LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1985 500SL No start problem.

Let me start by saying that as soon as I can figure out how to update my profile on the mobile version I will do so. I have been a member here for quite some time but forgot my password and the email address I used is no longer valid. I have owned many Mercedes over the years and have 3 right now...85 500SL, 13 C250, and 15 GLK350.

My SL is giving me fits. The problem started a month or so ago. The car started just fine cold then while out running errands it had issues starting back up. The frequency of the problem has become more frequent and today there was a real issue. It started fine and on my way to work stopped to get gas. When I went to restart, it wouldn't. Eventually the battery drained trying to start it. Tried to jump start but it wouldn't. The car cranks but will not turn over. At the gas station I cracked the fuel line fitting and there is fuel getting to the distributor. I put a meter on the fuel pump terminals and there was no voltage present. I also cannot hear the fuel pump running like I usually can. But, there is obviously pressure at the distributor as fuel pumps out when trying to crank the car with the fitting loose. I eventually did get it to turn over...and drove it straight home as fast as I could.

So...what would be the logical place to start given the above symptoms? Over the years I have read plenty of hard start threads both hot and cold start. But, my symptoms dont seem to be the same. I am at a loss and would appreciate any assistance.

As a final note, I am handy and do virtually all the work myself. I have tools and a fundamental knowledge of these cars.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1985 500SL. Previous cars-190SL, 230S, 250SE, (2) 300SDs
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Could be The Ignition Control Unit, or that old Bugaboo, The Green Wire.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I have a spare green cable. I will pull it out and see if that solves the problem. I'm also wondering if it may be the fuel pump relay. Is it above the glove box on the 85?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1985 500SL 130K (Horst)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
I had a similar problem with my 85 500SL several years ago.
It was my fuel accumulator. They have a diaphragm inside them that fails over time when they get old. Do you have a strong un-burned gas smell coming out of the exhaust when you try to start after the car has warmed up.

Symptoms were.
When car was cold started up no problem.
If the car was run up to temperature and turned off, car would not restart when hot. Lots of chocking un-burned fuel smell coming from exhaust when trying to restart.
Had to let the car sit 15 or 20 minutes to cool down.
Then I was able to restart.

[SIGPIC]...

Last edited by Werner W; 06-18-2019 at 06:12 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Not too strong but there is an odor. I have another accumulator and will try swapping it out.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1986 560 SL
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
My bet's on the FPR.
@rowdie recently confirmed the FPR is behind the glovebox on the '84 500SL, so expect to find it there on an '85 too.

Last edited by dugald; 06-20-2019 at 11:51 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I swapped out the FPR yesterday and it seems to be working fine. As fate would have it, I had a spare relay in my glove box. Had to call my dad and ask why there was a spare in there. He had no recollection of why but I am sure glad there was one in there!!! Thanks.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesublett View Post
I swapped out the FPR yesterday and it seems to be working fine. As fate would have it, I had a spare relay in my glove box. Had to call my dad and ask why there was a spare in there. He had no recollection of why but I am sure glad there was one in there!!! Thanks.
Team back up FPR!

I keep a spare one next to the roadside jack.

Very important to have a back up. Crazy to think that little guy is the kiss of death for these cars!
Weather Man likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
My dad informed me that there are 3 more in the stockpile of parts he gave me with the car. I know I have a spare fuel pump, accumulator, and filter. I think he gave me enough spare parts to build a second car...minus the chassis and engine block. As he found parts for the 500, he snatched them up. Ebay, junkyards, etc. Short of oil filters and air filters, I really haven't had to buy a part for this car in the 4 years I have owned it. Thanks dad!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in