post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Moving On

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Y2K SL500 Silver
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The differences between OE, OEM, and OES parts

The differences between OE, OEM, and OES parts.

OE: Original Equipment: This part is either made by the car manufacture or is made by an automotive part supplier and is branded with the car manufactures logo and/or in the car manufactures box.

OEM Original Equipment Manufacture

OES Original Equipment Supplier

Car manufacturers do not make all their parts that they put on their vehicles during assembly or repair, they contract out to auto part manufactures to make parts for them. For the most part the car manufacturer makes the body, frame and major engine components the rest they 'farm out' to OEM/OES manufacturers. The car manufacturer provides the specifications to the OEM/OES manufactures for the parts they need. The OEM/OES manufactures the part to these specs, adds a logo and ships it to the car manufacture.

Bosch, Bilstien, Boge, Beru, Mann, ATE, to name a few, are all OEM or OES suppliers to the car manufacturers. They make parts from spark plugs to exhaust parts. The difference between OE and OEM/OES is mainly the OEM/OES usually don't have the car manufactures logo, but they are the same exact part. Sometimes the logo is ground off the part by the OEM/OES company so as not to affect there contract with the car manufacture. Same part coming off the same assembly line as the OE part does.

The OEM/OES parts are less expensive because they do not go through the car manufactures part system. Every time an OE part goes through a depot, warehouse, dealer, there is a little more money added to the cost of the part. This is the major reason that OE parts cost more. OEM/OES do not go through this procedure, our buyers get them directly from the manufactures, keeping the prices down.

Aftermarket: aftermarket parts are just that, aftermarket. They are not made by the car manufacturers. They can be made by one of the original equipment manufacturer companies or by a completely different manufacturer. The main difference is they are not made completely to the car manufacture specifications. This is not always bad. One example is Bilstien. They are an OEM/OES supplier, but they offer aftermarket parts also. There HD struts/shocks are original equipment, but their Sport struts/shocks and suspension kits are not made to OE specifications, better but not OE, so it's now an aftermarket part. Another example is the Stewart EMP BMW water pumps. Stewart EMP is NOT an OEM/OES manufacturer but the pump they make is better and stronger than OE. It is an aftermarket part but a better part altogether.

But still another example of an aftermarket BAD part is a counterfeit part. Counterfeit part manufacturers use backward engineering to get the specifications of the part without paying the car manufacturer. And almost all the time these parts are made with very low quality components. Sometimes these parts are very hard to identify because a lot of emphasis is put on the look and feel of the part and not what it is made from. One way to identify an counterfeit part is its unbelievable low price, the old adage you get what you pay for fits here. The best way to avoid these cheap low quality parts is to purchase your parts from a reliable source, one that offers a warranty and return policy.

Almost all Performance parts are aftermarket parts, again be careful with these parts also. Buy from a reputable supplier or/or manufacturer.

Mark Herbert is the owner of GermanPartsOnline.com, an online parts supplier for German Automobiles. GermanPartsOnline.com is also a great resource for technical articles written by German Car Technicians

Mark Herbert
Haus Of Parts LLC.
3340 N 1st ave
Tucson AZ 85719
520-572-1083
Fax 520-407-6216
[email protected]
OEM German Parts and Accessories Online

Last edited by lynns; 05-11-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 06:44 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: '93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to mountie55
Good reading.....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:51 PM
aam
Greek God of the R129

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: SL500-500SEL-190E
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Some things to ponder.

I wonder what the OE manufacturers do with their seconds.
If you were them would you destroy, or grind the star off. Ha ha?

Regards,
aam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 03:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aam View Post
Some things to ponder.

I wonder what the OE manufacturers do with their seconds.
If you were them would you destroy, or grind the star off. Ha ha?

Regards,
aam.
IMO the OE mfg would be as concerned and perhaps more concerned that the parts with THEIR name on them were not seconds. Now if it's a bosch part with the ID ground off in an acme box... well, you might need to be worried.

