Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   R129 SL-Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/)
-   -   1992 500SL Power Steering Replacement Procedure Needed (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/2363521-1992-500sl-power-steering-replacement-procedure.html)

Phil DeSimone 05-20-2015 12:30 PM

1992 500SL Power Steering Replacement Procedure Needed

Can anyone point me to directions or preferably a video on how to remove the fluid container (reservoir) and steering pump box for a 1992 500SL ?
I've found YouTube videos on other model Mercedes which don't help me.
I can't see where you unbolt the reservoir to get to the pump.
I even purchased the STAR Service Manual Library Model 129 which I can't seem to load on any of my computers.
I want to try to rebuild my leaking pump or buy a new one.
Any DIY help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Phil

rumb 05-21-2015 01:11 PM

145 Attachment(s)
This one should be close to yours.

Pelican Technical Article - Mercedes-Benz W129 / R129 - Power Steering Pump Removal

If your is anything like mine there are 2 bolts on the backside. torx bits

Phil DeSimone 05-21-2015 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumb (Post 12096945)
This one should be close to yours.

Pelican Technical Article - Mercedes-Benz W129 / R129 - Power Steering Pump Removal

If your is anything like mine there are 2 bolts on the backside. torx bits

Rumb,
Thanks for your help. That was EXACTLY what I needed.
WOW, illustrations and clear guidance. Couldn't ask for anymore than that.
I'm going to have to check out Pelican Parts for more Technical Articles.
I wonder if they have anything on rebuilding that pump.
I sent away for the seal kit and was going to wing it but if they have anything like this article, it would be a great help.

Thanks again
Phil

kayrunner 05-23-2015 09:55 PM

If you need any other assistance, I have the dealer oem repair manuals that cover
everything. Just an FYI. Have a great holiday weekend!
Kayrunner

Phil DeSimone 06-03-2015 08:12 AM

Kayrunner,
Thanks for the response.
Do you have any procedural documentation written or video that shows how to rebuild the Vicker's type Power Steering pump on a 1990 through 1992 500SL ?
I've found older or newer but not exactly that pump.

Thanks in advance.
Phil

Phil DeSimone 06-04-2015 03:32 PM

Rumb,
When you say there are 2 bolts torx bits on the backside where are you talking about.
the reason I ask is I followed the Pelican Parts procedure. I have everything off but I still can't get the pump loose.
I've tried to get something behind it to break it free but it seems like there's something else holding it on.
I really want to smack it with a pry bar and a hammer but thought I'd ask you about those 2 bolts first.
So, can you zero me n on the location of the torx bolts and what size they are.
Thanks in advance.
Phil

boydm 06-04-2015 04:31 PM

Phil,

There is a very good thread on the removal and replacement of the power steering pump - https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...-overhaul.html - suggest you check it out. I followed those instructions and had no problem at all with the job. I do have the necessary tools (didn't use air tools with all of the aluminum involved) it is not a bad job.

Add a quart of MB PS fluid, blue Loctite and some rags and you've got what you need.

Good luck..

IndeedSteve 06-04-2015 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Power steering pump removed
There are two bolts that you have to get from rear/ under car

IndeedSteve 06-04-2015 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And

Phil DeSimone 06-04-2015 05:39 PM

I guess the problem is that I can't get the bracket that holds the pump and the reservoir off to get to the those bolts.