1974 450sl drowning in fuel - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2018
Vehicle: 1974 450SL, Dark_Blue/Parchment, 75K mi.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil W. Lareau View Post
...The timing is dead-on the marks at 5deg BTDC.
Iíve got a 74 450SL as well (just set timing short time ago) and just went out to garage and double checked, timing should be 5 deg. ATDC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Can you post some pictures of your engine intake area - curious about that work you did on the idle circuit by removing the AAV and what lies in its place. I am assuming you have blue Bosch Injectors. I am also curious about the placement of your fuel pressure gauge and resulting fuel circuit.

Don't give up - I think we can figure it out. I have gobs of spares to help you diagnose when we narrow it down.

Have you had a look at your pulse generator (trigger points) in the base of your distributor?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: 1974 450SL
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushjbc View Post
Can you post some pictures of your engine intake area - curious about that work you did on the idle circuit by removing the AAV and what lies in its place. I am assuming you have blue Bosch Injectors. I am also curious about the placement of your fuel pressure gauge and resulting fuel circuit.

Don't give up - I think we can figure it out. I have gobs of spares to help you diagnose when we narrow it down.

Have you had a look at your pulse generator (trigger points) in the base of your distributor?
I'll post pictures of what I've done tonight.

The fuel injectors are what Rockauto.com sells Standard Motor Products FJ118, the other 4 are OEM that I rebuilt. (<- yes, that statement should make you suspicious).

I haven't put an oscilloscope on the trigger points, but I did put little fuel injector noid lights at the end of the cables and saw clear firing pulses. the Trigger Point contacts are clean.

As far as the fuel pressure gauge, it is plugged into the fuel line where the cold start injector used to be. I removed that injector because a) I wasn't having trouble starting the car cold, and b) as I was getting too much fuel I wanted to remove it as a possible source of the fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2359 Post(s)
Garage
Why so many modifications?

Do you have a stock fuel pump?

Are you sure your pressure readings are correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Standing by for pictures - can you also take some of the fuel pressure regulator and damper at the rear of the engine?
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:41 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2015
Vehicle: 1975 450sl
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil W. Lareau View Post
I'll post pictures of what I've done tonight.

The fuel injectors are what Rockauto.com sells Standard Motor Products FJ118, the other 4 are OEM that I rebuilt. (<- yes, that statement should make you suspicious).

I haven't put an oscilloscope on the trigger points, but I did put little fuel injector noid lights at the end of the cables and saw clear firing pulses. the Trigger Point contacts are clean.

As far as the fuel pressure gauge, it is plugged into the fuel line where the cold start injector used to be. I removed that injector because a) I wasn't having trouble starting the car cold, and b) as I was getting too much fuel I wanted to remove it as a possible source of the fuel.
If we are assuming that timing chain isnt stretched and fuel injectors arent sticking open (doubtful), it really seems like the pressure is too high. What kind of fuel pump is on it and have you tried reducing the pressure from the regulator?
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:50 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2014
Vehicle: W114 280E 5 speed manual 1972, W123 280E 1983
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I had this problem on my Djet powered W114 280E. It was due to a failed engine temperature sensor. Open circuit equals infinite resistance equals infinite injector opening time. Check it with a multimeter when cold and warm. I can't remember exactly but I think cold it should be about 2kohm, at engine temperature it is about 600ohms, but check the manual. Make sure you check it when hot as mine didn't go open circuit until it warmed up.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: 1974 450SL
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmoz View Post
I had this problem on my Djet powered W114 280E. It was due to a failed engine temperature sensor. Open circuit equals infinite resistance equals infinite injector opening time. Check it with a multimeter when cold and warm. I can't remember exactly but I think cold it should be about 2kohm, at engine temperature it is about 600ohms, but check the manual. Make sure you check it when hot as mine didn't go open circuit until it warmed up.
This is the one on the back of the passenger side cylinder head?
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:37 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2014
Vehicle: W114 280E 5 speed manual 1972, W123 280E 1983
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't know where it is on a V8, someone else will have to answer.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:03 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 1973 450 SLC / 1974 450 SL / 2001 ML55
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyH View Post
If we are assuming that timing chain isnt stretched and fuel injectors arent sticking open (doubtful), it really seems like the pressure is too high. What kind of fuel pump is on it and have you tried reducing the pressure from the regulator?
Just a side note. Trigger Points work (fire)(create a pulse) when they are closed not open. 110 - 115 deg. should be your target.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in