 1996 SL320. Right now I am weighing my options as far as what I want to do once I get them out. I've read through a number of old threads but didn't see anyone put any number on the actual clock hours (not book hours) spent doing the R&R for all of them. So anyone who has gone through this, would you mind letting me know how many hours you spent doing it ???

PS. Does anyone happen to know what the material the factory seals are made from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:25 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
As a complete novice, figure a few days.

Some are easy, while some require disassembly of the car to reach (see the procedures and locations at TH).

From experience, I'd swap them with Karl at TH rather than rebuild them myself which would make the repair EVEN longer.
FATHERTIME and ChipThome like this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:04 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
I did all mine in one shot. Took basically a full weekend to get them out. I would say I worked (at a deliberate pace - taking a rest, eating lunch, maybe a errand for the wife) from about 9 or 10 am until about 6 or 7 pm on both days of the weekend to get them out. And perhaps a few hours less to get them back in - being that the interior was already apart.

If I were to do it again, I would have done the core swap at Top Hydraulics rather than the 'remove, ship out, get them back, reinstall' method. Having refurbed cylinders ready to install would have been 'remove, replace' with no down time - and on to the next one. Little things like having the correct tools handy right then and the process fresh in mind, rather than coming back to it a week later would significantly cut the time to do the job - maybe even done in one long day.
DALE.M and ChipThome like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:40 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
It's not something you want to rush because it deals with the interior (cause no damage, do no harm).
Photodude and FATHERTIME like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2000 SL320, 2001 CLK320
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Exchange units with Top Hydraulics is the way to go, then you wont forget how to put the cylinders back in.

Easy but slow job and READ Top Hydraulics detailed instructions. I changed my cylinders and the front and rear parts of the soft top and it took me 3 slow days.

Take lots of pics as well.
FATHERTIME and ChipThome like this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
TH has a NASTY $300 "surcharge for inventory management", if you want to get them first and send cores in later. This is on top of their $600 REFUNDABLE core charge. A 40% charge for someone to "manage their inventory" is completely unacceptable and something I would NEVER pay !!! Shame because the idea of get now and send cores in later had me stop considering other options, which are now back on the table for me.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:15 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2015
Vehicle: 94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
TH has a NASTY $300 "surcharge for inventory management", if you want to get them first and send cores in later. This is on top of their $600 REFUNDABLE core charge. A 40% charge for someone to "manage their inventory" is completely unacceptable and something I would NEVER pay !!! Shame because the idea of get now and send cores in later had me stop considering other options, which are now back on the table for me.
I have 3 R192's. I did all at once on my 94 SL320 PITA. So now I remove the ones that leak on my 98 SL500 and 99 SL600 and send them in the brackets to TH. So far in 4 years only have had to do 5 on the SL500 and 2 on the SL600, been real lucky on the main and bow cyls those two are nasty. I would not try to rebuild them myself cause most of the seal kits you can buy are crap and you take a chance on damaging the shafts, but thats just me.
ChipThome likes this.

John;
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATHERTIME View Post
So far in 4 years only have had to do 5 on the SL500 and 2 on the SL600, been real lucky on the main and bow cyls those two are nasty.
Do you think you were replacing original seals, or could they have been done at least once before ???
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:59 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2015
Vehicle: 94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Do you think you were replacing original seals, or could they have been done at least once before ???
I'm sure they were factory they are known to fail. TH has special ones made and gives you a forever warranty.
rorypff and ChipThome like this.

John;
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
refundable core charge is pretty standard on anything that the cores will be reused on. Only makes sense, return cores that aren't useable, someone has to pay. I have no issue with paying a refundable core charge up front.

TH is a very very quality operation, they are the ONLY ones I would even consider for top cylinder rework.

Now for the inventory management fee. personally when I rebuild my cylinders. (each winter I say this is the year) I will do the core exchange. One, I suspect it will save me time, next, by replacing a pair at at time, I will know if each pair was installed correctly and can make sure the the top is operating properly before going to the next pair. For me that is worth $300. For some others it may not be worth it, but at least it is an option.
rorypff likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in