LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Date registered: Dec 1998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post R129 Low Dust Ceramic Brake Pad & Rotor Recommendations

1. I own a 1995 SL500. <br><br>
2. After driving for a short time, brake powder dust soils the rims and the side of the car. Daily cleaning is necessary to keep the rims clean.<br><br>
3. The Mercedes dealer says that the only solution is to use after-market brake pads, which are certain to squeel.<br><br>
4. I've seen 1995 models and newer that don't have the same problem, but the Mercedes dealer can't explain that inconvenient fact.<br><br>
5. I've heard that there's a type of screen that can be installed in the wheel to prevent the brake powder dust from getting onto the rims and body, but the Mercedes dealer doesn't recommend them for some inexplicable reason. <br><br>
<br><br>
Does anyone know what the problem could possibly be? <br><br>
<br><br>
Is this normal on 1995 models or any other models? <br><br>
<br><br>
Does anyone have a solution? <br><br>
<br><br>
Thanks,<br><br>
<br><br>
TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Get Porterfield brake pads...more

Have them on my E class and had them on for about 4k miles now. Brake dust is almost non-existent and it does not squeal. Try them and see for yourself.<br> <br> The brake covers, don't do it. Their isn't enough cooling with those covers on. Too much heat can warp your rotors.
post #3 of 382 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Re: SL500 Brake Powder Dust Problem

Dear Sir/Madam,<br> <br> Well, I own a 500SL just like you and it does have alot of powder dust on the rims. There is no solution to it unless you purchase a third party parts to solve this problem which is also not recomended by the Benz dealer here too.<br> <br> Secondly, I do not experience any squeeling when I brake at all. Unless, I go too fast and brake all the sudden where my tires screech. Have you tried cleanning the brakes and disc? It should work. Cause my C200 had the problem before or change the brake pads. I hope the squeeeling just like a whistle. That is the one which I meant.<br> <br> But my steering will shake when I brake during high speed though. This is due to the warp in the disc brakes. I have to send it for sanding or buy new ones.<br> <br> regards,.. Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 10:53 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: 1991 500SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Re: SL500 Brake Powder Dust Problem

Quote:
Dear Sir/Madam,<br> <br> Well, I own a 500SL just like you and it does have alot of powder dust on the rims. There is no solution to it unless you purchase a third party parts to solve this problem which is also not recomended by the Benz dealer here too.<br> <br> Secondly, I do not experience any squeeling when I brake at all. Unless, I go too fast and brake all the sudden where my tires screech. Have you tried cleanning the brakes and disc? It should work. Cause my C200 had the problem before or change the brake pads. I hope the squeeeling just like a whistle. That is the one which I meant.<br> <br> But my steering will shake when I brake during high speed though. This is due to the warp in the disc brakes. I have to send it for sanding or buy new ones.<br> <br> regards,.. Steven
I'm not sure what kind of MB you have, but if your tires are screeching when you brake hard, your ABS aint working! As for the brake pad covers, there are new ones available that do not cause overheating, alternatively you can purchase rotors that are vented to help with cooling. Dust accumulation and brake wear is a direct result of your driving habits. If you haul ass just to get to the next stop sign, your wear will be greater than if you just take your time and drive like a human - do you live in Italy? perhaps that is the problem.

post #5 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 01:27 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: '05 SL65 AMG
RE: SL500 Brake Powder Dust Problem

Give these a try. http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...oModClar=&cat=

Nobody Poses with their toaster!
2005 SL65 AMG
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 CLK320 - Current project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 C280 - Wife's DD
1990 300e - Gone
1988 924s - Sold
2000 Durango (Work Horse)
1998 Durango - Sold
1993 740i - Sold
1995 325i - AA Super Charge
1996 XJ6 - Sold
1996 900s Conv - Sold
1997 SL600 - Sold

Last edited by lynns; 01-30-2012 at 10:06 PM.
post #6 of 382 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 03:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got some Porterfield pads for my 1990 500SL They have been wonderfull. Almost zero ...

I got some Porterfield pads for my 1990 500SL

They have been wonderfull. Almost zero brake dust, no noise. Kind of expensive @ $130.00 for the front set but worth it to me in time saved not cleaning wheels.

I got mine at :

http://www.formymercedes.com/porterfield3.asp

DLD
post #7 of 382 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 10:53 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2003
Vehicle: 91 300 sl red/pala
Brake Dust be GONE!!!!!!

If you have not tried the porterfield pads shame on you! I have a 91 300sl with BR5's which are beautiful wheels!! I just never was able to fully appreciate them until they were constantly clean!!

Of course me mechanic did not want to install them because they were not o.e., I told him to visit the mymercedes website. They followed the instructions(Two mechanics said pads were too hard) and installed them> I do notice they are a little hard, however the pros are that for five days i have been using them, hardly any brake dust, no noise at all thus far.

I will always go back to porterfield pads!! just the clean wheels alone is worth the $140.00

Lewis
post #8 of 382 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 01:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1990 300SL, 2004 E320
Send a message via Yahoo to hifeverz
Ceramic brake and rotor questions

OPINIONS ON: Ceramic Brake Pads

Has anyone used these on their SL?? I've read threads (from other forums) that they were the latest and greatest. "Claims of longevity, NO brake dust, NO brake fade, NO squeal, and as far as rotor wear . . . it is minimal" . . . as I've read. I believe the rotor wear would be more than with standard pads (afterall . . . somethings gotta give . . .) but would the wear equivalency be that of metallic pads? I was going to get these as my next replacement sets for my SL and my 911.

Anyone out there can vouch or negate their claims??

Thanks,
Hz.
[?][8D]
post #9 of 382 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 08:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1990 300SL, 2004 E320
Send a message via Yahoo to hifeverz
RE: Ceramic Brake Pads

Anybody with input or comments out there??

Akebono Brake Pads come in ceramic formula . . . does anyone else manufacture them?

Hz[?][?][?][?]
post #10 of 382 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 03:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
RE: Ceramic Brake Pads

No brake dust?!? Please tell me this is for real!

SL55 (R129) 5.7L AMG Kompressor engine, 85mm TB, SLR cam shafts, MAHLE forged pistons, ported heads, long tube headers, full AMG exhaust, AMG P030 Brakes, Quaife LSD
CLS55 (R219) 85mm TB, RENNtech air box, Kleemann Headers, 175mm lower & 84mm upper pulley, 550cc injectors & looped rail, EC dyno tune (528rwhp/598rwtq), and a custom IC reservoir behind my front grill to keep things cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in