Seat adjustment - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Seat adjustment

Think I need help again I stripped the door panel down to lubricate the drivers side window. I have reinstalled everything but the seat control buttons now seem to have a mind of their own and don't always go in the direction pressed. I was sat in the drivers seat and pressed the button for more legroom and finished up trapped against the steering wheel chin against the window I thought I was never going to get out My Daughter was of no help she was just rolling around the garage floor in a fit of hysterical laughter shouting SELL IT and get a Hyundi Luckily the button had a change of mind and the seat went in the right direction.

Should I have done something to re-set the control buttons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 01:57 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 1991 300 sl original condition,light blue metalic, grey leather.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi poundy,yep these seats do seem to have a mind of there own,i cannot solve my problem nothing seems to be constant,everytime the symptoms are different,the only thing common is the power supply,i need to know where the relays are so that i can eliminate them,thinking of changing the seats for "orange boxes",not so complicated...good luck.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: '96 SL500, Triple Black
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Poundy, lol I am still laughing. I can't help you with your problem but your story was hilarious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 05:51 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: "NEW OWNER" of a 1991 SL 500 weekend toy. Hope I don't go broke maintaining it!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundy View Post
Think I need help again I stripped the door panel down to lubricate the drivers side window. I have reinstalled everything but the seat control buttons now seem to have a mind of their own and don't always go in the direction pressed. I was sat in the drivers seat and pressed the button for more legroom and finished up trapped against the steering wheel chin against the window I thought I was never going to get out My Daughter was of no help she was just rolling around the garage floor in a fit of hysterical laughter shouting SELL IT and get a Hyundi Luckily the button had a change of mind and the seat went in the right direction.

Should I have done something to re-set the control buttons.
Too bad your daughter did not have a video camera. That would have been great on youtube

Confident enough to be dangerous
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: 2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
cant decide if I should be looking at the switches or the controller underneath. Read an article where a lady was driving in the fast lane and the seat started moving forward on it's own. She managed to park it on the centre reservation before it locked her up. How scarey would that be
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 01:39 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 1991 300 sl original condition,light blue metalic, grey leather.
electric seats fault.

Hi Poundy,i have similar problems with my seats,i have tried everything,the only thing i hav,nt tried yet is changing the four capacitors in the control boxes, i,ve got a gut feeling this is where my problems lie,i,m ordering some from the uk,will post and let you know how i get on,wont be for a few weeks though.never did find out where the relays were.......
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Tugboating we have solved my problem. My daughters guy is a lift tec and sorted it for me. We found if we put pressure on the 6 pin plug behind the door panel switches it would perform properly. There is a bit of a void where the wires go in and they have a tendency to let the female pins lift in the socket. He lifted the cap off the 6 pin plug re soldered the wires because they looked a bit dry, squeezed the sockets slightly so that they were a better fit and put a thin plastic spacer between the fold over top and the female pins to take up the slack in the 6 pin female plug.
It now works perfectly, I thought I would be up for at least a door pad or a underseat controller.

SORTED FOR FREE hope this helps.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well an update to my story
You may recall we resoldered the 6 pins in the plug that goes in the seat (pictured) adjuster door switch and solved all the movement problems

About 3yrs later the guy who did my fender bender finished up trapped in the same position as me in post 1
When I collected the car I had to remove the switch and squeeze and mess with it so I could make enough room to get in and drive home. I then pulled the plug as this is not something you want going wrong while driving, it seems any memory or switch movement sends it further and further forward.

I have learned a bit more since then, and my soldering knowledge is better thanks to e-420

So what I found, is a similar problem with the same result. I found the 6 pins in the back of the switch get stressed probably from pulling the tight fitting plug a few times when removing the door panel is necessary.

If you look closely at the solder joints, you may be able to see the cracks around several of the centre pin areas, causing the malfunctions.

I heated the solder up to a nice shiny liquid and all is back working correctly again. It is now safe to get back into the driving seat
TIP: if you do this once the 2 pieces are lose keep them in the upright position when taking the top of so you don't lose any little pins inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3375.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	800905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3734.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	800913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3735.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	800921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3736.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	800929  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life begins at 240 kph!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Poundy; 03-15-2014 at 07:00 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: '90 300SL | '13 CLS550 | '10 ML350 BlueTec | '08 E350
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundy View Post
Well an update to my story
You may recall we resoldered the 6 pins in the plug that goes in the seat (pictured) adjuster door switch and solved all the movement problems

About 3yrs later the guy who did my fender bender finished up trapped in the same position as me in post 1
When I collected the car I had to remove the switch and squeeze and mess with it so I could make enough room to get in and drive home. I then pulled the plug as this is not something you want going wrong while driving, it seems any memory or switch movement sends it further and further forward.

I have learned a bit more since then, and my soldering knowledge is better thanks to e-420

So what I found, is a similar problem with the same result. I found the 6 pins in the back of the switch get stressed probably from pulling the tight fitting plug a few times when removing the door panel is necessary.

If you look closely at the solder joints, you may be able to see the cracks around several of the centre pin areas, causing the malfunctions.

I heated the solder up to a nice shiny liquid and all is back working correctly again. It is now safe to get back into the driving seat
TIP: if you do this once the 2 pieces are lose keep them in the upright position when taking the top of so you don't lose any little pins inside.
After Poundy referred me to this page and his procedure I pulled the driver's seat adjuster off today on my '90 Roadster and don't have any of the same cold solder appearances.

I've put two close-up's of the solder joints (one w/ flash the other w/o) to illustrate my conclusion. Does anyone see bad connections in these pictures? Maybe somewhere else on the pcb or in the wiring harness??

I'll go ahead and re-flow the solder on these six pins and hope this solves my forward-only seat movement. Since it was a very rare occurrence (once/yr?) I may not know for a long time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0692.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	839898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0693.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	839906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0692 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	839914  

_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_

'90 300SL-24 | '13 CLS550 | '10 ML350 Bluetec | '08 E350
Previous: '06 CLS500 | '07 ML350 | '89 560SEC | '85 300E
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Having spent 40 years in the electronics industry. Resolder. Many of the pins look like marginal or bad joints. Cant tell for sure without better pictures but they are not joints that would pass our inspections
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in