Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2014
Vehicle: 2001 SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Seat Removal Nightmare!!

I have to remove the seat to make a repair and some moron that has worked on the car before I purchased it stripped the threads that hold this bolt in and all it does is spins and spins and I cannot get it to come out.

This is the last bolt also......eff my luck!!

I've tried wedging some behind it to help outwards force but it just won't come out.

Not sure what I'm going to do as the seat has to come out.

Thinking of using my dremel to grind off the head of the bolt but I bet it's harded steel and then theres the issue of getting the carpet hot around it.

FFS I'm really frustrated!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 12:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMikeT View Post
...Thinking of using my dremel to grind off the head of the bolt but I bet it's harded steel and then theres the issue of getting the carpet hot around it...
I haven't encountered a bolt that my dremel can't cut. I even used dremel to cut suspension coil springs which I think are hardened steel. As for the heat and sparks, place a wet rug over the carpet to cover the surrounding grinding area.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Ok I managed to get that bolt off with my dremel but now there is one more holding the side rail on the door side and there's absolutely no way to get to it.

I don't understand how the hell you can remove it, I can barely see it and there's a huge aluminum housing in the way.

I've taken a lot of seats out in my time but have never encountered anything like this Mercedes.

I'm at a loss of what to do, I've searched everywhere and cannot find any information on how to completely remove the seat from the car.

Grrrrrr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
How the heck are you suppose to get to this torx bolt to remove it?

I can't even get a torx driver or socket onto it because of the angle and how it is underneath the aluminum seat housing and right against the side rail.

This is the only thing holding the seat on now. I don't even understand how this could be assemble unless you have to entirely disassemble the entire seating structure to get to it.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated it.

This was supposed to be a 30 minute fix and has now ruined my whole day.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Well I finally got it out, it was the initial bolt that would not come out that caused all my headaches.

In order to get that bolt out I had to wedge up the bracket a little which was just enough to not let the seat move forward and up.

Once I figured that out I got some channel locks and bent the bracket back as far to its original shape as possible and this allowed me to move the seat forward and all the up to get enough clearance to reach the side rail bolt.

Boy this was an all day event and I just ended with the seat removal, the repair will get done tomorrow hopefully.
Whitey047 likes this.

Last edited by DJMikeT; 11-09-2014 at 06:33 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 06:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
I'm having an ice cold one right now,suggest you do the same, hate some of those bolts. good job man!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowesguy View Post
I'm having an ice cold one right now,suggest you do the same, hate some of those bolts. good job man!
Ya I finally called it a day yesterday after many curse words and a ton of frustration.

Here's the culprit to all my problems, the U Nut clip failed to hold the nut in place so as I tried to remove the bolt the nut inside the clip just spun and spun around.

I had to grind the head off the bolt which was a major PITA!!!

I don't think I'm going to put another U Nut clip back in but instead put some epoxy on a flange nut and get it lined up centered in the hole. There's enough room to get my finger inside the metal hole where the seat bracket mounts to the center console area.

Once the 5 minute epoxy is set then I'll reinforce it with some steel epoxy putty and it sould be solid forever once that stuff sets up.

I've come to find out since buying and working on this Mercedes that there are many cheap design flaws with the car. You would think on a $100k new vehicle such as the SL500 that everything would be top notch but that's not the case it appears. I'm sure it goes with every other car producer as well.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
not sure what grade bolts MB used on the seats, but they function NOT, repeat NOT like regular seats in a car. Notice that the seat belt is attached to the seat frame, NOT the floor frame!! MB did that on purpose to not have a kludgy seat restraint system. BUT that means the seat MUST take ALL the forces of the seat belt in a collision, unlike most cars where it doesn't take much at all. That is one reason why the seat frame and attachment is so stout. Notice that the seat frame and part of the attachment are magnesium and other metal castings/forgings rather than stamped sheet metal. And one reasy why the seats are pretty heavy. And probably why they made it so easy (2 bolts) to remove any of the seat cushions for access to the seat mechanism or frame for repairs. Made it unlikely to need to remove the seat frame.

Personally I'd make sure I used original quality replacement bolts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-420 View Post
not sure what grade bolts MB used on the seats, but they function NOT, repeat NOT like regular seats in a car. Notice that the seat belt is attached to the seat frame, NOT the floor frame!! MB did that on purpose to not have a kludgy seat restraint system. BUT that means the seat MUST take ALL the forces of the seat belt in a collision, unlike most cars where it doesn't take much at all. That is one reason why the seat frame and attachment is so stout. Notice that the seat frame and part of the attachment are magnesium and other metal castings/forgings rather than stamped sheet metal. And one reasy why the seats are pretty heavy. And probably why they made it so easy (2 bolts) to remove any of the seat cushions for access to the seat mechanism or frame for repairs. Made it unlikely to need to remove the seat frame.

Personally I'd make sure I used original quality replacement bolts.
I understand how the seats work and how they are attached to the car, the problem is with the front bolt where it attaches to the center console bottom.

Mercedes decided to use a cheap ass U Nut clip fastener instead of having a nut welded to the chassis and that's why I have so much trouble trying to remove the seat because I couldn't get the bolt out do to the clip failing that holds the backing nut. Therefore upon trying to remove the nut just slipped inside the clip and I couldn't remove it.

I'm ordering another bolt from the dealer but I'm not putting that cheapass clip fastener back in.

Instead I'm going to use a nut rivet or nutsert as sometimes called which Mercedes should have done in the first place. It will much stronger than the clip.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:19 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1997 SL500 - VIN WDBFA67F8VF151031 and 2011 E350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I found this 5-year old post looking for hints to solve my own current problem. I have a 97 SL500 that is now in limp home mode and need to remove the left seat to resolve a wiring problem that may be preventing me from getting a useful STAR diagnosis. I need to pull the driver side carpet up to check the integrity of one or more wires that I stupidly damaged by drilling a 1/4-inch hole through the carpet in an effort to anchor my floor mat to keep it from sliding forward and jamming under the accelerator.

I have read that for some SL500s in this vintage you need to remove two or three torx bolts on each side rail and then simply lift the seat out of the car. My inboard rail is now completely free, but there is an outboard bolt that I cannot access, although I have hand cranked the seat fore and aft as far as it can go and cannot find any point at which this bolt is accessible by any torx tool that I am aware of (that amounts to about 1800 70-degree cranks of the motor shaft for each fore-aft excursion. The endeavor takes more than an hour.). The pic in Post #4 of this thread illustrates my predicament very well. Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in