Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Y2K SL500 Silver
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1994 windscreen wiper problem may be due to fuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngseal View Post
My 1994 SL280 R129 wipers have slowly ground to a hault in the last month. The indicator switch initially stopped working on the intermittant wiper position, then on the low wiper setting, leaving me with only the fast wiper in operation. Now it has stopped altogether and the wipers arent working at all. I have a feeling that it is the switch OR the relay system.
Welcome to the R129 forum!
I know that your problem has already been discussed and resolved on this forum. You will need to do an 'Advanced Search' on this site for the answer.

Last edited by lynns; 06-07-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
'Seal, I did an advanced search myself and found lots of info. One idea I found was to clean the wiper relay contacts. But if you can measure voltages, I have what I think is a better idea. Check the input and output signals to the wiper relay. The relay location, the schematic and the signals you should measure are shown in the attachments. I have all parts available for sale in used condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiper Schematic2.JPG
Views:	5717
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	242738   Click image for larger version

Name:	K26.JPG
Views:	7706
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	242739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiper Schematic.JPG
Views:	2795
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	242740  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 06:05 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Neither the switch or the relay is cheap! I would go with a new relay first, however. It is easier to change. The switch can only be changed by removing the steering wheel. It is located in the back of the fuse box. It is P/N 129 820 10 26. It is referred to as the N10/2 relay. It is the long one in the middle, front of the relay box.

There is also a K26 module in the computer compartment on the passenger side behind the firewall. Take off the cover. It should be the small unit furthest inboard.. Probably not cheat either.

Mike

I don't downshift often, but when I do, it is next to a Prius so I can show them how I am hurting the environment! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'07 CLS 550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Cleaning the contacts of the old relay may make it unnecessary to replace it. I surely would not replace any parts without troubleshooting first to accurately identify the problem.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes Benz R129 SL 280 Convertable Auto Petrol, 1995 Mercedes Benz E200 Estate Auto Petrol
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Youngseal Send a message via Skype™ to Youngseal
My faith in Benzworld has been restored, when I initially joined this newbie didnt get many responses, Lynns I thank you for your welcome and I will have to get to grips with the advanced search. The differing terminology usage between the States and Europe can lead to confusing searches of an occasion.
R.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 10:28 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes Benz R129 SL 280 Convertable Auto Petrol, 1995 Mercedes Benz E200 Estate Auto Petrol
Bobterry99 and RoadKing many thanks for the responses and the useful resources Bobterry99.

Next weekend I will tackle the relay contacts cleaning first, if that doesnt work I will put the meter accross them and see if it is my worst fear or not...A switch and indicator arm literally costs an arm and a leg to replace, in the region of $600 or so from the main dealer here in Ireland. I havnt checked the cost of a relay as of yet. My hope however is that it might be the relay contacts.

The car was lying up for roughly a half year before I bought it. It is my job to give it the tender loving care to nurse it back to its origional state.

Another clue as to the problem occuring in the relays is that there is an intermittant fault with the (RHS) drivers window (we drive on the left ya know). The motor worked fine when bridged so my asumption was that it was the switch or the relay. Yesterday however I noticed that there is a voltage protection module which might be the reason that the fault righted itself when the car had been left alone for a while...this intermittant window fault has occured five times now however with no significant pattern emerging. One would begin to think that your car had a possessed soul when it seems to self correct itself. I have formed this opinion since the seat controls began to work once more following their removal and replacement while checking the window winder motor!!! Previously they would only move in the forward motion and had to be bridged by an external power source to be reversed....go figure....would ye subscribe to the possessed soul theory or the mouldy contacts fault finding mission I seem to have to embark on???

(P.S. To explain how committed to this project I am...I turned down the offer of a free 2001 LEXUS LS430 (150k mls on the clock but a pure dream and pleasure to drive) only last week so as not to be diverted from a long term goal of cruising a mint SL280)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:07 AM
BenzWorld Member

Thank you once again Lynns for the repost, as I said you have restored my faith in Benzworld. In October when I joined Benzworld I posted in the New Members section twice and didnt get a great response but since I joined this forum your direction has been noted, the ethics will improve with use I hope, and I am begining to understand that brevity will get a better response,
Thanks again.
R.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:46 PM
BenzWorld Member

N10/2 Vs. K26 Relays

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobterry99 View Post
'Seal, I did an advanced search myself and found lots of info. One idea I found was to clean the wiper relay contacts. But if you can measure voltages, I have what I think is a better idea. Check the input and output signals to the wiper relay. The relay location, the schematic and the signals you should measure are shown in the attachments. I have all parts available for sale in used condition.
Here is where I am at at this stage, I am at odds to find the K26 relay in my R129 1994 SL280. The USA version diagrams (Many thanks Bobterry99) seem different to the layout of my European model (might be the fact that it is an SL280 or a right hand drive version) There are still some issues with the wiper control that have me perplexed. The N10/2 remove and restore job improved function (indicators worked, wipers worked, high beams worked) but I still have the problem with the intermittant and the position 2 wiper setting every now and then.

I am having difficulty removing the longer of the two relays under the fuse box cover at the back (the one beside the N10/2) I am hoping that cleaning these contacts, if I can find out how to remove it, might fix the problem...fingers crossed.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Moving On

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Y2K SL500 Silver
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Do you have a 'R129 M-B STAR Service manual on DVD? Every DIYer needs one as a resource.

If not, please see

Mercedes International R129 Service Manual DVD in English and German for 129€
Go to Onlineshop Mercedes-Benz Classic Collection Modellautos Technische Literatur
on the left side click on English>Browse>'R129 DVD'
https://ssl.kundenserver.de/s9796590...query=r129+dvd and/or https://ssl.kundenserver.de/s9796590...86516562176=29 and order p/n 6516562196 .
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 06:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Thumbs up A simple proceedure that might save expense and time

I have finally had a Eurika moment this evening on my wiper/washer/indicator/high beam flash Relay issue. I once again had the wiper problem on a journey this last weekend that left me with NO wipers, washers, high beam flash and of an occasion no indicators either... I took the N10/2 relay out and apart once more an renewed the soldering in paricular on all of the train track connector positions / pin to board positions and replaced the part...all to no avail.

(There is no K26 relay that I can find on the SL280 R129 1994!!!)

What did work, and I had checked the fuses before, was to get a screwdriver (engine on, wiper in position one on the stalk) and tap the top of each fuse followed by each holder top and back to the fuse once more (several times on each fuse all the way down the block) in a downward fashion. At fuse 8 the wipers started to work once more, I continued all the way down through all the fuses with this motion and when I sat back into the car...heh presto...all functions work as they should once more. No N10/2 purchase required thankfully because it is a mother of a price to purchase.

I am not saying that this will fix all issues with the relay but I seem to be lucky and it might help someone with a similar problem. Time to tap the fuses was about 2 mins and it is worth trying before you spend the 2 mins unscrewing the relay compartment.

Many thanks to all who helped me with this issue
duh_vinci likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in