post #1 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: GL350 CDI Euro 5 265 Hp
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Headrest Gears

My passenger seat head rest wont move using the button on the door.The button sounds like its working if you get what i mean but the head rest does nothing.I t is stuck at its highest point at the moment and it wont budge even with hand pressure.Any ideas how i can solve this ?.The rest of the seat works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 12:36 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 560sec
RE: Head rest wont lower

I have exactly the same problem. I had a good look at the head rest and cannot see how you can access that motor. Did you have any success?--I see that no one has had any suggestions so far. If my mechanic can come with something I will let you know.
post #3 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 02:34 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1990 500SL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
re: Headrest wont lower

Have you tried taking out the seat cushions to access the problem motor? I can't remember seeing that motor when i had the seat apart but It'll be there.
The job is an easy one and has been explained before.
1. remove bottom cushion by unscrewing the two large phillips head screws just in front of the cushion. (photo below) then pull cushion forwards to release.
2. remove upper cushion by finding the two small funny head screws at the bottom of the back of the seat. really get down behind the back of the seat to find these. and make sure you have the right screwdriver or you're wasting your time. Upper cushion then comes free easily.
3. You now have a good view of the guts of the seat. all the motors are in view as far as i can remember.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25_1598396_916200553513AM.JPG
Views:	1182
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	230259  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 04:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 560sec

Oh so the motor for the headrest is in the bottom of the seat....Seems like the problem on my car is up the top. I can hear it trying to move but the gears seem stuck - presumably from lack of use.
post #5 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 07:17 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI & 2002 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet

I have the same problem on my passenger seat. Getting to the motor is not too complicated but does require that you disassemble the bottom cushion, back cushion, and the entire seat belt cover and part of the assembly. The motor is at the top and has 2 plastic gears on the top of the motor. My gears are broken. I have to replace the motor. I have not checked on a price yet but my bigger concern is that you need to unscrew a bolt associated with seatbelt the has a red line on it. That tells me it probably has certain torque requirements that I am not familliar with. I hope this gives you a better idea. My guess is that it is probably 2 to 3 hours of work plus parts.
post #6 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 08:49 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1992 300sl auto
Headrest Gears Source for parts

Hi all. I got into my seat to fix the headrests. Basically the nylon gears above the seat belt have cracked. The gears are held on by a circlip and pop right off. Well the stealer wants $197 for the complete unit when only a $3 part is busted. Does any one know of a source for theses gears or a part#. I looked at the gears and could not see any part# on them. I have to repair both sides so $400 for two units is a bit steep!!

All help appreciated
post #7 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 10:44 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1992 300sl auto
head rest gears fixed

Hi all, well I managed to fix my stuck headrests. The problems was the two nylon gears located on the top of the seat. There are two gears for each side. One large, one slightly smaller. The larger gears had split and were spinning on the shaft. The headrests are dam near impossible to move with out being driven by the worm gear. What I did was remove the headrest transport, it is really quite easy. Search the videos of how to strip the seats . Then I took the assembly to a local gear supply, here we matched the gear sizes, I could not get the exact gears. The original gears are helical nylon, I replaced mine with straight cut mild steel. We could not match the spline pattern so I dry fitted the new gears and put a spot weld on the top of the shaft to the gear. The headrests work great now, although the metal gears are a tiny bit noisier but no biggie. this saved me over $500 in stealer prices just for parts. The whole project cost me $60 and some of my time to strip and replace seats.

Sorry no pictures as my camera was on loan

Last edited by lynns; 03-31-2009 at 09:13 AM.
post #8 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:54 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: SL600 S420
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone with a photo of the gears?
I have the whole set motors and gears off '92 500SL

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
post #9 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Moving On

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Y2K SL500 Silver
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadog View Post
How do I remove the headrests so I can install my new seat covers?

I've tried using the search function....basic and advanced...seems like most the time I get the response that the search I am doing is less than three words! I type in something like "how to remove head rests" definitely not less than three words!?
Clary, sorry your having problems but let me tell you my friend that you are attempting to undertake quite a bit of work because the seats are very complex. Are you sure you need to remove the headrest? If so, normaly I would point you to the Blue Stickies at the top of the forum that most people don't read. DARN!
So her is where I will send you:
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...ed-topics.html then

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...ml#post3194559 then

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...-function.html and simply use the word 'headrest' or 'head rest' nothing more is needed. I usually start with ONE word so as not to confuse the Search Engine. Then I might try multiple words.

PS, if your are going to work on your car you need to purchase the Mercedes STAR Classic R129 DVD or go to https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...ml#post2379407 and consider a one day's worth of 'STAR TekInfo' or one year of 'ALLDATAdiy'.
post #10 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 05:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1994 SL320 (R129), 2002 S500 (W220), 2006 S550, 2012 Ducati 848Evo Corse SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafy View Post
Hi all, well I managed to fix my stuck headrests. The problems was the two nylon gears located on the top of the seat. There are two gears for each side. One large, one slightly smaller. The larger gears had split and were spinning on the shaft. The headrests are dam near impossible to move with out being driven by the worm gear. What I did was remove the headrest transport, it is really quite easy. Search for the videos of how to strip the seats. Then I took the assembly to a local gear supply, here we matched the gear sizes, I could not get the exact gears. The original gears are helical nylon, I replaced mine with straight cut mild steel. We could not match the spline pattern so I dry fitted the new gears and put a spot weld on the top of the shaft to the gear. The headrests work great now, although the metal gears are a tiny bit noisyer but no biggie. this saved me over $500 in stealer prices just for parts. The whole project cost me $60 and some of my time to strip and replace seats.

Sorry no pictures as my camera was on loan
Hi Grafy, I started to fix the gear too but I couldn't take the unit out as the headrest was stucked. I think I need to remove the headrest before I can take out the unit for scratching out the nylon. Can you explain a little more on how to remove the head rest? The pic of the exposed parts is attached.

Thanks a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0746.jpg
Views:	1144
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	228823  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R129 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in