Old 03-09-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2018
Vehicle: 1994 SL 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
94 SL500 Lower wiring harness replacement

Struggling with replacing the lower wiring harness on a '94 SL500. I have it disconnected from the ECU, Alternator, Oil pressure sending unit but I don't know how to access the starter to disconnect if there. very tight quarters. Do i need to disconnect the exhaust manifold to gain access from above or is there a way to access from below? Also does the harness attach to anything on the left side of the engine and if so what and where?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2018, 05:44 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1995 SL320, 1995 SL500 ("Red Devil " project), 1998 C280, 2004 E500 4matic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Garage
I have not done this yet, but will have to, upper harness is 2015 new, lower one is another story... I couldn't find any factory tech notes, if anyone has some info/pdf files, would be great!

For the time being, take a look at W140 forum DIY post on S500 replacement, should be helpful

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...ml#post4809911

This one as supplemental as well https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...l#post13382177

Regards,
D
Old 03-10-2018, 06:31 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2018
Vehicle: 1995 SL 500
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
tight quarters is correct

Before you begin, turn your wheels hard left.......and then disconnect your battery

I just replaced this on my 95 sl 500. There is a bracket (bracket 2 in pic 1 upper left, also in pic 4) between the starter and the end of the "positive cable" (pic 2) where it connects in the transmission tunnel to the 12V stud.(pic 2) The bracket (pic 4)bolts to the trans bellhousing with an allen bolt. It can be difficult.

It is best accessed from above, between the firewall and the engine, using a 20" extension. After removing that bracket bolt, remove the two bolts that hold the starter to the bellhousing. This allows you to turn the starter downward so you can access the 12v and switch connections from the wiring harness to starter (pic 5). Remove the three heat shields that surround the starter. These are held on with sheet metal screws and nuts. Once this difficult part of the job is done and youve wrangled the heat shields off, you can tilt the entire starter, solenoid downward, and unbolt the 12v connection and the switched connection.

As far as having to remove the exhaust, it depends on your exhaust configuration. Sorry. If you can remove the drivers side pipe from the exhaust manifold to the left side pipe (my config) it will give you more room to work.

Good luck. dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC 1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	2392738   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	2392746   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 3.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	2392754   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 4.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	2392762   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 5.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	2392770  

RedLiner and duh_vinci like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the input. reviewed both the links and sent Buffalochip some questions. I'll update the forum as the project moves forward. FWIW the part number pelican parts shows for my harness is 129-540-05-30 ($340). Found it online at MB Direct for $240 and ordered it but have not received an order confirmation or shipping confirmation email so not sure what to make of that.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Make sure you have the correct harness part number for your VIN number. There's three different choices depending on the last six of the VIN. At those prices I would be tempted to rebuild the one that you have. It's a rather limited harness.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the input. I'll check with the stealer for their take on the proper part number. Not opposed to paying for the right part but will rebuild if needed.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok the wiring harness is out, along with the starter and 3 heat shields. But before anybody starts on this job be aware that what is being called the lower wiring harness is actually 2 separate sets of wires that I will call A and B.

Set A is comprised of 4 18 gauge wires and 1 heavier wire that runs forward from which connect to the ECM. The 4 18 gauge wires run to the alternator, oil pressure sensor and the single pole unit beside the OPS and mine are blue, blue/red, green, red or brown. The heavier wire is purple/white and it goes to the starter solenoid. The only wires in my case that failed were the 4 18 gauge wires which can easily be replaced without removing the starter, heat shields, etc.

Set B is really a single 6 gauge wire that runs from the firewall connection with the main battery cable to the starter and on to the alternator. In my case the insulation on this wire did not fail and shows no signs of wear.

THIS MEANS THAT I DID NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE STARTER AND THE BLASTED HEAT SHIELDS TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE.

I was fooled because there was excess of the 4 18 gauge wires that was taped along the purple/white solenoid wire and which disappeared behind the exhaust header in the direction of the starter. Pulling on these wires did not dislodge them so I assumed that they were part of the "lower wiring harness". In the picture you can see the round rubber wrap that the P/W wire continues through while the 18 gauge wires are folded back.

I am off to Lowe's to buy some 18 gauge stranded wire that is heat and petroleum resistant for $8 for 35'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8021.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	2402553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8027.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	2402561  
RedLiner, Richard F and duh_vinci like this.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
And another picture which clearly shows the cables A & B along with the starter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8029.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	2402585  
RedLiner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in