Stereo Dillema - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:28 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
ceta4zng's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
Location: NJ
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
Also, I read that Pioneer is launching this bad boy in February. https://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/09...hone-receiver/. It looks to be similar to the MVH that ceta mentioned, but has an integrated phone mount. I may just wait for that.
I saw that one at CES - what I didn't like was the lack of function buttons on the face of the unit. So seemed to me you HAD to do everything through the app. In my case, I have an 8.1 mile commute and often times my phone just stays in my pocket and I just listen to AM news and weather or FM music and want to scroll through my presets when commercials. That is just easier to do with the preset buttons on the face of the unit. The SPH-10 doesn't give you the option - you have to hunt and peck on your smart sync phone app - but it does have features such as backup sensors and whatnot.

Also that retractable mount makes the unit at least as big as the one with the CD drive - much less room for the wire harness behind. And it sits very low. So if using it for navigation, you are constantly taking your eyes off the road to read it. And I am not 100% certain but couldn't tell if there were the same 200,000 color options. Matching an aftermarket unit to the stock interior colors is something I would rather have the ability to do given the choice - especially since (for my needs) the MVH seemed to work better than the SPH

Last edited by ceta4zng; 01-29-2019 at 07:42 AM.
ceta4zng is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
bartsitarski's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 1998 SL500 Sport
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceta4zng View Post
I saw that one at CES - what I didn't like was the lack of function buttons on the face of the unit. So seemed to me you HAD to do everything through the app. In my case, I have an 8.1 mile commute and often times my phone just stays in my pocket and I just listen to AM news and weather or FM music and want to scroll through my presets when commercials. That is just easier to do with the preset buttons on the face of the unit. The SPH-10 doesn't give you the option - you have to hunt and peck on your smart sync phone app - but it does have features such as backup sensors and whatnot.

Also that retractable mount makes the unit at least as big as the one with the CD drive - much less room for the wire harness behind. And it sits very low. So if using it for navigation, you are constantly taking your eyes off the road to read it.
Fair enough. I saw the pictures of the aluminum arm that you fabbed up. Do you have a picture of how it attached inside the glove box? I would try to attach a wireless charger to it in some shape or form if I were to go that route.
bartsitarski is online now  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:19 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
ceta4zng's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
Location: NJ
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
Do you have a picture of how it attached inside the glove box?
That rear bend (the one without the magnet on it) is the correct size to wedge from the bottom to the top of the glove box pressed against the back wall. I just made the bend and kept trimming until it fit nice and snug. Then the angle down is just so it fits out the bottom with the door closed - so double stops to keep it from sliding forward or back. Not pictured on those photos of my bracket, but I just added a little 'shelf' under the magnet so my phone can't tilt left or right when in landscape mode. I added a larger metal plate in my phone case for a stronger hold to the magnet, but now the shelf keeps the phone totally level no matter how curvy or bumpy the road.

I thought about hooking up a wireless charger but I don't think my phone (Pixel 2) accepts that. I was considering running the charging wire from the lighter socket up behind the radio and HVAC and have it poke out into the glove box and come out along the bracket I made. But I only connect to the charger when I am using navigation. For those rare-ish occasions I am not too concerned about having the charging wire show.
ceta4zng is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:32 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
ceta4zng's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
Location: NJ
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATHERTIME View Post
How is the sound compared to the factory unit ?
My factory unit wasn't in very long because the CD changer wouldn't connect. Since I never had CD or AUX and I don't think I had any cassettes hand at the time, I probably only heard AM/FM on the factory unit.

The Kenwood was terrible relative to this new Pioneer. Not even close. In fact, I once let my friend drive my car top down to make a beer run and he commented that the car was great but the audio system (the Kenwood) was not up to the standards we set as teenagers.

Pioneer is very welcome upgrade. Very noticeable and significant improvement in audio quality via bluetooth.
ceta4zng is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 04:51 PM
Moderately subtle
 
edfreeman's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 11,845
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ears View Post
The Bose amp needs powered inputs, not pre-amp'd inputs.

