BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2015
Vehicle: 94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duh_vinci View Post
Yep, that's where Focal tweeters will go - indeed makes a big difference. Sound stage transforms! Already removed the stock phone speakers, temporary old pair of old Boston tweeters in it, powered by the new head unit.

Regards,
D
So you're not running the tweeters off the amp and connecting direct to the head unit? Will you run all the wiring through the raceway on the drivers side sill?

John;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1995 SL320, 1995 SL500 ("Red Devil " project), 1998 C280, 2004 E500 4matic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowesguy View Post
Someone gave me a complete rear shelf assembly, so cannibalized it with bass speaker, ported it ,recovered, put a 3 or 500watt amp in trunk at side, have a bass control knob at console slide compartment, works great, with top down outside noise cuts the sound in half.
A better head unit would be nice, door and dash speakers are original and work fine.
Yes, thats the biggest hurdle to overcome with convertibles for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceta4zng View Post
I'm still recommending the Pioneer MVH-series (I bought the MVH-S512BS) or SPH-10bt over the Kenwood. I had the KDC-mp562bt that sounded terrible in the stock system compared to the Pioneer I replaced it with. Then the smart sync app basically lets you use your phone to control the headunit - including navigation. So for road tripping, mount your phone, press the nav button and your preferred app comes up (waze, maps, etc). And 200,000 color choices for the display and buttons let you match perfectly to the interior.

I'm sure your custom install will sound fine with the Kenwood - but the Pioneer app and the plug-and-play of the Pioneer was worth the $100 spend.
When I purchased this Kenwood KMM-BT322U, the Pioneer MVH-S512BS was not available yet. I don't really need many features, I do like the simple design with symmetrical layout, 6ch preout is a must, DTA is a must, adjustable illumination is a must and BT is a must. Kenwood fell right in. With that said, and now I've had it for over 6 months - NOT a unit I would recommend. Integration with Windows phone or Android phones is very very unstable. It does however, control Spotify and Pandora perfectly well, DTA is perfect. Night illumination is spot on with Orange1 and fairly easy to see during the day.

P1010913 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Now that these Pioneers are out, flat, simple layout, has all the features I needed and more, If I had to do it allover again, I would deviate from Kenwood for sure (would be the first time in many many years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATHERTIME View Post
So you're not running the tweeters off the amp and connecting direct to the head unit? Will you run all the wiring through the raceway on the drivers side sill?
Those Focal tweeters will indeed be running of that 5-channel amp via 2 way supplied x-over, other 2 channels to rear 6x9 and last mono channel to 10" sub. My current tweeters (temporary old Bostons) are running off the head unit only, and small mono amp is powering the Acoustimass bass driver in the factory Bose enclosure, basically same speaker as factory, just 4 ohm instead of factory 2 ohm (if I remember correctly). I just didn't want to stress the little amp

IMG_20180609_182936 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Identical drivers

IMG_20180609_182531 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

And analog bass control for now in this compartment (but will be relocated to the center console ashtray

IMG_20180616_165737 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Regards,
D
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 1995 SL320, 1995 SL500 ("Red Devil " project), 1998 C280, 2004 E500 4matic
Garage
(Thread Starter)
A little progress today, rear speakers are fitted!

Under mounted them

20190323_152433 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Covered the grill inserts with grill cloth

20190323_150616 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

20190323_150550 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

I had to modify some of the mounting points of these custom grills, but well worth it. Low profile, all metal, very sturdy, painted the outer frame mate black

20190323_153731 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Overall, very happy with the look and fit

20190323_155113 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Regards,
D
Ears and FATHERTIME like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 1999 SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Do we know the largest size speaker that will fit in the rear? Like a small two-way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh_vinci View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowesguy View Post
Someone gave me a complete rear shelf assembly, so cannibalized it with bass speaker, ported it ,recovered, put a 3 or 500watt amp in trunk at side, have a bass control knob at console slide compartment, works great, with top down outside noise cuts the sound in half.
A better head unit would be nice, door and dash speakers are original and work fine.
Yes, thats the biggest hurdle to overcome with convertibles for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceta4zng View Post
I'm still recommending the Pioneer MVH-series (I bought the MVH-S512BS) or SPH-10bt over the Kenwood. I had the KDC-mp562bt that sounded terrible in the stock system compared to the Pioneer I replaced it with. Then the smart sync app basically lets you use your phone to control the headunit - including navigation. So for road tripping, mount your phone, press the nav button and your preferred app comes up (waze, maps, etc). And 200,000 color choices for the display and buttons let you match perfectly to the interior.

I'm sure your custom install will sound fine with the Kenwood - but the Pioneer app and the plug-and-play of the Pioneer was worth the $100 spend.
When I purchased this Kenwood KMM-BT322U, the Pioneer MVH-S512BS was not available yet. I don't really need many features, I do like the simple design with symmetrical layout, 6ch preout is a must, DTA is a must, adjustable illumination is a must and BT is a must. Kenwood fell right in. With that said, and now I've had it for over 6 months - NOT a unit I would recommend. Integration with Windows phone or Android phones is very very unstable. It does however, control Spotify and Pandora perfectly well, DTA is perfect. Night illumination is spot on with Orange1 and fairly easy to see during the day.

P1010913 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Now that these Pioneers are out, flat, simple layout, has all the features I needed and more, If I had to do it allover again, I would deviate from Kenwood for sure (would be the first time in many many years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATHERTIME View Post
Those Focal tweeters will indeed be running of that 5-channel amp via 2 way supplied x-over, other 2 channels to rear 6x9 and last mono channel to 10" sub. My current tweeters (temporary old Bostons) are running off the head unit only, and small mono amp is powering the Acoustimass bass driver in the factory Bose enclosure, basically same speaker as factory, just 4 ohm instead of factory 2 ohm (if I remember correctly). I just didn't want to stress the little amp

IMG_20180609_182936 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Identical drivers

IMG_20180609_182531 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

And analog bass control for now in this compartment (but will be relocated to the center console ashtray

IMG_20180616_165737 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Regards,
D
post #15 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1218 View Post
Do we know the largest size speaker that will fit in the rear? Like a small two-way?
By my measurements under 2.8" in overall diameter. On SL320 I used Dayton Audio Reference drivers throughout, rears are RS75-4, these are 2.83" overall diameter and you can see here that it is "max" and that is with trimming frame few millimeters. Mounting depth is very VERY restrictive as well https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r12...l#post15560817

To make these Dayton driver's a true 2-way rear fill, I've added a pair of tweeters at the corners just above the factory drivers and both covered both in matching grill cloth

Regards,
D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in