post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2019
Vehicle: 95 SL600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
brake upgrade part numbers and availability

So ive been looking into the brake upgrade, and I found these on the website.

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...333_35763_2362

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...335_35763_5913

and the rotors

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...34716_150280_0

will these work? it says compatible for 99-01 SL600s, doesnt say its compatible for the pre 99s.

Im not worried about cutting the dust shield and all that, just wanna know if these are the largest ones or what else I can do to make my 95 brakes a little bigger and better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:14 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Yup, those are them.

See on the backside where Brembo is cast into the side of the caliper.

Definitely worth the price + core. You will also need to get the newer car brake fluid flex line as the old one isn't compatible (seals differently). You don't have to do anything about the dust shield, it's just not as large in diameter (but big enough) as the one specifically for that brake system. I didn't change mine and there's been no issue. Get stainless steel flex lines and new caliper bolts (from the dealership).

Your 16 inch spare WILL NOT FIT on the front with the big brakes, you'll have to get a 17 inch spare from a 99+ R129 or equivalent.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:48 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1995 SL320, 1995 SL500 ("Red Devil " project), 1998 C280, 2004 E500 4matic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Garage
Just so you know, most likely N/A... I saw these listed as rebuild units on their website few years back, tried to order, lets you put them in the cart, but when you go to pay for the, says "not available"

Great prices otherwise, good luck!

Regards,
D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:56 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is there any way to get calipers for these cars?I'm not thrilled with the prospect of having 20 year old calipers on my car when I drive cross country knowing if I have an issue I can't replace them.

Unless of course this isn't something to be concerned about. That works too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duh_vinci View Post
Just so you know, most likely N/A... I saw these listed as rebuild units on their website few years back, tried to order, lets you put them in the cart, but when you go to pay for the, says "not available"

Great prices otherwise, good luck!

Regards,
D

Last edited by Shadyduk1979; 05-02-2019 at 04:24 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:28 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1995 SL320, 1995 SL500 ("Red Devil " project), 1998 C280, 2004 E500 4matic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Garage
Well, for what it's worth, imo, on a properly maintained car, that is rust free and driven frequently, where visually no corrosion on the calipers, I would not hesitate driving it anywhere. Brake lines would give out before the calipers in most cases.

Now, to the calipers, since the rebuilt calipers are usually out of stock in most auto parts places (Brembo or large ATE SL600 for 320mm rotors), there are rebuild kits available for both. Brembo kits about $40 per caliper, ATE are about $70 from what I remember. Many many many years ago I worked for ATE Teves Automotive (now Teves Continental), and have become very familiar with the calipers. That factory provided calipers for Mazda, BMW and Ford of Europe.

Assuming there is no physical damage, once the core caliper disassembled and fully cleaned up, its just the matter of few seals and bushings to be reinstalled carefully. Refinish in the color of choice (preferably powder coated prior to assembly) and good as new.

Regards,
D
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:06 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

I'm considering having them rebuilt if I can find someone locally.

The cross country drive I am doing in this car is a rather famous one that ends at the portofino inn. I believe there was a spoof movie made about it starring the late Burt Reynolds in the 80s. That's why I worry about braking power, and am replacing so much on the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duh_vinci View Post
Well, for what it's worth, imo, on a properly maintained car, that is rust free and driven frequently, where visually no corrosion on the calipers, I would not hesitate driving it anywhere. Brake lines would give out before the calipers in most cases.

Now, to the calipers, since the rebuilt calipers are usually out of stock in most auto parts places (Brembo or large ATE SL600 for 320mm rotors), there are rebuild kits available for both. Brembo kits about $40 per caliper, ATE are about $70 from what I remember. Many many many years ago I worked for ATE Teves Automotive (now Teves Continental), and have become very familiar with the calipers. That factory provided calipers for Mazda, BMW and Ford of Europe.

Assuming there is no physical damage, once the core caliper disassembled and fully cleaned up, its just the matter of few seals and bushings to be reinstalled carefully. Refinish in the color of choice (preferably powder coated prior to assembly) and good as new.

Regards,
D
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:37 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Vehicle: 1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
Go to the dealership and have your brake fluid changed (good idea for every other year on brake systems with dissimilar metals) and tell them you are planning a trip. It's not a very expensive service.

If there is anything wrong, they will let you know.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2000 SL320, 2001 CLK320
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years; being hygroscopic it is the water that corrodes the internals.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:16 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Yes, and with dissimilar metals in the system (iron, aluminum), galvanic action (through the absorbed moisture) takes it's toll.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:20 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post
Yes, and with dissimilar metals in the system (iron, aluminum), galvanic action (through the absorbed moisture) takes it's toll.
So in other words, if I crack the lines and the fluid is cleanish, I should be ok? I have pads, rotors and stainless lines already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in