post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 1995 MB 600SL, !982 G-Wagen 280GE, BMW 1150RT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1995 600SL w/ 722.3 four-speed trans fluid problem

After having the T/F topped up and driving home I got the scare of my life. Smoke coming out all over. After cooling down I checked the fluid level and it was overfilled.

I have searched and read the posts and warnings about overfilling now first however I need answers on three questions.

Can I suck fluid out through the dipstick hole with a large syringe and a flexible pipe? I don't want to drive my car back to the mechanic like this.
Where can I check for the oil coming onto the exhaust. Is there an O-ring that gets blown out or what. I stay 120Km from the service centre that caused me this problem.

The container with the leftover fluid is Shell DexronII.

Can I drive my car back to have the fluid replaced with the correct grade, what about the mixed up oil in the TC?

Please help
Rudi

Transmission fluid on exhaust

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After having the T/F topped up and driving home I got the scare of my life. Smoke coming out all over. After cooling down I checked the fluid level and it was overfilled.

I have searched and read the posts and warnings about overfilling now first however I need answers on three questions.

Can I suck fluid out through the dipstick hole with a large syringe and a flexible pipe? I don't want to drive my car back to the mechanic like this.
Where can I check for the oil coming onto the exhaust. Is there an O-ring that gets blown out or what. I stay 120Km from the service centre that caused me this problem.

The container with the leftover fluid is Shell DexronII.

Can I drive my car back to have the fluid replaced with the correct grade, what about the mixed up oil in the TC?

Please help
Rudi

PS. I am posting this request here as well because I don.t know if everybody read the ends of all the threads, please help me right in this regard as well.

I do apologise, I think I finally saw the light when I logged in again and saw the double posting, forgive me for I am stupid.
However I still need advice on my transmission fluid problem !

Please assist

Thanks

Rudi

Last edited by lynns; 01-30-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Moving On

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Y2K SL500 Silver
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
FYI, for future help the following information helps when asking questions.

1995 500SL
129.076 chassis
120.981 engine
722.3xx transmission, which is a four speed

According to the 1995 Owners Manual your trans holds 7.71 Liters or 8.1 US qts. total. See the two attached PDF's. The 1990 PDF says Dextron II and the 2001 PDF says Dextron III is suggested. It's my guess that the oil's improved during that time period.

When you check the Transmission fluid level can you see that it is above the max/min marks on the trans fluid stick?

It's my understanding that you want to read the trans level when it is at 80 degrees C.

If it is NOT above the max/min level it's my guess that the dummy who put the fluid in missed the filler pipe and some oil ran down onto your exhaust and this oil will take some time to burn itself off.

If it is above the max/min mark you will want to remove the excess oil. There are several ways. One of the most common is to release some of the trans fluid from underneath the car via the removal of the transmission pan drain bolt. Note: if you do this when the car is hot it will burn you and be very messy. I would suggest that you release the oil when the car has cooled down. Do you best to collect whatever volume you decide to release (very messy).

Now check your dip stick w/o the engine running and see where the fluid level is. Fill it up to the MIN line and no higher. Run the car around for a couple of blocks and check the fluid level. Adding small amounts of oil until it is between the max/min line. But do not overfill.

Did you see or ask the mechanic to remove the Torque Converter bolt and drain the TC?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2001MBFactoryApprovedServiceProducts.pdf (289.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: pdf 1990 Maintenance.pdf (523.7 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by lynns; 01-30-2009 at 10:01 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 1995 MB 600SL, !982 G-Wagen 280GE, BMW 1150RT
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you Lynns

I will drain off the excess oil that shows on the dipstick. It could not be more than 300ml as I was given a container with some fluid left in it and was only charged for 500ml.

I don't have access to a themometer, am I correct in saying checking at 80 degrees C is like at operating temperature and the other reading is at first startup.

This whole problem started when I noticed some red oil on my garage floor and suspected a small leak somewhere.

The mechanic was only to re-torque the transmission sump bolts (apparently two were loose) and top up the fluid.
Nothing was done to the TC, he just put some fluid down the dipstick tube.

Regards

Rudi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Moving On

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Y2K SL500 Silver
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Rudi, I really don't know that much about your 722.3 trans. I have a 722.6 5 speed that I am constantly monitoring the forums for any weaknesses that might pop up.

Please read MERCEDES TECHNICAL LIBRARY and look at the 722.3 notes.

If you do an 'Search>Advanced Search" located on the right side of the R129 forum about 1/3 down you can learn alot about your 722.3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Search.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	218370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Advanced Search.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	218371  

Last edited by lynns; 01-30-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in