Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1992 500SL Power Steering Replacement Procedure Needed

11K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  Keithdm 
#1 ·
Can anyone point me to directions or preferably a video on how to remove the fluid container (reservoir) and steering pump box for a 1992 500SL ?
I've found YouTube videos on other model Mercedes which don't help me.
I can't see where you unbolt the reservoir to get to the pump.
I even purchased the STAR Service Manual Library Model 129 which I can't seem to load on any of my computers.
I want to try to rebuild my leaking pump or buy a new one.
Any DIY help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Phil

#3 ·
Rumb,
Thanks for your help. That was EXACTLY what I needed.
WOW, illustrations and clear guidance. Couldn't ask for anymore than that.
I'm going to have to check out Pelican Parts for more Technical Articles.
I wonder if they have anything on rebuilding that pump.
I sent away for the seal kit and was going to wing it but if they have anything like this article, it would be a great help.

Thanks again
Phil

#5 ·
Kayrunner,
Thanks for the response.
Do you have any procedural documentation written or video that shows how to rebuild the Vicker's type Power Steering pump on a 1990 through 1992 500SL ?
I've found older or newer but not exactly that pump.

Thanks in advance.
Phil

#6 ·
Rumb,
When you say there are 2 bolts torx bits on the backside where are you talking about.
the reason I ask is I followed the Pelican Parts procedure. I have everything off but I still can't get the pump loose.
I've tried to get something behind it to break it free but it seems like there's something else holding it on.
I really want to smack it with a pry bar and a hammer but thought I'd ask you about those 2 bolts first.
So, can you zero me n on the location of the torx bolts and what size they are.
Thanks in advance.
Phil

#7 ·
Phil,

There is a very good thread on the removal and replacement of the power steering pump - http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...-overhaul.html - suggest you check it out. I followed those instructions and had no problem at all with the job. I do have the necessary tools (didn't use air tools with all of the aluminum involved) it is not a bad job.

Add a quart of MB PS fluid, blue Loctite and some rags and you've got what you need.

Good luck..

#13 · (Edited)
I removed three 13mm bolts; (facing the pump) one on the bottom, one on the left and one at the top right that is actually a nut on a stud and then the 5.5mm hex at the top left under the reservoir. Did I miss one?
P.S. not the 4 that hold the pump together.
Update:
I found a picture of the bracket and it looks like I have all four bolts removed.
So, I guess I have to put some force behind it and break it free. I hope I don't break anything. Any suggestions?

Attachments

#16 ·
I added this yesterday but I have know idea where it ended up.

I found a picture of the bracket and it looks like I have all the bolts removed. 4 bolts, one of which is a hex bolt.

Could it be that it's just stuck from 120k miles of heat and grease and grunge?

I guess I'm going to go in with a pry bar and other implements of destruction and hope for the best?
I'll let you know how it turns out.

And I thought getting this thing off was the easy part. I hope the seals on the pump don't give me this much trouble.

Attachments

#17 ·
Phil,

Let me try the link to the W140 forum again - http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1481425-photo-diy-steering-pump-overhaul.html. This has some good photos: the E12 torx bolt on the back side of the pump that can only be reached from underneath the car is one that you probably have left and that is the worst photo. The reinstall photo is a little better. I can tell you for sure that if you are not underneath the car, you can't see it. Once you have all the bolts out it will drop right off.

(while it is titled steering pump overhaul it has a good remove and replace how to)

Again good luck.

#18 ·
Boydm,
This time the link worked. I can see that this is a different pump though. Mine is from a 1992 500SL. I'll look for the E12 Torx bolt. Are you sure it will be there on the 92 model?
In any event, this link looks like it will come in handy when I get the pump off and go to replace the seal and o-rings.

I've been referring to the following link I received from a user named rumb that lists the removal process:

Pelican Technical Article - Mercedes-Benz W129 / R129 - Power Steering Pump Removal

Check it out.
I go through every step but can't seem to get it to budge.
I does seem like there is still something holding it on.

I had the front of the pump off trying to follow this procedure. If I can't get the bracket off, the only thing left would be to take the top off again and replace the main seal. I really wanted to replace that little 3 inch piece of hose that goes to the reservoir though. Unfortunately,I can't do that unless I get the bracket off to get to 2 bolts on the back of the bracket.
Arrrrrrrgggggg!!!!!!!

Thanks and let e know if you come up with anything else. I'll let you know if I have any luck.
Phil

#19 ·
Kayrunner, or anybody,
Would you be able to get me the blow-out diagram of the Power Steering Pump, reservoir and bracket with all the bolts and fasteners for my 1992 Mercedes 500SL ? I believe from 1990 to 1992 would work.
I think they changed to the SL500 in 1993 which had a different reservoir and bracket.

It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Phil

#20 ·
I'm not sure how this posting split into two but somehow it did. So, I'm entering this post again in this side of the split?

Kayrunner, or anybody,
Would you be able to get me the blow-out diagram of the Power Steering Pump, reservoir and bracket with all the bolts and fasteners for my 1992 Mercedes 500SL ? I believe from 1990 to 1992 would work.
I think they changed to the SL500 in 1993 which had a different reservoir and bracket.

It would be greatly appreciated.

The 90-92 bracket is attached below.

Thanks
Phil

Attachments

#21 ·
Hi Phil,
I wrote you back through your email a few days ago letting you know I have the vickers pump break down (77) pages worth but needed your vin to make sure it is exactly like yours. The program I have involves every mercedes made for every country so inputting your vin ensures the correct procedure and part.
Kayrunner

#22 ·
Kayrunner,
I never received your email, I just checked again unless I accidentally deleted it?
Anyway my VIN is WDBFA66E0NF061509 - 92 500SL
The pump breakdown would be really helpful if I can ever get this bracket off so, in addition and first I need the diagram of the pump and bracket to see if there are any hidden bolts possibly from behind or underneath the car. I've been hearing that there is a E12 bolt that can only be gotten from underneath but that was on a 97. I'm going to look for it tomorrow but I have to push the car out of the garage and put it on jack stands to look for it. so, the blow-out (I think that's what it's called) would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Phil
pdesimone@comcast.net

#23 ·
I answered also by email. Replying both ways so no more confusion. Ok so the documentation I have is the total pump breakdown, breakdown of its attachment, all tools involved and part numbers to reorder any broken or lost parts. I should have it over to you by late tonight. Thanks for the VIN.
Kayrunner

#26 · (Edited)
OK, lets put this thing to bed.
First of all, I want to thank everyone that replied to my post. I learned something from each of you.
I never did get the bracket holding the pump and reservoir off. I did discover a 6mm Allen that looked like it may have held the bracket on from the back and gotten from under the car. I didn't have the right mixture of sockets and swivels to get it off so I said screw it and went to plan C. Trying to follow the Pelican Parts procedure, I realized that 4 bolts held the top of the pump unit on the base. My leak was coming from the main seal so, I just unbolted the top of the pump, carefully removed it and rebuilt the top half of the pump. I put the whole thing back together and so far, it's not leaking. I really wanted to change that 3 inch piece of hose under the reservoir but, I only had so much patience and had to give this technique a shot.

Thank you all for your help.
Phil

#27 ·
Hi Kayrunner, I'm Keith. I was reading a post of yours regarding the dual pump from a while ago. I am about to remove mine as it has failed, no oil being pumped at all. I have a 1991 500SL, Vin WDB1290662F046617. I was reading that you have a 77 page pdf with diagrams of the pump, I wonder if I could trouble you and ask for a copy please. Regards...Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.