No more 129 keys. - Page 14 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 170 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 02:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
6 months ago my parts guy whom I trust said NONE of the chip keys for R129's where available in the U.S. he checked the valet (mickey mouse) key, regular key and remote.

Outside the U.S. which is where it looks like the invoice is for, may be a different story.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 170 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 03:57 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 1998 SL500 Sport
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-420 View Post
6 months ago my parts guy whom I trust said NONE of the chip keys for R129's where available in the U.S. he checked the valet (mickey mouse) key, regular key and remote.

Outside the U.S. which is where it looks like the invoice is for, may be a different story.

Looks like this one was cross docked in Poland. Second picture shows Polish part description (Iím Polish). Really tempted to try ordering it. If it doesnít start the car, it wonít kill the immobilizer, will it? It will just prevent it from starting, right? Iím just afraid that if I try to use a ďbad keyĒ that my original remote will no longer work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #133 of 170 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 04:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
Alright. Called all the dealers in Chicago and Milwaukee and they told me the same thing. That part is NLA. The last guy emailed me a list of dealers that were showing that part in stock and when I called them, they said it was a special order part waiting for customer pickup. They all said since itís a key, it came to them cut already from MB. Soooooo, I am guessing the Facebook guy maybe ordered in Europe? That said, would the US dealers have visibility into the world, not just the States?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #134 of 170 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 05:23 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1995 SL320, 1995 SL500 ("Red Devil " project), 1998 C280, 2004 E500 4matic
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
...They all said since itís a key, it came to them cut already from MB. Soooooo, I am guessing the Facebook guy maybe ordered in Europe? That said, would the US dealers have visibility into the world, not just the States?
This makes no sense to me, yes, available in Europe - he did order through Warsaw, Poland according to receipt posted, and NOT available in the US? I feel bad for the headaches later 90's owners have to face just to order (try to order) a key

Regards,
D
post #135 of 170 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 05:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duh_vinci View Post
This makes no sense to me, yes, available in Europe - he did order through Warsaw, Poland according to receipt posted, and NOT available in the US? I feel bad for the headaches later 90's owners have to face just to order (try to order) a key

Regards,

D

I may, just may, contact a dealer there tomorrow to see if they would ship the key to the US. Again, I am afraid that if the chip is bad it might immobilize my car. If some can confirm that the worst that will happen it that it just wonít start/stay running, Iíll pull the trigger as an experiment and report back.

post #136 of 170 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Alright. Called all the dealers in Chicago and Milwaukee and they told me the same thing. That part is NLA. The last guy emailed me a list of dealers that were showing that part in stock and when I called them, they said it was a special order part waiting for customer pickup. They all said since itís a key, it came to them cut already from MB. Soooooo, I am guessing the Facebook guy maybe ordered in Europe? That said, would the US dealers have visibility into the world, not just the States?

U.S. parts guys (the good ones) DO have access to worldwide parts stocks. More than once when a part wasn't available in the U.S. my parts guy was able to find one in Europe and get it shipped over. However, there are parts that are restricted for ordering, usually parts that deal with emissions, safety etc. For example a U.S. dealer can check status on the euro headlights but CANNOT order or have one shipped to the U.S. UNLESS they can verify the VIN number belongs to a european car legally registered in the U.S. Usually this is for diplomat's cars.

Don't know if the key would be under this or not, nor do I know if the euro chip and immobilizer is the same as U.S. cars.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
post #137 of 170 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 07:16 PM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
Quote:
U.S. parts guys (the good ones) DO have access to worldwide parts stocks. More than once when a part wasn't available in the U.S. my parts guy was able to find one in Europe and get it shipped over. However, there are parts that are restricted for ordering, usually parts that deal with emissions, safety etc. For example a U.S. dealer can check status on the euro headlights but CANNOT order or have one shipped to the U.S. UNLESS they can verify the VIN number belongs to a european car legally registered in the U.S. Usually this is for diplomat's cars.

Don't know if the key would be under this or not, nor do I know if the euro chip and immobilizer is the same as U.S. cars.
Well, I emailed a parts guy at the Mercedes dealership in Warsaw. In my broken Polish. Hopefully it makes sense to him and hopefully I get an answer. If he can order one for me, I will test it out and if it works, I will become a "Keyler" for us US guys and start a "bidness"...
Greek500SL likes this.
post #138 of 170 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 02:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2017
Vehicle: 2000 SL 500 Sport
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Quote:

Well, I emailed a parts guy at the Mercedes dealership in Warsaw. In my broken Polish. Hopefully it makes sense to him and hopefully I get an answer. If he can order one for me, I will test it out and if it works, I will become a "Keyler" for us US guys and start a "bidness"... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/BenzWorld2/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG]
AndI would like to get On your "list"

Good luck

If you or anyone owns an R129 1997-2002 did you know that none of the keys or remotes are available. Even if you don't need a key at the moment call your local MB dealer and inquire about having a key and remote made. If they get enough interest maybe they will show a little bit of interest regarding solving this issue.
Thanks
Mark
post #139 of 170 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 01:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Quote:
I have read a lot of posts and will admit that I have not gone through every page. I have focused on a local and OEM type solution. I will look at what you mentioned and may hit you up. Not trying to be difficult, just sharing my experience. This is my first ďmodernĒ Mercedes. Have had a few w116s (LOVE that series) and a ton of VWs from all generations. I know VWs have their quirks but I have been able to work around them using VAGCom. Learning that MB is not as easy. At least the R129 has less electronics to hack than a normal VW.

You want local and oem then you wonít be starting your car . If you actually want a solution to your problem have the Classic Center get the key listed above from Germany , or try the non oem locksmiths . Thatís if you actually want to get something accomplished ratter then just complain about it online
post #140 of 170 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 03:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2000 SL320, 2001 CLK320
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
The keys, chips and FOBs are not available from Mercedes Germany - full stop

Mercedes basically given us the middle finger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in