OEM radio and Bluetooth - Page 27 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #261 of 280 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 65 220SEb, 97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc00p View Post
R129's do not have control buttons on the steering wheel.
But his 02 CLK does.

And no, they will not work with the CANBUS controls in the later models. There might be some sort of third party interface out there, as I know there are for other models of radios.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 280 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 01:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2002 CLK55 AMG, 2014 GLK250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc00p View Post
R129's do not have control buttons on the steering wheel.
Thanks, that's probably why no one mentioned the buttons.
post #263 of 280 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:31 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryi View Post
Re post 255, ceta4zng, if you have fewer than a few dozen cassettes that you want to salvage, I suggest that you might consider transferring them to mp3.
Thanks - but I upgraded to a Kenwood with USB (I have a 64g thumb in there), Bluetooth, aux, the whole 9. I am in the process of putting digital music BACK on cassette because that is how I listened when I started driving as a teen in the 80s. Something about listening to 'Side 1' and having the cassette auto-reverse to 'Side 2' and then back again indefinitely makes me happy. Me and my friends would always have those 'what is the best side 2, song 1 of any album?' discussions. Just not as much fun with digital 1-15 running order.

As far as I can tell, the conti does not have a cassette deck, correct?

Last edited by ceta4zng; 06-25-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #264 of 280 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:15 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1997 SL500 - VIN WDBFA67F8VF151031 and 2011 E350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Probably not, nor 8-track or a glove-box 45 RPM record player like Plymouth offered as an option in 1956. And I used to have a 1941 Chevy that had vacuum assist on the gearshift lever, but I don't miss it.
post #265 of 280 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 01:38 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2018
Vehicle: 2001 SL 500, 2018 Cadillac XT5, 2013 Honda F6B
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-420 View Post
and I agree also. in many cases you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver like those in eyeglass repair kits to push in the retention tang and pull out the pin.

Or a good auto parts store often has a small toolkit that has the pin removers for several common pins.

I've found I can remove about 90% of the pins from housings with simple tools.

One trick is to push on the screwdriver tip as you also push the pin inwards as if your installing it, that way the tang can move all the way out of the way, THEN try pulling the pin out. Don't try to pull on the pin wire as you push on the screwdriver. you want to release the pin first, then remove.
So thanks to this forum I was able to buy and install a Continental Radio in my 01 Sl-500 yesterday, And as others have noticed the USB port restarted on the first song after restarting the car. Switching the wires in the harness was fairly easy. I simply inserted a sewing needle into the plug on the plug side and wiggled the 2 male plugs out and swapped them. The only things you need to remember are which wire went to which plug slot and to rebend the retainer tang before reinserting the male posts into the plug. So far the radio seems to be superior to the factory one in every way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio harness.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	2443297  
post #266 of 280 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 05:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 1991 500SL; 2014 GLK250 BlueTEC
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
1991 500SL Conti Install

Today was a good day - I successfully installed the Conti in my 1991 500SL. Everything seems to be working properly.

I bought the car last year with an old tape-decked Alpine unit installed (with CD), and I wanted it out of there after discovering the Conti on these pages, which handles bluetooth and more aesthetically pleasing.

My car's OEM unit should've been a Becker Grand Prix 1432, according to the Black Forest Becker Radio history page.

The Conti was purchased via eBay Germany, and arrived within two weeks (ECS Tuning now sells it as well). As the Alpine had a non-ISO connector, I had to source the correct ISO connectors to fit the Conti, from Amazon.

INSTALLATION:

Here are the wiring connections:

Battery (constant power): Car (Red/White) to Conti/ISO (Red)
Ignition (switched power): Car (Blue/Black) to Conti/ISO (Yellow)
Ground: Car (Brown) to Conti/ISO (Black)
Antenna: Car (Blue) to Conti/ISO (Blue)
Illumination: Car (Grey/Purple x 2) to Conti/ISO (Orange)

Speaker wiring colors are the same for both Car and Conti/ISO.

The Conti does not use the car's existing amp, so it doesn't have an "amp" connection (Blue/White on car). The only other port is that for the antenna, which also comes with a modern smaller-apertured adapter - this can be pulled out of the Conti unit to expose a larger diam. socket, into which my existing antenna male plug fit.

I ran the included MIC and sticky-padded it to the lower side of my instrument cluster, to the left of the center console.

WIth everything plugged in, the Conti (the unit sitting in its aluminum chassis) slid nicely and snuggly into the corresponding slot in the car.

By the way, I used Posi-Products wire connectors, which made the job much easier.

SOME OBSERVATIONS:

The radio looks great in the center console; it looks period-correct in the daytime, and the yellow display lighting at night matches my center console and instrument panel lights nicely. 5-stars here.

Bluetooth was easy to set up for my Nexus 5 Android phone. The phone's Bluetooth detected the radio right away, and the pairing code that worked was “1234”.

The music sound quality is quite good, with the Conti's internal amp able to drive the stock speakers well enough for casual listening. The Conti has an adjustable equalizer, but I found its presets for "Pop", "Classical", "Rock", and "Jazz" more user-friendly. I chose "Rock".

When dialing a call from my phone, the text “Dialing…” appeared on the Conti’s display panel. The call connected without drama, and I could hear my wife on the other end through the speakers, though her voice volume was a bit low; I didn’t get a chance to adjust with the volume knob as I was busy driving. Also, my wife claimed that she couldn’t hear me too well, and this was after I had turned off the climate control unit to cut down on ambient noise; I may have to move the microphone higher and closer to my head. I don’t think that the “built-in” mike will cut it, where it’s currently situated.

Radio comes on/off when I turn the engine on/off - perfect. When the radio turns on, the antenna automatically rises (even in Bluetooth mode), and drops when the radio is turned off. When I turn off the radio in BT mode, it retains the BT mode next time I turn it back on.

Aside from a possible phone-volume issue, I’m quite satisfied with the Conti - it does everything that I ask it to, and more.

post #267 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:24 PM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Microphone

Well, I got antsy today, and thought I'd investigate using the MB microphone with my continental 7412. Removing the cluster, climate controls, and radio are easy enough. False panel in glove box also removes easily. There it was... the microphone cable. Dammit; however, the male end is 2.5mm and the continental adapter is 3.5 mm female.
a quick search on Ebay, and adapter is on the way...
I'll update later if it seems to improve things. While the radio mic appears to function fine, it does suffer a bit when top is down. I don't expect the MB mic to be any better, but we'll see...

Best Regards...

RM Smith
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
post #268 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:26 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2016
Vehicle: '02 SL500; '07 CL600; '98 SL600; (13) BMW's; 1967 Buick Riviera
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Can anyone tell me if it can handle the 6CD changer in the trunk as well, or is that function lost?

Thanks
post #269 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:08 AM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
That function is lost. But, of course, you will have more music on your phone or mp3 player than you can put in that thing anyway.

post #270 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:13 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2016
Vehicle: '02 SL500; '07 CL600; '98 SL600; (13) BMW's; 1967 Buick Riviera
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
True story!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in