post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2019
Vehicle: 1985 380SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Timing chain

My mechanic said the timing chain jumped and bent valves and maybe even punctured pistons on my 85 380SL, Walked approx $2500.00 to repair. Other problem is its leaking from the main seal. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:30 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Vehicle: 1990 300SE
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrocker View Post
Any suggestions?
doing your own work can save you $$$

doubt there is piston damage.

every 100k miles these cars need new guides, tensioner and chain otherwise this happens.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Garage
Buy a used engine, your old one is toast now. $2500 is probably 1/2 of what it would cost to repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumb View Post
Buy a used engine, your old one is toast now. $2500 is probably 1/2 of what it would cost to repair.
swap is a good idea.

He will most likely need to do timing on the new engine anyway. I would
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: 1983 380 SL
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Premium Member
Garage
Happened to me twice with my '83 380sl before I converted to dual row chain.

There is no reason to believe your engine is toast because you bent a few valves. If there are bent valves then there should also be loose rockers. Check for yourself and see. Worst case, pull the heads and replace the bad valves if you find any. Not likely to have serious damage to pistons but not impossible. Head bolt holes are known to strip when removed... no grantee but it does happen. If so you'll need to re-thread the head with heli-coils or inserts. Search the forum for threads on stripped head bolts.

Mileage is almost irrelevant when it comes to the life of the chain guides... time is the more important factor. Remove the rocker covers and take a look at the guides... if they're dark brown your living on borrowed time. Use your own judgement... when new, chain guides are white... they discolor with age and oil. If the chain guides are 10 years or older... change them regardless.

Don't forget to replace the oil tubes.

Good luck.
Aussiemerc likes this.

Nobody gets out of this life alive.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2007 ML320CDI, 1959 220SE, 1971 280SL, 1982 380SL
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Changing to a dual row change has become quite expensive. If you can find an engine, which is in decent shape, which already has it, it will save you a whole lot in both parts and labor.

Rick
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: 1983 380 SL
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
Changing to a dual row change has become quite expensive. If you can find an engine, which is in decent shape, which already has it, it will save you a whole lot in both parts and labor.
It is not imperative to convert to dual row chain if you've got a single row... it would be a good idea but is not absolutely necessary. The single row chain can be left in place as long as the oil is changed at regular intervals and the chain, chain guides and oilers are checked and changed if necessary but I wouldn't go more than 5 years without at least checking them. It is a lot easier to install a new single row chain than it is to replace the engine.

I wouldn't go more than 10 years without changing the chain and guides if it is single row. It is so easy to check the chain and guides that there's no reason not to check them. Pull the right side rocker cover (passenger side in US) and take a look. The guides will be plainly visible (if they are dark brown change them immediately) and the chain can easily be checked for what people call stretch (it's actually wear) by pressing on the chain anyplace where it is not in contact with the cam sprocket (to take up any slack) and then grabbing the chain at the midpoint on the cam sprocket and see how much play it has by pulling up on it. If it can be pulled up from the sprocket by more than an 1/16th of an inch... change it.

Regular oil changes with quality oil are a must with these engines. You wouldn't believe how much oil is flowing in and around the cam sprocket, the cam lobes, the rockers, the hydraulic compensators and the cam towers unless you've seen it for yourself. I recently cut the top off of a spare rocker cover and bolted it to the drivers side so I could watch for myself. The oil flows like a river up there, it drops directly down on the cam lobes from the oilers above. The oil gets to the oil tubes from the tops of the cam towers and oil is fed to the compensators via holes in the head. No wonder these cars hold almost 10 quarts of oil... a good portion of it is circulating in and around the top end. I couldn't let the engine run for more than a few seconds before oil was all over the place.

Oil filter changes are a must at every oil change... don't go by the old adage that says you can change the filter on every other oil change... it's few bucks and a few minutes of time that are well worth the effort. Maximum lubrication of the top end, which includes the cam sprockets and the chain, is essential to the life of the chain and everything else up there. There's a reason Mercedes designed the oil capacity to be almost 10 quarts, it's best that we keep that oil as clean as possible.

Sorry for going on and on... in the past I abused my engine by not changing the oil frequently and I paid the price with a blown engine twice due to the failure of the timing chain. My ignorance about the importance of frequent oil changes and checking the guides and oilers cost me many thousands of dollars... my hope is to save others from that same fate.
Aussiemerc, gogi, Nate Y and 1 others like this.

Nobody gets out of this life alive.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
$2500 for a repair like this seems pretty low. That's what happened to my 380sl back in 02. The cost was crazy like $5-6k.

I'd repair or even take the opportunity to put in a 500sec engine. More go go. I'd do this if I had the garage space.

Was there warning or did it just go?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle: 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
If you do the swap and find a good engine, you may as well convert to a dual row chain with the engine out of the car; it is impossible to do this once it is in the car.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:54 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerPuff View Post
If you do the swap and find a good engine, you may as well convert to a dual row chain with the engine out of the car; it is impossible to do this once it is in the car.
they went to dual row sometime in 83
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in