post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Another M119 noise thread

Hi all, I believe I have read every post and watched every video in an attempt to figure out the noise coming from my 1990 M119.

I have metal oil tubes and have replaced all of the o rings. I pulled the oil pan and found some bits of chain guide and small pieces of RTV that someone used on the valve cover gaskets. Cleaned that out.

I replaced the top most chain guides on both sides. The two part ones.

Also I turned the engine by hand and pressed on each lifter. They seemed firm but I am open to the idea that they may be the problem.

Does anyone know what I should do next? I hate to keep chasing this without knowing because I just want to get out and drive it!

https://youtu.be/2PYcIPUss1o

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 08:56 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2015
Vehicle: 2001 SL500
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
It sure sounds like a lifter to me ... just one. Do you have a Mechanic's Stethoscope? That might help to narrow down the location.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the reply. That is good confirmation of what I was thinking. I have narrowed it down to the middle of the passenger side head. When I turned the engine by hand and pressed on each lifter they seemed ok but this definitely warrants another look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 03:48 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
Location: Sacramento, California & El Dorado Hills, California, USA
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
A couple of things...

The "MOT" Valve(Purge Valve) is known to tick loud. The valve sends engine vacuum to the fuel tank. Follow the large engine vacuum lines. One goes to the brake booster and the other to the MOT valve..

Remember, these M119 have bypass oilers at the top of the heads, and your oilers are metal(+93/+94 M119's have plastic oilers that blow the end-caps, and make the tick), BUT........ They yours have rubber orings. I would inspect the oiler orings for how soft they are, but I bet they are brittle-hard. I'd replace the orings first, and while you are there you will see any CAM lobe's with excessive wear..

Martin
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

(Thread Starter)
To keep things updated, I've been driving and enjoying the car. Aside from the noise, its great! My now retired mechanic came to take a listen and agrees that its either a failed hydraulic lifter or perhaps a broken valve spring. Either way he offered to come back when I have it opened up again to get a better idea.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: R129 500 SL 1991
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Garage
Noise sounds a bit too loud to be lifter. Although not ruling it out.

The sound like in your YouTube video could be due to the AC pump. This occurs if you turn off ignition slightly before coming to a complete stop. Fix is to turn AC off and back on again when engine is running.

If this doesn't work then remove air filter box. With engine running, hold handle of screwdriver to your ear and carefully place the blade of the screwdriver on the valve cover. Move screwdriver until noose is loudest. Make a note where this is (I.e. L/H, R/H, front,rear etc) and report back.

Becareful about driving too far with this noise. If it's the cam chain tensioner, failure while engine running is usually expensive.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 06:48 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: '96 SL500
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AroundTheBenz View Post
It sure sounds like a lifter to me ... just one. Do you have a Mechanic's Stethoscope? That might help to narrow down the location.
Agreed.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 06:49 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Garage
Just realised that you had already narrowed location down to middle passenger side. I didn't read your post properly, sorry. Not ac pump. Disregard.

So, a bit of old tensioner in oil feed; bad lifter or broken valve spring?

Does the tapping go away if you rev the engine? This would eliminate broken valve spring at least.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm.UK View Post
Just realised that you had already narrowed location down to middle passenger side. I didn't read your post properly, sorry. Not ac pump. Disregard.

So, a bit of old tensioner in oil feed; bad lifter or broken valve spring?

Does the tapping go away if you rev the engine? This would eliminate broken valve spring at least.

Thanks for the replies. The noise does not go away when revving. Pulled the valve cover and found the lifter to be dead when pressing down on it.

I haven't made any progress, although I purchased LOTS of parts in hopes of replacing the dead lifter.

Are there any "while you are in there jobs" I should consider?

I have a new chain, tension and guide rails figuring that is the most obvious thing to do. Any other ideas?

Also, is rebuilding the dead lifter the best choice? I've heard that it will have the appropriate amount of wear to match the cam lobe as opposed to a new one that won't. Also looking through the EPC it seems the only lifters available new are a different weight. Not sure if that matters at all.

Thanks everyone for the input!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:06 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Garage
The front engine cover will presumably have to come off if you intend to replace the full set of guides and tensioners. While you're there, new water pump and thermostat?

When stuff sucks... make it right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in