Hello r107 experts,
I've been lurking around here for some time, whilst I have searched for a SL450 on mobile.de. A car to ve driven in the spring/autumn in Denmark.
I love cars, but I am not technically skilled, nor have I bought a vintage car before. But I don't mind paying a mechanic to do some repairs and upgrades each season.
Challenge is, that I wanted a SL450 with manual aircon (not the automatic that "never works") and rear seats, in a REAL non-US version. They are little hard to find, and certainly not in Denmark.
I have been offered this SL450 from 1978/79. It was supposedly deliverered in Germany and later brought to the US and/or Canada (no books...only a title stating the last owner was from Indiana). Ended up back in Germany. Tacho says 62.800 miles, and the seller said it seemed accurate. It was delivered with rear seats, but somehow they disappeared over time.
The German seller seems like a good guy, and said it was in good condition.
The seller will:
- install rear seats and install 3 point seat belts in the back (seller already found some with only the middle missing).
- put new leather on front and rear seats with perforation.
- new armrest in matching color.
- put on FUCHS wheels, blasted and painted.
- fix aircon and make sure it runs on r134
- change speedo/tacho to km.
- change cracked wood trim around gear shift
- welding at spare wheel compartment
- minor work on brakes and axle rubbers.
- full service
The car is geographically quite far away from me, and so I have paid a mechanic to inspect the car. His photos and comments are attached, and another file with exteriour photos of the car at the link below.
I see a lot of rust, bad painting, cracked dashboard, etc. Should I leave it or is it worth the €28.000 I am asked for it?