Don't just skip over what this gentleman said. I'll bet the Kenwood is wired from its pre-amp outputs into the amp instead of its speaker outputs. Same exact connection and symptoms on a friend's BMW over last fall, had to crank it to hear it. Told him to hook up to the speaker outputs, and it worked and sounded just as it should.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
edfreeman is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
bartsitarski's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 1998 SL500 Sport
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
Don't just skip over what this gentleman said. I'll bet the Kenwood is wired from its pre-amp outputs into the amp instead of its speaker outputs. Same exact connection and symptoms on a friend's BMW over last fall, had to crank it to hear it. Told him to hook up to the speaker outputs, and it worked and sounded just as it should.


I checked that and all is how it should be. I think the deck is just tired or not the Kenwood from the 90s.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bartsitarski is online now  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:56 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
ceta4zng's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
Location: NJ
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
Don't just skip over what this gentleman said. I'll bet the Kenwood is wired from its pre-amp outputs into the amp instead of its speaker outputs. Same exact connection and symptoms on a friend's BMW over last fall, had to crank it to hear it. Told him to hook up to the speaker outputs, and it worked and sounded just as it should.
It certainly seemed that something along those lines was amiss. The Kenwood I ordered in 2015 came with this thing https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC...Converter.html

And the Pioneer with this https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701...g-Harness.html

I have not taken the time to become a true audiophile (because it seems like Crutchfield figures it out for me) - but I know the Kenwood = lousy sound and the Pioneer = much good-er
ceta4zng is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:48 PM
Moderately subtle
 
edfreeman's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 11,845
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceta4zng View Post
It certainly seemed that something along those lines was amiss. The Kenwood I ordered in 2015 came with this thing https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC...Converter.html

And the Pioneer with this https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701...g-Harness.html

I have not taken the time to become a true audiophile (because it seems like Crutchfield figures it out for me) - but I know the Kenwood = lousy sound and the Pioneer = much good-er
It is a good "rule of thumb" to expect a separate amp to use the pre-amp outputs of a head unit. However, the BOSE system in my '97 is hooked to the speaker outputs of the Continental head unit I installed, and my friend's BMW sounded crappy hooked to the pre-amp output and outstanding hooked to the speaker outputs. He used those Metra harness adapters, as well, the first one was just like your picture with the RCA connections on one end and the vehicle harness plug on the other. I looked up a different one that hooked to the speaker outputs.

Anyways, if you're happy, so are we.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
edfreeman is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:35 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
ceta4zng's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
Location: NJ
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
It is a good "rule of thumb" to expect a separate amp to use the pre-amp outputs of a head unit. However, the BOSE system in my '97 is hooked to the speaker outputs of the Continental head unit I installed, and my friend's BMW sounded crappy hooked to the pre-amp output and outstanding hooked to the speaker outputs. He used those Metra harness adapters, as well, the first one was just like your picture with the RCA connections on one end and the vehicle harness plug on the other. I looked up a different one that hooked to the speaker outputs.

Anyways, if you're happy, so are we.
Thanks - I try to always be happy. Here is what the back of the Pioneer unit looked like and those RCA connections went in to 5 and 6. Sounds great to my ear (especially compared to the Kenwood) but are you seeing a different way to do this so that the sound would be even better?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pioneer.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	2485712  
ceta4zng is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
bartsitarski's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 1998 SL500 Sport
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I took a shot at what ceta4zng recommended and man oh man, am I impressed. The sound is a TON better. Installation was a breeze (mounted the microphone above my steering wheel)! The Crutchfield provided tools and harness are truly plug and play. I opted to solder myself instead of paying them to do it. This was not my first stereo install nor first wiring project so I feel confident in my abilities. I also got an iOttie phone holder and mounted it right next to the radio. I will post some pics tomorrow or Friday, when its brighter outside. Thanks for the tips! Now I just have to set up all the settings.
bartsitarski is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
99 E320 stereo problem due to rain Please help Mikey66 Audio & Telematics Forum 0 12-14-2009 06:58 PM
Attempted to pull stereo, Key now stuck CeeJai Audio & Telematics Forum 9 11-15-2009 10:55 AM
Stereo key stuck CeeJai W211 E-Class 5 11-10-2009 10:23 AM
Cable Installation - Stereo to Arm Rest advice meakinsl R170 SLK-Class 8 10-28-2009 04:17 AM
VES AUX input Stereo to Mono problem NewsHound W163 M-Class 0 09-28-2009 04:28 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome