Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Dead Rollbar?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  bobterry99 
#1 ·
Gentlemen (and Ladies?);

Where to begin...

In another post, I asked about the location of the top & roll bar hydraulic reservoir on an '01 SL500, thankfully I was directed to that location, but now it's a bit more complicated than I thought, so here goes...

In that same post, I mentioned that the roll bar snapped up and scared the s**t out of me, but there's more. When I first start the car cold, both the roll bar switch button and top button are illuminated (see pic). If I re-start the car they clear.

Yesterday, after re-starting (lights out), I tried to lower the roll bar (it was still up after the "snap") I heard a thump or mild bang noise, but the roll bar will not lower. Consequently, I'm thinking the top is not going to work either. Currently, the hardtop is on as it's (kind of) winter here.

I'm leaning toward a non-electrical issue as I do get a sound when hitting the switch, which is pushing me toward mechanical issues. By the way, I did manage to check the fluid level and it is at the correct position, so it seems correctly filled.

I'm open to any suggestions, cause this is a scary one. The thought of dealing with the roll bar springs is making me freak out!

Thanks for any help,
Mike

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
ok if the roll bar snapped up, the roll bar won't just go down with the switch without a "reset". the manual has the procedure, but IIRC push the roll bar switch to RAISE the rollbar and HOLD it in the UP position for 10 or 15 seconds. this puts the ram in the up position. Then you can lower it. When the roll bar goes up as you described it is lifted up by a spring, not the hydraulic ram. so the ram is still in the DOWN position. you need to use the roll bar switch to get the ram in the up position, locked in place so it can then lower the roll bar.

Reactions: AroundTheBenz
#4 ·
Thank you both for the prompt replies. I will absolutely give this a shot.

Does this also explain the double lights on the roll bar and top switches, or do I still have another issue to deal with?

Thanks again,
Mike

#5 ·
Mike,

I also commented in your other thread, having experienced (and still do) the roll bar ratchet up unexpectedly. To lower the roll bar back down, I push the top button (big red) forward (or toward the "close" position) for a few seconds, release, then use the roll bar button to lower the bar - it's worked every time. This doesn't solve my sudden-pop-up issue, but at least it lowers the bar so that I can see better out the back. The procedure described above worked when the hard top is off - not sure if it works when hard top is installed.

#6 ·
n

In the case of an earlier SL, the roll bar system looks at sensors on the rear axle and if there is more than a certain amount of movement it triggers the roll bar. In your case, the sensors could be mis adjusted.

On the later SL, (96ish?) the axle sensors were removed, and the system revised to use an 3 axis accelerometer in the roll bar/top control module.

#8 ·
Since I have an '02, my roll bar sensors must be in the control module. I hope hat doesn't mean I have a bad module...

I've also had a lot of trouble keeping the windows synced as well since it got cold. Didn't happen last winter, but has already happened 3 times this year. I have just been re-syncing them and they seem fine.

Thanks again all,
Mike

#9 ·
Since I have an '02, my roll bar sensors must be in the control module. I hope hat doesn't mean I have a bad module...
I suggest you read codes from the roof controller using Star Diagnosis or its equivalent. You can put together a system for $300 as discussed on a recent thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.