post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1991 R129 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cool Re: Legends of the Autobahn Aug2019

I got a newsletter from MB Classic Center, and I found an interesting article, that I wanted to share with you fellow R129 forum members. Hopefully, some would find it also interesting to go and watch the event. If there are any interested, I'd like to fly in and join the fun

03. CLASSIC EVENTS

Legends of the Autobahn

Legends of the Autobahn, the all‑German Concours, returns to Monterey Car Week on August 24th. For 2019, the Mercedes‑Benz Club of America celebrates 30 years of the R129 SL model series with a special display. The Mercedes‑Benz R129 marked the fourth generation of the SL and was revealed in March 1989 at the Geneva Auto show. The successor to the iconic R107 SL, the new SL was a milestone of technology and is today a popular young classic from coast to coast.

The Legends of the Autobahn event features a judged Concours, Silver Star Preservation class, and display‑only Corral. For event information and to register your classic Mercedes‑Benz, please visit the link below.

Legends Of The Autobahn® Presented by Michelin

Legends Of The Autobahn® is an all-German marque Concours d’Elegance held at the prestigious The Club at Pasadera during Monterey, California’s famed Pebble Beach Concours week.

Legends is hosted by the BMW Car Club of America, the Mercedes-Benz Club of America, and the Audi Club of North America. The annual concours event offers both corral and judged areas, awards for all three featured marques, and an open class for all other German-made cars. The show field also features displays from manufacturers, sponsors, and vendors, along with several lunch options, and an available breakfast.

Each year, the concours draws over 400 registered cars and over 3,000 spectators that fill the fairways of the The Club at Pasadera. Spectators are regularly greeted by rare and historically significant models, as well as factory-prepared specials.

The Legends Of The Autobahn® concours has become a national sensation among German car enthusiasts with widespread coverage in the automotive media. In 2011 the event gained international recognition with the North American debut of the BMW 328 Hommage concept car. In 2012 we saw the debut of BMW’s Zagato Z4 Roadster concept, and in 2014 we saw the unveiling of the highly-anticipated M4 GTS concept car.

Spectator admission is FREE. Parking fee is $20 per vehicle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1996 SL500, 2000 E430
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
That was started by someone in the Mercedes Club of America - San Francisco Section - about 15 years ago, and it has become a huge event now.

I used to go to Monterey weekend every year - driving from Sacramento - about a 400 mile r/t. I'm getting too old for that and the hotels in the area - well, supply and demand. $800/$1000 for a 3 day stay (mandatory 3 day stay).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Smile

Hi wlb50,

Thank you for the inputs

I was hoping some of the forum members would want to go to the event, being R129 themed. Maybe stay in a hotel that's about an hour drive to the event location (hopefully with cheaper hotel rates), enjoy and maybe even have some "bonding moments" with food and drinks after.

I heard that the actual event on the 24th is really hard to enjoy due to traffic, but then since the "Legends" is on the 19th, maybe things will be bearable.

Best regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 2002 SL600 Silver Arrow, 1966 300SE Cabriolet, 2009 Smart Cabriolet
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
You might want to check your date for Legends. Monterey car week this year starts around 11 Aug.'19 and ends 18 Aug.'19. I'm entered in various other events during the week so I won't be able to put my SL600 Silver Arrow in Legends.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1996 SL500, 2000 E430
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
It is quite a week Chicky - maybe Salinas might be OK (45 minutes or so from the events) more likely Gilroy or even San Jose - 60-90 minutes). The parking lots are a hoot - everyone drives their "Sunday Best" but I will post a few pictrures of the Historic races over the years...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5095.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	2515046   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5140.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	2515048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5194.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	2515050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5209.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	2515052  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silberpfeil View Post
You might want to check your date for Legends. Monterey car week this year starts around 11 Aug.'19 and ends 18 Aug.'19. I'm entered in various other events during the week so I won't be able to put my SL600 Silver Arrow in Legends.
...oops, sorry about the wrong dates of the events.

sorry to learn that you and the car won't be at Legends, one less SA SL600
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlb50 View Post
It is quite a week Chicky - maybe Salinas might be OK (45 minutes or so from the events) more likely Gilroy or even San Jose - 60-90 minutes). The parking lots are a hoot - everyone drives their "Sunday Best" but I will post a few pictrures of the Historic races over the years...
Yes, please do post the pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in