SL500 - resonator deleted, Carlsson box installed - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:54 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
A drop in low end torque you say?

The V12 M120 probably has a little to spare on the bottom end, I'm not worried.

I'll find out in a few weeks whether or not the resonator eliminator change has veered into self abuse with a trip to the track.

If RENNtech and MB (MY 99+ cars) saw the wisdom in removing the resonator for increases in performance, then I'm willing to roll the dice myself.

The "noise" is kind of hard to pin down as there is no difference (even with the top down) during steady state driving. In my case, the only difference in exhaust note is when the engine starts and during acceleration. It's subtle, but noticeable only due to the almost completely silent stock exhaust. I don't think anyone other than an R129 owner would notice. It's not overt in any way and the slight increase in sound during acceleration speaks volumes to the mechanical sophistication that is a DOHC 4 valve engine, quite nice.

Don't be so quick to judge unheard, besides, if you ever did hear one of these exhaust systems; you might become a convert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '98 SL500
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Awesome thread, looking forward to joining this club!
duh_vinci likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:45 AM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post
A drop in low end torque you say?

The V12 M120 probably has a little to spare on the bottom end, I'm not worried.

Don't be so quick to judge...
You will note upon re-read that I made no comment on the M120, and was pointing out that using a later V8 car without a resonator from factory as a reason to eliminate may be flawed logic.

Also, you will note I did not judge... Just suggested a little thought may be prudent before making a change for noise-sake.

PS... I do like the sound of a well-tuned muscle car exhaust!

Best Regards...

RM Smith
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1995 SL320, 1995 SL500 ("Red Devil " project), 1998 C280, 2004 E500 4matic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Lets agree, that when a manufacturer "creates" an automobile for a general public, there are compromises to be dealt with. Even, even if there were some type of improvements in terms of power/torque gain with less restrictive exhaust, per say "no resonator", however, the noise level measured was deemed too loud to meet the "standards" (whatever those standards may be), and MB chose this resonator to been installed permanently to keep those "horrible horrible" noises down.

From an old post of 500E guys "...When contacting Gillet regarding their manufacture of the AMG E500E muffler, I enquired about deleting the center muffler section. I was told they made a few "test pieces" but it was rejected because of unacceptable noise..." Could it have improvement on performance? Possibly, but again, a compromise was reached...

I wanted to hear this m119 under acceleration, and that is now accomplished... If I gained anything overall in terms of power, great, if not, the response from the motor with this new setup is noticeably different, noticeably lighter throttle feel up to 3K rpms (the curve feels different).

I will do a full transmission Redline High Temp fluid change when I get this car back from the paint shop, and will drive the devil out of it, from what I remember, factory 1994/1995 SL500 0-60 was 6.2?

This is a soft pull on the day of the exhaust modification (no tire spin, no ASR off, no brake holding, no red line),

I've tried timing few times by watching this small clip, and I get 5.85-5.9 sec with the phone stop watch... so I will make few runs with new fluids to see if there is any difference in those times (with holding the brake, with ASR off and up to red line) and another run once I swap the LH module for the WOT enriched unit. For now, love the sound of my new exhaust.

Regards,
D
slownrusty likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:36 PM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by duh_vinci View Post
Lets agree, that when a manufacturer "creates" an automobile for a general public, there are compromises to be dealt with. Even, even if there were some type of improvements in terms of power/torque gain with less restrictive exhaust, per say "no resonator", however, the noise level measured was deemed too loud to meet the "standards" (whatever those standards may be), and MB chose this resonator to been installed permanently to keep those "horrible horrible" noises down.

From an old post of 500E guys "...When contacting Gillet regarding their manufacture of the AMG E500E muffler, I enquired about deleting the center muffler section. I was told they made a few "test pieces" but it was rejected because of unacceptable noise..." Could it have improvement on performance? Possibly, but again, a compromise was reached...

I wanted to hear this m119 under acceleration, and that is now accomplished... If I gained anything overall in terms of power, great, if not, the response from the motor with this new setup is noticeably different, noticeably lighter throttle feel up to 3K rpms (the curve feels different).

I will do a full transmission Redline High Temp fluid change when I get this car back from the paint shop, and will drive the devil out of it, from what I remember, factory 1994/1995 SL500 0-60 was 6.2?

This is a soft pull on the day of the exhaust modification (no tire spin, no ASR off, no brake holding, no red line), https://youtu.be/cS4I8tMIXyU

I've tried timing few times by watching this small clip, and I get 5.85-5.9 sec with the phone stop watch... so I will make few runs with new fluids to see if there is any difference in those times (with holding the brake, with ASR off and up to red line) and another run once I swap the LH module for the WOT enriched unit. For now, love the sound of my new exhaust.

Regards,
D
Cool Beans!

Best Regards...

RM Smith

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:50 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2018
Vehicle: 1994 R129 SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
what is the LH module and the WOT enriched unit ? I'm an SL500 newbie and learning as I go but very interested in slightly increasing the growl of the M119 without incurring long distance driving drone or performance so thanks for a very interesting thread.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1995 SL320, 1995 SL500 ("Red Devil " project), 1998 C280, 2004 E500 4matic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjonesy View Post
what is the LH module and the WOT enriched unit ? I'm an SL500 newbie and learning as I go but very interested in slightly increasing the growl of the M119 without incurring long distance driving drone or performance so thanks for a very interesting thread.
Cheers!

This LH module is located under the hood, in the aluminum computer box (same area where you will find 38 pin diagnostic port, same place where the E-Gas module, and such, once the cover is opened, you will see all of them stacked in the row, basically the computer brain for these non-CIS pre-face lift cars)

Some curious minds figured out that that some early models of W140 fitted with M119 5.0L engines were equipped with LH modules that were a little different from the others, they had a Wide Open Throttle enrichment, basically "richens the mixture" at WOT... And when dyno tested, depending on the condition of M119 engine, once fitted into compatible non-W140 car, would provide additional horse power, certainly not a huge amount, but up to 10HP in some cases. Very popular mode with w124 E500E owners. Personally, I will take any known and proven upgrade/update for m119 I can get my hands on. And these are affordable.

Regards,
D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in