Oil still mixing with coolant even after replacing head gaskets - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 1979 450 SLC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil still mixing with coolant even after replacing head gaskets

Hi I have a 1979 450 SLC with 77k miles. I have oil mixing into the coolant and some coolant mixing into the oil. I have replaced both head gaskets and have had the heads machined, yet this problem persists. Any thoughts/ideas to resolve this problem would be much appreciated. This was the sequence of events:

1) Car overheated due to a blown upper radiator hose. Replaced upper and lower radiator hoses, added coolant. Car ran well for 500 miles.

2) Noticed oil in the coolant overflow tank. Flushed coolant system several times, replaced coolant. Drained oil, no coolant in oil, replaced oil. Drove for 20 miles.

3) Oil present again in the coolant overflow tank, and now some coolant mixed into the oil. Engine was not misfiring and ran on all 8 cylinders

4) Removed driver and passenger heads. Valve job to both heads, pressure tested (no cracks), surface. Cleaned intake manifold. New head and intake gaskets. Radiator was rodded, cleaned, pressure tested. Almost all hoses were replaced. Followed all the instruction meticulously from the MBZ 117 engine manual. The block was not removed from the car. No visible cracks on the cylinder walls. No signs of damage to the surface of the block. Torqued all the bolts and tested three times.

5) Car started on first try, ran very well, did not overheat. Flushed the fluids multiple times. No coolant in oil or vice versa. Drove 50 miles with no issues. Parked car for 5 days and upon return noticed oil in coolant. Flushed the coolant again, drove 10 miles, same result. Oil in coolant and coolant in oil. I have lost about 2/3 of a quart of oil into the coolant system since the last flush.

I am guessing that maybe it could be the O-rings between the timing cover and the block behind the water pump?? but would like more opinions before I start taking things apart again. Have any of you had a similar problem with your 450?

Thanks
OC450
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:02 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2015
Vehicle: 1989 W124 260E
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Garage
oc450 sorry to hear about this .Its hard enough striping it down to replace the head gaskets . And then to find out that you still have the problem . It looks like waiting to see what answers come up from other forum members .
jsebastian likes this.

This is a retro ride .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:36 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: 1983 380 SL
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Premium Member
Garage
I have no answer for you but I find it strange that oil would be in the coolant tank and coolant in the oil. I would expect it to be one or the other but not both.

You say you are loosing oil... I believe you said 2/3rds of a quart. Was there 2/3rds of a quart or oil in the overflow tank? If not... where did it go? Oil floats on water so it should eventually find it's way to the highest point.

Is it possible that you have two different issues?

Any possibility of a hose or tube being connected to the wrong place or perhaps left off?

Do any of the head bolts pierce a water jacket? Pipe joint compound?

Just thinking out loud.

Good luck.

Nobody gets out of this life alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 1967 250 S (sold) 1986 560 SEC 1987 560 SL
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Garage
After all that work, not fixed I am sorry you are having such a vexing issue.

When you wrote "surface," did you mean that the heads and block mating surfaces were machined flat?

Please let us know when a solution is found. Best wishes!

John
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle: 1985 380SL
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Premium Member
There is probably a common path somewhere between the oil and coolant (head gasket, cracked block, cracked head, warped head and/or warped block surface). When the engine is running the oil press (50 to 60 psi) can overcome the coolant pressure ~15 psi. When the car is off the residual coolant pressure overcomes the oil pressure (0 psi). Hence oil in coolant and coolant in oil.

Did you use OEM MB gaskets?
Any white smoke when the car is running?
Did you check the flatness of the block surface for with the heads removed?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 03:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2019
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I had that problem once when I failed to torque the intake manifold bolts properly
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi Jyuma - Yes, most of the oil is ending up in the coolant overflow tank. The remainder seems to be at the top of the radiator and inside the block before it makes its way to that overflow tank. All the hoses seemed to be connected properly.

That's a good point of there potentially being two separate issues instead of only one. I had assumed that there would be only location where "cross contamination" is occurring
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsebastian View Post
After all that work, not fixed I am sorry you are having such a vexing issue.

When you wrote "surface," did you mean that the heads and block mating surfaces were machined flat?

Please let us know when a solution is found. Best wishes!
Hi jsebastian - Indeed it was very jarring to see the "milkshake" of coolant and oil after having spent so much time taking things apart and reassembling.

Yes, by surface I meant that the surface of the head was machined flat. I did not remove the block from the car, so all I did was remove any residual head gasket material (very carefully), cleaned the surface of the block with acetone, and checked for straightness. There was no corrosion or low spots on the block. The head had some corrosion, but almost all of it was removed during the machining
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 2.25.32 AM.png
Views:	10
Size:	631.9 KB
ID:	2527002  
jsebastian likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:22 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Unfortunately all I can think of is the timing chain cover and a crack in the head or engine block at the point where oil comes up to lube the head. Unfortunately I cant think of any reasonable way to test without taking stuff apart.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:28 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: 1983 380 SL
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Premium Member
Garage
You did not mention overheating as being concurrent with the oil/coolant, coolant/oil cross contamination, which suggests we can rule out head gasket issues. That leaves intake manifold and timing chain cover.

I believe the water pump bolts through the timing chain cover and into the block. Given all you have already done, that is the next place I would look.

Good luck.

Nobody gets out of this life alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in