post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1987 560SL, 2000 Kawasaki W650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cabin air temperature sensor socket

There are times when I want to track down the Previous Owner and give them a piece of my mind (from what may still be left) over something they did that has driven me bonkers.

I've finally decided to sort out the A/C system on my 560SL. I've not bothered with it because after all, it's a convertible. But I'd like to do some touring of Oregon's high desert area and because it's so damn hot up there I think A/C is going to be necessary.

First headache. The cabin air temperature sensor. I was able to get a hold of the actual sensor part, but it seems when a PO had the dash cap put on, the knuckleheads who installed it didn't cut a hole for the sensor, left it bouncing around under the dash and the socket it goes into is nowhere to be found.

Number 84, which is listed as "Thermostat"

Name:  MB mercedes A1268350079.png
Views: 26
Size:  54.4 KB

It's the white plastic part in this photo:

Cabin air temperature sensor socket-cabinairtempsensor_img.jpg

I found a part number for it, A1268350079, but the only places online that seem to stock it are sites in Latvia and Belarus, and my ability to read Cyrillic text is kind of spotty. I found a German site that has it for Ä7, but the shipping charge came up as Ä108!

So it looks like I'm going call the Classic Center on Monday to see if they have it. Or I may have to start going around the local junkyards or I may have to fabricate something close enough that'll work. It's just that I'm getting tired of having wonder, why the hell did they do this, which unfortunately is something I've had to say too often about houses I've owned.

If anyone has one of these lying around, I'd be glad to give you a good price for it.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:36 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle: 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Brock probably has it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerPuff View Post
You can search the national junkyard database, some of these guys ship.
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
I know Larry Brock will ship you any part, he has about 40 107's in his yard.
[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Thanks! I'll try them.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:37 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1988 560SL 50K
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Is this it? Part # seems to match.

https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts...ler-1268350079

BTW - didn't check your part number in the EPC. Assume that is where you got it and is correct.

Last edited by CavallinoRed; 06-16-2019 at 01:39 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Buy it from mboemparts . That's the right part.
You can also talk to their customer service line to confirm it 100% with that picture.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
BTW - didn't check your part number in the EPC. Assume that is where you got it and is correct.
I don't have access to the EPC since my computers are all Mac, but I have a print copy of the parts microfiches from Germany. My copy shows that part but it isn't numbered, maybe it was included with the hose, who knows. I found the above illustration which has the part number on one of the sites which is a Russian bootleg version, but I have to be careful about the accuracy on some of those sites.

Thanks for that link. I'll give them a call tomorrow and find out if it is in fact the correct part.

My next potential headache is that when someone replaced the compressor, they cut one of the wires coming out of it to about 1/4", with a crimp-on connector hanging by a thread. I have have to take the compressor out and solder a longer piece of wire to that and I hope I don't have to open it up to get to more of the wire inside the unit.

Why do people do stuff like that?

Tom
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:32 PM

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Try this free EPC version https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/epc/mercedes/ It is kind of like what the new EPC paid subscription was from what I remember.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:59 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1988 560SL 50K
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdie View Post
Try this free EPC version https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/epc/mercedes/ It is kind of like what the new EPC paid subscription was from what I remember.
mboemparts can verify but pretty sure that is the part you're looking for and does look like it came as a separate piece. Try dropping the "A" when Googling part #s as you might find more. If you were working from a Russian EPC they are all auto translated so the part names can't be trusted.

Hate to try your project without a English EPC so thinking rowdie's link will be a life saver. Might start using it myself as the EPC i have now has to run in a WindowsXP simulator and is a PIA (Thanks rowdie!)

Sounds like the PO sure didn't do you any favors when they butchered out your A/C.

Never ran across a "Why The Hell did The Previous Owner Do That?" thread on this forum but if there is one I'm sure it full of horror stories.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Thatís the one from which I got the illustration and part number, but thanks for posting.

Yeah, I suppose a ďWhy the hell did they do that?Ē thread would probably run pretty long. Iím wondering why they lost the tool kit, but at least they didnít lose the wheel mounting tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1998 C280; 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I have a similar set of PO's. I found everything but that fitting. Could not purchase it anywhere, so I made one from a PVC reducing tee (3/4x1/2?). I have no idea whether it will work, as I haven't charged the system yet. But it was a nice fit. I used pipe insulation for the pipe. I do a lot of shopping at Lowes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in