post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:17 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2017
Vehicle: 99 SL500, 88 560SL, 97 S500, 87 BMW 635 CSi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Cluster Removal Method

I decided on the cluster removal method and had great success. Although, on the first try I did end up with the squeaky steering wheel issued mentioned previously. Be careful when removing the cluster, it's easy for your tool to slip and snag the front plastic covering and crack it.
Also, when you disconnect the battery to remove the airbag, remember to leave it disconnected until all the components are back together or you will end up with the SRS light being on. Additionally, my soft top would only raise to half way. So a window reset was necessary as well. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 01:16 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 1987 560SL, 1998 SL500
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Just finished this project thanks to his fine thread. I would like to add some details from my experience. My problem, besides the obvious not cancelling, was the sleeve clamped by the hidden screw had managed to jam the little plastic thing that the turn signal lever kicks out. Even after drilling the hole (doesn't bother me a bit) and tightening the screw, still no joy. Upon closer examination I could see that the sleeve was binding. Pull up the plastic shroud a bit and the plastic thing was free to move in and out. Followed the rest of the reassembly instructions, and all's well. Thanks guys.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Vehicle: 2001 SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Premium Member
Thank you everyone, used the info in this thread to fix my squeak that turned into non cancelling turn signals. Took the easy way out and drilled a hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:39 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2019
Vehicle: '85 380SL, '99 SL500, '18 C300, '78 911SC, '91 Alfa Spider
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMikeT View Post
OK, so I figured out the problem and I'm going to post some pictures so maybe in the future it will help someone else out.

So here in Picture one this is initially how I set the bracket, now it seemed logical to me that the turn signal tab that extended out when in use should be in between the two tabs as shown in the picture below.

It seems that by placing it in this position moves the bracket out to far and hence the squeaking.

So I moved the bracket back a little further to the following position and the squeaking is going and my turn signal functions properly.

Also I put some locktite on the phillips screw to hopefully keep this issue from reoccurring.

Also here's a picture of the screw holding on the plastic and leather collar which is located behind the instrument cluster and a picture of everything removed to give total access to the bracket and the screw.

I hope this information helps other people in the future having the same issue.
THANK YOU DJMikeT! This was a saviour, I couldnít for the life of me figure out how to put it back together without the squeaking (and I will not admit to how many times I tried). Now everything is back together and it feels like a brand new car again. When I first opened everything up, not only was the sleeve loose but also the bolts holding in the turn signal and cruise control. Thanks to everyone else for the guides, glad I had the instrument cluster tools so that I didnít have to drill any holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in