Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   R129 SL-Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/)
-   -   Thank you and goodbye (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/3021844-thank-you-goodbye.html)

RJ's SL 03-29-2019 01:56 PM

Thank you and goodbye

I have been on the fence about moving on to something else.
Last week, one of my closest friends (who has a lift in his garage and I can always count on to use it) was away on business with someone he works with (I sort of know him). He was telling my buddy how he decided to pull the trigger on a classic convertible and all his research led him to an R129. Well, one thing led to another...
I got my car out of storage this morning and he came and looked at it and I have a deposit in hand.
I guess my buddy talked up my car pretty good.
Thank you to all of you on this forum who gave me such great advice over the last 4 years. It was invaluable and helped me to get my car to the shape it's in.
Next up- a 911. Always wanted one.
Thanks again and good luck to all of you.
RJ

robm.UK 03-30-2019 02:25 AM

Trading up eh? Well, I guess it’s sad to lose such a veteran member, but then again good to know you’re moving on to sunnier climbs. :thumbsup:

... the 911 will probably be no less of a challenge to maintain? :wink

All the best
Rob

duh_vinci 03-30-2019 03:59 AM

All the best to you RJ, good looking red R129!

Regards,
D

Ears 03-30-2019 06:08 AM

No need to say Good Bye... I bet most, if not all of us like 911's... :)

RJ's SL 03-30-2019 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm.UK (Post 17741838)
Trading up eh? Well, I guess it’s sad to lose such a veteran member, but then again good to know you’re moving on to sunnier climbs. :thumbsup:

... the 911 will probably be no less of a challenge to maintain? :wink

All the best
Rob

I appreciate it.
I have a friend who is a car collector and he has a Porsche guy. He will contact him for me and give him my shopping list. I don't think I'm going to take on another project car. I'm going to be patient and have him find me a well maintained, ready to drive 911. If it takes two weeks or 3 months,so be it. I'm willing to wait for the right one.

lowesguy 03-30-2019 10:59 AM

My 911 sucked a valve at 34k, side of engine blew up, I was doing 25mph, never again.

RJ's SL 03-30-2019 01:02 PM

:eek
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowesguy (Post 17742052)
My 911 sucked a valve at 34k, side of engine blew up, I was doing 25mph, never again.

AroundTheBenz 03-30-2019 09:38 PM

RJ, I've enjoyed your posts, sorry to see you go. A 911 was on my short list a few years ago, but the R129 won out.
May you find a 911 forum as good as BenzWorld!
Peter.

robm.UK 03-31-2019 03:08 AM

S and S2 Porkers can eat valves. Usually exhaust on high milers >100k or low milers if they’ve been ran at high rpm. Outer valve spring fails, then head of valve fails due to fatigue. Gets sucked in. Wham! You cannot ‘see’ onset of fatigue, but once spring broken you will hear tapping. Lift rockers, spin springs. Way to tell.
So even low miler S or S2 is a risk. Horror stories of snapped cam belts too.
911 is thoroughbred and more fragile than R129 (generalisation).

RJ's SL 03-31-2019 06:44 AM

Peter -thank you.

robm- I will be relying on my friends Porsche guy to steer me to the right car. This guy is a very well
regarded indy mechanic and trader of Porsche's for many, many years. I will however bring your comments up
to him. Any advice from those that have experience where I do not is greatly appreciated.