Thank you and goodbye - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: 1998 SL 500 - Sport & Pano : 2014 E350 4Matic - Luxury : 2015 GLK 350 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hard to tell...but i guess you are looking for a 911 (996) cabriolet from 2002 - 2004.

Painted rear bumperettes are from 2002 on (prior were black) - I would look at a car with the IMS retrofit solution.
You can verify on the LN Engineering website if the IMS is authentic via serial number. I also would look for the RMS to have been done at the same time.

Join rennlist.com - lots of info on 996 forum site.

good luck hunting.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:24 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 2009 SLK
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have owned a Mars Red R171 for over 10 years and a Guards Red 911 for over 30. Both are convertible toys, not daily drivers, 13,000 on the R171, 70,000 on the 911. I suggest an air cooled 911. More issues with the newer water cooled models, valves, IMS bearing, timing belts, etc. Also, the water cooled engines require regular care and feeding. The air cooled models are really oil cooled, 13 quarts in the system. Oil and filter every 5000 is more than adequate. With that guidance, my experience shows the 911 is by far the lower maintenance cost car. You will also find that the air cooled cars appreciate in value whereas the water cooled ones depreciate. Mine is now worth about 50% MORE than I paid when I bought it new. No Ferrari, but I am not complaining. When you own one of those, you are best friends with your mechanic!

I hope you find a nice 911 and it treats you well.
YMMV
RJ's SL likes this.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:09 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 2000 R129 SL500 Designo
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ha Ha, where were you 8 months ago.
My wife wouldn't ride in our 81SC anymore due to lack of airbags, so I got a 2000 SL.
Totally different cars as you know, but when you get a 911 dialed in the experience is amazing. The 911 is a car which BEGS you to push it a bit; it accepts precision like no other car I've driven. But the SL feels much more solid and refined and comfortable for long trips. The SC required us to pack very carefully in order to do even a weekend trip.
It's apple and oranges and it's all FUN!
wlb50 and RJ's SL like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: '96 SL500
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer1926 View Post
Hard to tell...but i guess you are looking for a 911 (996) cabriolet from 2002 - 2004.

Painted rear bumperettes are from 2002 on (prior were black) - I would look at a car with the IMS retrofit solution.
You can verify on the LN Engineering website if the IMS is authentic via serial number. I also would look for the RMS to have been done at the same time.

Join rennlist.com - lots of info on 996 forum site.

good luck hunting.

David
Yes, a 996. It's within a reasonable price range for me without bleeding. I think they're undervalued all because the headlights aren't roundf.Yup, got to have the IMS and RMS fixed. Maybe a 997 if I want to stretch it a bit.
BUT- ChiefPlumber makes an excellent point with the air cooled 911. If I'm not looking for a daily driver, it may be the better choice.
You haven't gotten rid of me yet. All those who have owned 911's of any flavor,please, keep chiming in.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:25 AM
Undercover Moderator

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's SL View Post
Yes, a 996. It's within a reasonable price range for me without bleeding. I think they're undervalued all because the headlights aren't roundf.Yup, got to have the IMS and RMS fixed. Maybe a 997 if I want to stretch it a bit.
BUT- ChiefPlumber makes an excellent point with the air cooled 911. If I'm not looking for a daily driver, it may be the better choice.
You haven't gotten rid of me yet. All those who have owned 911's of any flavor,please, keep chiming in.
No offense but 996 is junk......

You be back here in no time with another R129......

997 is a different story.....

Stop here once in a while...... Love to hear your story of your new car.....

Keep in touch my friend.....

Horsepower: enough power to go from point A to point B
Torque: enough to get the car moving

0-60 mph: not in a rush
0-1/4 mile: about 5 minutes @ 2mph because no need to showoff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

My favorite topic,

Last edited by SL BRABUS; 04-05-2019 at 10:27 AM.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: '96 SL500
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
No offense but 996 is junk......

You be back here in no time with another R129......

997 is a different story.....

Stop here once in a while...... Love to hear your story of your new car.....

Keep in touch my friend.....

If I have to spend a little more than I was thinking, like a 997 or an air cooled, to get a more reliable car, then I will.

My thinking is to drive the 911 while still in upstate NY where the roads are twisty. Once I retire (5 years?) I'm moving someplace that surely will have straight flat roads. So, then maybe an E class coupe?

I'll stop in from time to time, let you know how it goes - thank you SL BRABUS
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:39 AM
Undercover Moderator

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's SL View Post
If I have to spend a little more than I was thinking, like a 997 or an air cooled, to get a more reliable car, then I will.

My thinking is to drive the 911 while still in upstate NY where the roads are twisty. Once I retire (5 years?) I'm moving someplace that surely will have straight flat roads. So, then maybe an E class coupe?

I'll stop in from time to time, let you know how it goes - thank you SL BRABUS
If you thinking about air cooled.......

I would pick 964 or 993 over the 997 any days.....

Air cooled is such a classic with strong resale value.....

If you love to work on car the 964 or 993 is the car for you.....

If you have a mechanic fix on any 911 it will cost you an arm & leg.... Plus parts is very pricey on any 911 compare to any SL....

Horsepower: enough power to go from point A to point B
Torque: enough to get the car moving

0-60 mph: not in a rush
0-1/4 mile: about 5 minutes @ 2mph because no need to showoff

&

My favorite topic,
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:46 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 87' 190E 16V / 93' 600SL
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
993's are great and not a water cooled Audi remake. Gotta love that IMS bearing..
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:42 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: '07 S600, '00 E320 Wagon, other
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've owned several air cooled 911. Long hood early 70s, SC, 3.2 Carrera, 993 and one water cooled (996).

If you need comfort, efficient A/C etc (or are often driving with a significant other who is not into cars) get a water cooled at whatever price point you like.

If you don't mind some noise, harshness, driving with windows down and you enjoy/focus on driving, get an air cooled. If money is a concern, get 1978-83 SC. Very solid, reliable, fun to drive and the least expensive of the air cooled - best value for money.

Air cooled can also be used as a daily driver - I've almost bought one with 500,000 miles on it and running strong - try that with a Ferrari :-)
RJ's SL likes this.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:45 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: '07 S600, '00 E320 Wagon, other
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Of course as you look at my membership info you can conclude that I've kept a 993 plus with age moved into more comfort like V12 S Class :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in