Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How to remove and repair the Overhead Console.

18K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  jeebus31 
#1 ·
First thing I would like to than all of you for the help you have given me in the past. I’m really enjoying learning about all the systems on my 600 and how they work.
The problem I’m working on now is the overhead console. My courtesy lights don’t work and the mire is loose and wobbly. I think the previous owner try to fix it as I can see a screw missing and one of the lights is in the ashtray. The power mires don’t work either. Can you help me with the disassembly of the console and how everything works in the console? Thanks for the help in advance.
:bowdown:

#5 ·
Hi, my name is Ken.

I have a 1998, R129, Sport Model, Sl1 and Sl2 option packages.

I looked at and printed out the thumbnail of the overhead console. Removing the map lights and the two screws behind them was easy, but now I am stumped. I understand that in order to remove the console, you must then remove the mirror and the two screws securing it. I just don't know how to do that. There is a plastic cover that seems to be removable, but I am hesitant to try and force it. All of my plastic is in good shape, I just need to replace the dome light switch in the console.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#12 · (Edited)
Worked just like advertised. Then I realized the top had to be out of the way to proceed any further. I guess I will get that hardtop hoist on order.
I dont understand why you want to remove the top.
Three screws for the mirror bracket and one behind the each light insert.
Done.
Did you look to the drawing?
Cheers, Frank

#13 ·
The hardest part is replacing the mirror when putting it back together.
I used my hand and a knee to leverage it on without breaking the fragile case, only press the base part not the mirror.
The top doesn't have to be off for any of this.

Those consoles are like unobtanium so treat it with care. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.