BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2019
Vehicle: 1988 560 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
EGR Valve Repair or Replace

Hi,

I need to repair or replace the EGR valve on my 88 560. The vacuum actuator part seems fine. It holds a vacuum and I can hear the valve shut when I release the vacuum.

When I did a smoke test, smoke came out of the area in the red circle.

A couple of questions:
1. In order to repair or replace, I need to remove it from the car. Unfortunately I can't get it free of the EGR tube. I can turn it on the tube and move it in and out a few millimeters, but it won't come off. I don't want to use too much force because the tube would be difficult to replace. Any ideas how to get it off? I've tried icing the tube and heating the body of the valve, but that didn't help. It seems the end of the tube is flared a bit.

2. Has anybody repaired one of these and is it possible? A replacement is $200.

Thanks,
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EGR.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	2534196  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 1988 560SL (California Model)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Sorry can't help with the repairs (never had to do one) but keep in mind that your engine is pretty much the same as in the 560SEL/Cs and they are more common in the salvage yards than the SL's. If one is in your area go and see if you can remove the EGR valve. I "practice" on the ones here in Vegas if I am unsure how to do something.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reno4u2 View Post
Sorry can't help with the repairs (never had to do one) but keep in mind that your engine is pretty much the same as in the 560SEL/Cs and they are more common in the salvage yards than the SL's. If one is in your area go and see if you can remove the EGR valve. I "practice" on the ones here in Vegas if I am unsure how to do something.
Thanks. I'll give that a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2017
Vehicle: 560SL 1986 244k miles astral grey / black
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
The EGR tube is attached to the engine block by two small clips secured with a M10 IIRC. One is near the heat cover of the exhaust manifold the other one at the back of the engine and the bulkhead. A real PIA to remove or install, but by removing them you might have the play to remove the valve itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermafbeelding 2019-08-13 om 22.26.28.png
Views:	4
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	2534214  

How hard can it be?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:44 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2019
Vehicle: 1986 560SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkmeyer View Post
2. Has anybody repaired one of these and is it possible?
I'm new to BenzWorld and also my 560SL, I but had an Audi V6 which occasionally needed EGR maintenance. If the problem is carbon clogging, and not seized or a cracked diaphragm, then you should be able to restore it by cleaning. I let oven cleaner spray soak the inside of the valve, which eventually softens the deposits enough to allow using a wire brush or appropriate picks to do the job, after a washing with water. Don't allow corrosive cleaners onto the diaphragm though. Don't forget to inspect both the exhaust supply pipe and connection to the intake manifold for additional deposits.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauk18 View Post
The EGR tube is attached to the engine block by two small clips secured with a M10 IIRC. One is near the heat cover of the exhaust manifold the other one at the back of the engine and the bulkhead. A real PIA to remove or install, but by removing them you might have the play to remove the valve itself.
Thanks for the suggestion. I hope to avoid removing the tube because of the difficulty in access the rear connection. I also haven't seen the tube for sale and don't want to take a chance on breaking it. I'll keep this in mind as a last resort.

Thanks,
Jay
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo510 View Post
I'm new to BenzWorld and also my 560SL, I but had an Audi V6 which occasionally needed EGR maintenance. If the problem is carbon clogging, and not seized or a cracked diaphragm, then you should be able to restore it by cleaning. I let oven cleaner spray soak the inside of the valve, which eventually softens the deposits enough to allow using a wire brush or appropriate picks to do the job, after a washing with water. Don't allow corrosive cleaners onto the diaphragm though. Don't forget to inspect both the exhaust supply pipe and connection to the intake manifold for additional deposits.
I'll give that a try once I get it off the tube. Hopefully a good cleaning will fix the issue.

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in