Silver Arrow value - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow (Sold May 2019 after 11 1/2 years)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Silver Arrow value

Iím moving next fall and donít think Iíll have room for both our cars and the Silver Arrow. I know this question could have a large range of answers and hope not to start a donnybrook...however...what is the value of a 2002 SL 500 Silver Arrow, with 91,000 miles? I imported to Canada from US in 2007 and since then she spends all winter in an underground garage. If rain is in the forecast, she stays in my garage. I baby her, but she does get driven as you can see by the mileage. Iíve taken her to Florida (from Toronto) 3 or 4 times in the last 5 years and she runs great. I replaced the front hydraulics 15 months ago. The only known issue is the cracking of the wood trim pieces around the center console. Otherwise, great condition mechanically and physically.

The market for these cars is much stronger in the US I suspect, given many (like me) view these as 3-season cars up here, whereas they can be 4-season cars in much of the US. The car is now titled in Ontario and I have no idea what would be involved in importing back into the US.

I might trade with my Audi for something else, or might try to sell privately. Iím curious a) what the group thinks is the value is, b) if anyone knows what is involved in re-importing back to the US and c) is anyone in the group here interested in buying her?

Thanks guys, as always Iím grateful for any and all input.

Sc00p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 11:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Do some research on sold R129's listings on "Bring A Trailer", good barometer for what serious collectors are willing to pay.
wlb50 likes this.

Last edited by lowesguy; 12-29-2018 at 11:36 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 11:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1996 SL500, 2000 E430
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
I would say too that it depends greatly on where you are. Prices aren't that consistent. This sounds like a great DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 03:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Not what you probably want to hear...but a car is only worth what it sells for. Sellers want the most money and buyers want to pay the least. Being a SA is not a big issue for many buyers; it's the R129.
Plenty of low mileage R129's on the market. Another point is...keys.
Maintenance records. Condition.
Market. You might get 10/12K...maybe more...we've all seen lower mileage R129's sell for 6/7/8K...

We are here on earth to do good unto others.
What the others are here for, I have no idea.

Last edited by Benica; 12-30-2018 at 03:40 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys. I think the key here is the car is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it and where it’s located. Canadians probably not the best market, though I shouldn’t discount them completely. I’m just outside of Toronto but someone in the US would have to import back to the US. I’ll take a look at bring a trailer. Thanks.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 11:34 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Also, remember that winter is generally not the best time to sell these cars. To add my 2 cents: its all about the cars condition, any work that has been done/needs doing and also if the owner is cheap. i.e. if the owner replaces parts with lower quality rather than "expected" better quality for these cars. EX: Avoiding Michelin tires (or similar high end ones), using pattern rather than MB/MB approved/OEM/ parts. How does the car drive etc.? There are so many types of buyers/sellers that you either need to be patient for the price you want or just sell at a lower value. If you look at BAT and also say eBay you will see a wide range of prices for these Silver Arrows. So just set a price and see how much interest it evokes. You never know there may be someone near you in CA who wants to jump into this R129 game. Good luck, and HNY.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I think you're right - my timing is probably not the best, certainly for 75% of the country (and definitely not Canada). The car is serviced by the local dealer (including the hydraulics), I have all the keys (including valet). The tires are Continental Extreme Contact DWS. In a nutshell, the car is very well looked after. I guess I just need to find the right buyer.

Has anyone here had experience importing a car into the US? This one should be simple, I would think, as it was in the US from new in 2002 until 2007 so any duty would already be paid, and there wouldn't be any work needed to get titled there. I am familiar with the process of importing to Canada but not the other way around.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and help.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:37 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: Caretaker '11 GLK RWD, '04 C240 4matic- totaled, '92 500SL-sold, 95 320E-sold, 85 300TD-sold
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
I bought my '92 500SL from the MB dealer in Waterloo, ON in December 2004 and knowingly paid about $5k too much for it due to the condition of the car [only 48k km], lack of comparable cars on the market and the fact he was willing to store it at no charge until the weather got better, they can be sold in the winter

Sold it 6 years later when we were living in Waterdown to a buyer from Burlington by placing free ads in AutoTrader and Kijiji- got what I wanted as, again, there weren't too many on the market and mine was in excellent shape. I cancelled and re-posted the ads about once a week, took 3 weeks to sell but I was in no hurry
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sualk54 View Post
I bought my '92 500SL from the MB dealer in Waterloo, ON in December 2004 and knowingly paid about $5k too much for it due to the condition of the car [only 48k km], lack of comparable cars on the market and the fact he was willing to store it at no charge until the weather got better, they can be sold in the winter

Sold it 6 years later when we were living in Waterdown to a buyer from Burlington by placing free ads in AutoTrader and Kijiji- got what I wanted as, again, there weren't too many on the market and mine was in excellent shape. I cancelled and re-posted the ads about once a week, took 3 weeks to sell but I was in no hurry
Thanks - I might have to go that route. My other option is to drive it to Florida for the month of April and try to sell it there. I do believe this is more of a Florida car than a Southern Ontario car...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 01:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
But the downfall....Florida, Southern California, Arizona...many R129's available at given time. And then...customers wanting to buy say...well, why buy yours for X amount when I have 4 others I have seen that have low miles and are just has good of condition as yours for 5K less...
You got to put yourself in the buyers seat and be ready to have answers..

We are here on earth to do good unto others.
What the others are here for, I have no idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in