post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Would you run away from this one?

Hello r107 experts,

I've been lurking around here for some time, whilst I have searched for a SL450 on mobile.de. A car to ve driven in the spring/autumn in Denmark.

I love cars, but I am not technically skilled, nor have I bought a vintage car before. But I don't mind paying a mechanic to do some repairs and upgrades each season.

Challenge is, that I wanted a SL450 with manual aircon (not the automatic that "never works") and rear seats, in a REAL non-US version. They are little hard to find, and certainly not in Denmark.

I have been offered this SL450 from 1978/79. It was supposedly deliverered in Germany and later brought to the US and/or Canada (no books...only a title stating the last owner was from Indiana). Ended up back in Germany. Tacho says 62.800 miles, and the seller said it seemed accurate. It was delivered with rear seats, but somehow they disappeared over time.

The German seller seems like a good guy, and said it was in good condition.

The seller will:
- install rear seats and install 3 point seat belts in the back (seller already found some with only the middle missing).
- put new leather on front and rear seats with perforation.
- new armrest in matching color.
- put on FUCHS wheels, blasted and painted.
- fix aircon and make sure it runs on r134
- change speedo/tacho to km.
- change cracked wood trim around gear shift
- welding at spare wheel compartment
- minor work on brakes and axle rubbers.
- full service

The car is geographically quite far away from me, and so I have paid a mechanic to inspect the car. His photos and comments are attached, and another file with exteriour photos of the car at the link below.

https://tinyurl.com/y2szt9ro

I see a lot of rust, bad painting, cracked dashboard, etc. Should I leave it or is it worth the 28.000 I am asked for it?

Thank you!

Rasmus
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 450sl 1978-79_small.pdf (1.87 MB, 62 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Sounds no good to me. Rust is bad and so is almost everything else. Run away.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 2007 C230
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I think you'd be better off looking for something west of the Mississippi river in the United States. Ideally, something in California/Nevada/Arizona.

Don't buy something with suspect structural integrity that you never know when it'll surprise you with rust bubbles under the paint.

Also, if you want a challenge, see copart auctions and abetterbid.com for cars you can buy and get assistance shipping. There are a lot of interesting pieces out there that can make a nice project. And for something like $35 they'll do a video car inspection so you can get a better idea of what you are getting. That saved me from getting a car with pretty serious frame damage.

Or if you want something pristine, go to bringatrailer.com and wait for one to pop up.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Sounds like a european delivery vehicle. That cute program where you can buy a car, tour stuttgart and the factory, and then drive around Europe for a few months on a grand excursion. It's a cool program.

With what you've written, I would confirm that mileage with a carfax.com report. You will get a good estimate of the car's age.

However, in my not so humble opinion: at 28K EUR I would run so far far away that you would end back up in the same spot. That price is not only a joke given the issues, but the rust will turn your already expensive car into a 40-50K EUR car. Even with all of the "nice" stuff that the previous owner will do. While i'd take the word of a German guy over an American's anyday, I still wouldn't trust all of those promises.

You would be better off taking that cash, flying to the US, find a better example of what you want, ship it back, and still have a few grand left over for purchasing stuff that you want.

OR given your budget for vehicles, have you considered visiting the SL Shop in the UK? They have vehicles that are not only incredibly nice, but they would also be willing to do the stuff you're asking for. I would check there as well.

You may want to reconsider your aversion to the automatic climate control. They're very robust and work quite well even after all of these years. It would open up your options in terms of vehicles considerably.

Good luck
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:23 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2015
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
For 28k Euros you could come to the US (maybe Arizona in the winter?) mad find a 107 to your liking. Plenty of 380’s for instance in great shape that all in can be had for $10-12k pretty regularly w documented mileage in the 70k mile range and no rust. Perhaps a bit more w documented services that are up to date.

Back seat can’t really be used except for a small child but if you like the looks the seats can be found and easily installed.

Price seems high but can’t speak to ease of this transaction
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2015
Vehicle: 2003 E320 4matic wagon; 1979 450 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Although being from Maine,to me the rust is not that bad. But,that being said it is way over priced. That car is definitely under 10Kin the US...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:45 PM

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Why limit yourself to the 450? (It is 450SL not SL450.) Not all European models had the automatic climate control systems. I have seen '86-'89 300SLs with the manual controls.

To me that rust is run don't walk away.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2015 ML250 Bluetec, 62K miles; 1987 560SL, 121K miles
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
For 28K Euros, I'd run away unless every last it of rust was fixed and the work guaranteed - and then only if a thorough inspection found no rust remaining at all, ever, period.

You can do a hell of a lot better for that price, even factoring in what it will cost you to import it from the uS.

"Engineered like no other car in the world." That's both a bug and a feature.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:03 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2015
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
I would also point out that replacing the automatic temp controls is an easy job and there are remanufactured units readily available. Screwdriver and maybe 10 minutes and you can get a new temp control unit in a 380sl.

Unless the car is a daily driver the ac is unlikely to get much use. I use my heat a lot more than my ac. Heat extends the season. Ac only gets used when it is crazy hot and I’m in a suit or it’s rainy and hot.

I’d focus on condition over the temp control, but in the end the car needs to make you happy
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 07 E350, 80 240D 4 speed, 90 300SE, 87 260E
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Run for your life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in