OEM radio and Bluetooth - Page 26 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #251 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 08:20 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 1987 560SL, 1998 SL500
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I agree with all of Ears answers. I have uses an iPod in the aux port 1/8" to 1/8" cable works well, and navigate thru the iPod. Another new bonus for me anyway, is that my new subscription for Sirius satellite radio added streaming of all channels for $5.00 per month. I have it in my modern cars, and now can have it in my older cars. I never spent money better than this radio upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 280 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 2002 ml320 for sale 1994 E500 current 1993 500sl current 2002 e55 Sold 1967 250s Sold
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshoe View Post
I agree with all of Ears answers. I have uses an iPod in the aux port 1/8" to 1/8" cable works well, and navigate thru the iPod. Another new bonus for me anyway, is that my new subscription for Sirius satellite radio added streaming of all channels for $5.00 per month. I have it in my modern cars, and now can have it in my older cars. I never spent money better than this radio upgrade.

Im trying to upgrade my factory radio in my wifes 1993 500sl to an alpine can anyone tell me which wiring harness I need to buy and where I can buy it. Thank you sorry to go off topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #253 of 280 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:09 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2016
Vehicle: 91 500SL R129 & 04 CL203 220 CDI
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonforman View Post
This was very helpful. Thank you!
Did you finally make it work ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #254 of 280 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:03 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2017
Vehicle: 1992 R129
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I did not make it work. I brought it to two different stereo installation places and it would have been 800-900 to put in.

I found an AMAZING option though. There is a place called Creative Car Audio Shop in Southern CA https://creativecaraudioshop.com/

And they were able to install a bluetooth unit into my receiver. Since it's quite far back, I need to keep my phone closer to the trunk. It's a small shop and very cool fella running it, I forgot his name unfortunately. I can find if anyone wants. He wasn't completely happy that the bluetooth didn't reach all the way to the front, so he's offered to tinker. I love people like that... I would have actually been happy with the solution even though it wasn't perfect, but he really cares to get it right.

This cost me $200 bucks and I get to keep my original stereo.

Now I just need to return my Continental.

Thanks for all the help! I can give anyone more info on the above mentioned car shop if they want.

Best,
JF
post #255 of 280 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 01:06 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
I really want to put my stock head unit back in because it has a cassette deck - and I finally found a tape to tape cassette recorder. GROM has a unit that works for my son's Volvo that enables bluetooth, USB and aux running off the CD changer output - but nothing for the R129. But I don't want to give up bluetooth calls for cassette.
post #256 of 280 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 06:01 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2018
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonforman View Post
I did not make it work. I brought it to two different stereo installation places and it would have been 800-900 to put in.

I found an AMAZING option though. There is a place called Creative Car Audio Shop in Southern CA https://creativecaraudioshop.com/

And they were able to install a bluetooth unit into my receiver. Since it's quite far back, I need to keep my phone closer to the trunk. It's a small shop and very cool fella running it, I forgot his name unfortunately. I can find if anyone wants. He wasn't completely happy that the bluetooth didn't reach all the way to the front, so he's offered to tinker. I love people like that... I would have actually been happy with the solution even though it wasn't perfect, but he really cares to get it right.

This cost me $200 bucks and I get to keep my original stereo.

Now I just need to return my Continental.

Thanks for all the help! I can give anyone more info on the above mentioned car shop if they want.

Best,
JF
@jasonforman
Did you return the Conti yet? I could be interested in buying from you.

Thanks!
post #257 of 280 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1997 SL500 - VIN WDBFA67F8VF151031 and 2011 E350
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Re Message 245, the user manual link is bad. Use the link on Message 243 instead, or the identical link below:

http://sbranch.org/pdf/Conti%20TR741...ers-Manual.pdf
post #258 of 280 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:36 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1997 SL500 - VIN WDBFA67F8VF151031 and 2011 E350
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Re post 255, ceta4zng, if you have fewer than a few dozen cassettes that you want to salvage, I suggest that you might consider transferring them to mp3. Then you can use the Conti and access all of them through a low-profile USB stick. I now have approx 500 tracks (i.e. 50 CDS or cassettes) on my Conti, in addition to a separate selectable input for my XM radio, and bluetooth. Your car is even newer than my 97 SL500, so it should be a slam-dunk to install the Conti. The installation on my 97 SL500 was very straightforward. Be sure to swap the A4 and A7 wires so the radio turns on with the ignition (Use two simple crimp connectors). The sensitivity of my new radio is far superior to that of the OEM Alpine that I replaced. My CD player was already broken when I bought the car, and I had no need for a cassette player. So for me it was a no-brainer to go for the Conti. If you need more than 500 tracks, you will need to exchange multiple thumb drives. Even though you can put more than 500 tracks on one USB drive, the Conti can only manage about 500 from one USB drive.
post #259 of 280 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 10:26 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2002 CLK55 AMG, 2014 GLK250
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Sorry to hijack this thread but I am thinking of installing one of these in an '02 CLK55 and wonder if the volume buttons still work on the steering wheel.
post #260 of 280 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow (Sold May 2019 after 11 1/2 years)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekwh View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread but I am thinking of installing one of these in an '02 CLK55 and wonder if the volume buttons still work on the steering wheel.
R129's do not have control buttons on the steering wheel.

Cogito ergo Mercedes Benz...I think therefore I drive Mercedes Benz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in