Alan
If it doesn't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyhow.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Moving On

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Y2K SL500 Silver
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abiby View Post
IMO the OE mfg would be as concerned and perhaps more concerned that the parts with THEIR name on them were not seconds. Now if it's a bosch part with the ID ground off in an acme box... well, you might need to be worried.
I'm so glad that you guys brought this up! Chris (Chriswufgator) is going to love this one because it sounds so much like some history he has had with parts.com.

This week I decided to give RMeuropean.com, Englewood, CO, Andy Wall, 866-597-2673 an opportunity to provide me with some parts instead of using autohausaz.com by placing the BOSCH p/n 0008307284 in there Part Number Finder it brought back RM European Auto Parts - Heater Control Valve. So I ordered it and some misc. small parts and a Corteco tranny mount which came in a Corteco box but the Heater Control Valve (mono solenoid valve) came in a zip lock plastic bag with the name CoolXpert written all over the front of the bag (See the picture below). CoolXpert located in Geesthacht, Germany must be owned by bbr automotive Company.

So I looked all over the part for a BOSCH p/n and couldn't find one but on one side of the plastic bottom portion of the part I found a residue of glue that looked like it may have had a MB p/n 1147412037 aluminum strip removed.

After doing some additional research from the delivery label on the box I found out that Rocky Mountain European uses a parts provider that is located in Carson, CA at 800-203-9287 which is closer to my home. I spoke to one of the warehouse men and he told me that ALL of his so called p/n 0008307284 were labeled CoolXpert so I called BOSCH at 888-716-3616,1 and asked them if they had ever heard of CoolXpert and the fellow told me NO but that he didn't know of all the BOSCH partners.

The only other give away was the name Sitronic in Gartringen, Germany embossed on the top of the metal portion of the Heater Valve which probably contains the solenoid.

IMO it was probably the correct part but it did not come in a yellow BOSCH box like it should have and would have from autohausaz.com with p/n 1147412037 so I returned it to RMeuropean.com.

FWIW partsgeek.com uses a p/n W0133-1612333 and charges $144.94 for which I paid $105.03 for a BOSCH part # 1147412037.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	374882  

Last edited by lynns; 05-12-2011 at 09:56 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 05:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Excellent information Lynn!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to chriswufgator
Well at least Parts.com send me broken OEM parts in a smashed box, not broken knockoff parts! LOL

"Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire." (I came, I saw, I want to go home.)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: '96 SL500, Triple Black
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Whew! Yes, you did luck out on that one Chris.

Interesting reading Lynn. It is hard to keep up with this. What did RMEuro say about it not being OE... oh wait, OEM, Gaaa now I have to go read your article again?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 02:54 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1986 560SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns View Post
The differences between OE, OEM, and OES parts.

<snip> . . .

Almost all Performance parts are aftermarket parts, again be careful with these parts also. Buy from a reputable supplier or/or manufacturer.

Mark Herbert is the owner of GermanPartsOnline.com, an online parts supplier for German Automobiles. GermanPartsOnline.com is also a great resource for technical articles written by German Car Technicians

Mark Herbert
Haus Of Parts LLC.
3340 N 1st ave
Tucson AZ 85719
520-572-1083
Fax 520-407-6216
[email protected]
OEM German Parts and Accessories Online
The info is good to know. I am looking for OE fog light brackets for my '86 560sl and came across this article.

FYI - Haus Of Parts LLC has changed to European Auto Tech at the same location. I guess the owners decided to change their business model and germanpartsonline.com is no longer functional.

Back to my search!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: 1976 450SL: 1955 190SL: 1979 500SLC: 1995 SL500: 2004 Range Rover; 2007 S550; 2009 F250; 1995 E320 C
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Premium Member
Funny I just posted about a CKP that has the numbers removed, and isn't working.... how in the world do I even know if it is the right part, let alone some inferior part with some grindings in the right place. we outsourced a job to an indi because of our load and focus on bodywork... its been a nightmare. the scope says its the CKP, the meter says its the CKP and the scanner says CKP.... the indi is saying he doubts it. This is why we buy OEM all the time these games cost time and profit. very frustrating

1955 190SL
1976 450SL
1979 500SLC Rally
1995 SL500
2007 S550
2004 Range Rover HSE
1995 E320 Cabriolet
2009 F250SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in