BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 1992 500SL (129.066)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Hard top rear only locking on one side

Anybody had an issue with the hard top where it locks down fine on both front latches, and one of the rear latches, but the other rear latch refuses to pull that corner of the hard top down fully?

I experienced this issue Sunday past, and the problem still exists. I had folded the softop away, and lowered the hard top into position with my hoist as normal. I've tried removing and reseating several times, but it flat refuses to pull down fully on the O/S (UK) rear corner, meaning that there is a gap between the underside of that corner and the body of the car of around 2cm.

Never experienced a problem with my hard top or softop before.

I have also noticed that since this issue arose, I now need to disconnect the battery briefly before the roof switch will allow the hard top to be disengaged and raised up by the hydraulics.
If I have attempted to lock the hard top down by pushing forward on the roof button, nothing happens when pulling back on the button in an attempt to raise the hard top again unless I disconnect the battery again first.

I do have the tool for manual use, but having read a few threads on the issues this can cause, I'm reluctant to see if it will pull down with the tool.

Fluid is also changed every year, and is up to level.

I've read several threads on the subject of both rear latches not pulling down, but can't find anything relating to one latch working, and the other not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
any chance the offending side tang is bent slightly? the tang must go into the hole in the proper position for the latch to grab it and pull it down. Just like on the soft top.

with the hardtop in position and ready to start latching are the front and rear gaps to the latches close to the same on both sides of the front and rear? they should be if everything is in alignment. If not see what is causing the misalignment.

the position of the tang, AND the alignment of the latch is adjustable. it shouldn't need adjusting, but look carefully. One issue you can run into is having one top latch fine with the right clearance and the other not latch or have the wrong clearance.

It sounds like the hardtop tang is either out of position, or not dropping far enough into the latch to get hooked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
Old 05-16-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-420 View Post
any chance the offending side tang is bent slightly? the tang must go into the hole in the proper position for the latch to grab it and pull it down. Just like on the soft top.

with the hardtop in position and ready to start latching are the front and rear gaps to the latches close to the same on both sides of the front and rear? they should be if everything is in alignment. If not see what is causing the misalignment.
I did have a look from the side of the car, and the 'tangs' hang down at slightly different angles. Would this suggest that one of the pins have been pushed out of alignment? Can't see how this would have happened as it is never laid down on the ground.

When you talk about..."the front and rear gaps to the latches close to the same on both sides of the front and rear?"...not quite understanding what you mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan67 View Post
...one of the rear latches, but the other rear latch refuses to pull that corner of the hard top down fully?
Determine whether or not the hydraulic pump is running while you press the control switch and the latch fails to lock.

Quote:
I do have the tool for manual use, but having read a few threads on the issues this can cause, I'm reluctant to see if it will pull down with the tool.
I would never hesitate to use the tool to manually operate the locks. In your case it may inform you of an obvious problem.
isthenew likes this.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
I did have a look from the side of the car, and the 'tangs' hang down at slightly different angles. Would this suggest that one of the pins have been pushed out of alignment? Can't see how this would have happened as it is never laid down on the ground.

When you talk about..."the front and rear gaps to the latches close to the same on both sides of the front and rear?"...not quite understanding what you mean.
the tangs are easier to bend than it first appears.

to expand on the gap question. when you put the hardtop on the car ready to latch into position. If you lock from the back of the car, is the gap between the top and car the same on both sides?

If you look from the front of the car is the gap the same on both sides?

It should be very close to the same side to side before you hit the switch.

If one side is up more than the other, that could indicate that something is not aligned correctly and interfering with the latching.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
Old 05-16-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobterry99 View Post
Quote:
...one of the rear latches, but the other rear latch refuses to pull that corner of the hard top down fully?
Determine whether or not the hydraulic pump is running while you press the control switch and the latch fails to lock.

Quote:
I would never hesitate to use the tool to manually operate the locks. In your case it may inform you of an obvious problem.
Pump is not operating when I try to raise hard top again with the roof button......unless I briefly disconnect the battery. Then pump works as usual.

From reading other posts on using the roof tool, it appears that this can cause synchronisation issues when using the roof button again. I believe one post mentioned needing to have the roof controller reset by an Indy after having used the roof tool. This is why I am weary.

Thanks for all help so far by the way.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:13 AM
RKH
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Quote:
I did have a look from the side of the car, and the 'tangs' hang down at slightly different angles. Would this suggest that one of the pins have been pushed out of alignment? ...
Sounds like they were bent, but can easily be straightened out. How did you store your HT ?
Old 05-16-2017, 11:17 AM
RKH
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
If it is the left side rear latch not pulling down, check to make sure the defroster cable for the HT is not caught under the HT
Old 05-16-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKH View Post
Quote:
I did have a look from the side of the car, and the 'tangs' hang down at slightly different angles. Would this suggest that one of the pins have been pushed out of alignment? ...
Sounds like they were bent, but can easily be straightened out. How did you store your HT ?
Hard top is raised from car using a home made winch. Wraps under roof in front of B-posts, and grabs under centre of bottom of rear window.
I do attach a bungee cord to one of the 'tangs' to keep roof from rotating on the winch as it hangs from garage roof. Come to think of it, this tang is the one that looks bent more towards the rear of the roof. However, this is also the one that is locking down without any problem. It's the other tang that isn't locking.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-420 View Post
Quote:

the tangs are easier to bend than it first appears.

to expand on the gap question. when you put the hardtop on the car ready to latch into position. If you lock from the back of the car, is the gap between the top and car the same on both sides?

If you look from the front of the car is the gap the same on both sides?

It should be very close to the same side to side before you hit the switch.

If one side is up more than the other, that could indicate that something is not aligned correctly and interfering with the latching.
That's certainly clearer, thank you. I'll look into this tomorrow and take a pic or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in