post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
It's finally happening: Soft Top Replacement

Today the Mrs. and I committed to replacing the soft top on Benzie.

One of the recommended vendors from the bigger thread, German Auto Tops happens to be within walking distance of my house here in North Hollywood.

My wife and I took a visit over there. I must say, these guys are absolutely old school. The entire place is HUGE. They have a bunch of guys working by hand to make each soft top brand spanking new and rolls upon rolls of different material from Twillfast to Sonnenland.

The owner John is a delightful fellow and took us around. Mrs. Beast and I really didn't want to replace our black softop with another black one and wanted to see what tan or beige looked like with some swatches against the gold paint.

Well turns out, John actually has a secret stash of Sonnenland material there that he doesn't market on the website! He showed us an off beige Sonnenland that isn't made anymore that is very popular with the restoration community here in southern California. I'm really glad I went in because it's an excellent color that looks good, won't absorb heat, and above all won't look bad when it will undoubtedly get dirty by the SoCal dust.

He's making the top now and it should be ready by next Tuesday. We have an installer planning on installing it next Friday.

I'll take pictures once it is done. If you're in Southern California, I recommend you take some time to stop by in person because his selection of materials is way more varied than what he has online.
Weather Man likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:48 PM
Outstanding Contributor
Bob's Your Uncle!

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: -----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2359 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okyoureabeast View Post
Today the Mrs. and I committed to replacing the soft top on Benzie.

One of the recommended vendors from the bigger thread, German Auto Tops happens to be within walking distance of my house here in North Hollywood.

My wife and I took a visit over there. I must say, these guys are absolutely old school. The entire place is HUGE. They have a bunch of guys working by hand to make each soft top brand spanking new and rolls upon rolls of different material from Twillfast to Sonnenland.

The owner John is a delightful fellow and took us around. Mrs. Beast and I really didn't want to replace our black softop with another black one and wanted to see what tan or beige looked like with some swatches against the gold paint.

Well turns out, John actually has a secret stash of Sonnenland material there that he doesn't market on the website! He showed us an off beige Sonnenland that isn't made anymore that is very popular with the restoration community here in southern California. I'm really glad I went in because it's an excellent color that looks good, won't absorb heat, and above all won't look bad when it will undoubtedly get dirty by the SoCal dust.

He's making the top now and it should be ready by next Tuesday. We have an installer planning on installing it next Friday.

I'll take pictures once it is done. If you're in Southern California, I recommend you take some time to stop by in person because his selection of materials is way more varied than what he has online.
Looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby View Post
Donítí ever wrestle with a pig. Youíll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky raccoon View Post
Soldier on Old Chap. The Pig is you and you are the Pig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:54 PM

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby View Post
Looking forward to it.
+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Good buy. I bought a dark chocolate one from him but maybe would have liked a lighter color as my car is gold too! Nothing like being Beastie on the spot!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 1988 560SL (California Model)
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Had mine replaced I'm guessing about 5 years ago. One thing my installer told me was to keep the soft top up for about a week so it "forms/settles in". Made sense to me and that's what I did. OK truth be known it was more like 5 days...patience is not high up on my list of virtues...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Quote:
patience is not high up on my list of virtues
Patience is wildly over rated.

Quote:
Looking forward to the pictures. Glad to hear about the good experience from German Auto Tops. @joser85 and I have discussed doing this work on both our cars in a collaborative effort in the near future.
reno4u2 and okyoureabeast like this.

Brad Cushman
73 450 SL
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 86 560 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I logged into this site after several years of inactivity to explore the local wisdom for the best sources for replacement tops. I just perused the German Auto Tops website but wanted to confirm that they are a good source for original equipment quality tops.

Last edited by SMinn560SL; 06-12-2019 at 03:46 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:33 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 86 560 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I attempted to order but got a message indicating that the shipment method was not available. Guess I'll have to call them tomorrow.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Smile Soft tops from GAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMinn560SL View Post
I logged into this site after several years of inactivity to explore the local wisdom for the best sources for replacement tops. I just perused the German Auto Tops website but wanted to confirm that they are a good source for original equipment quality tops.
I was very happy with the quality of mine. Yes to the advice " keep the top up for a few days" and if it's tight to lock up, just spray liberally with water and then tighten down.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2018
Vehicle: 1985 380sl
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushjbc View Post
Patience is wildly over rated.

Looking forward to the pictures. Glad to hear about the good experience from German Auto Tops. @joser85 and I have discussed doing this work on both our cars in a collaborative effort in the near future.
I, too, am lacking in the patience department. Add to that the multiple age-related holes in my soft top and I'm ready to go as soon as you are, Cush. It's worth noting this will be yet another project that I never ever dreamed I would be willing to tackle when I bought this obsession -- er, uh, utilitarian vehicle, as I tell Mrs. Joser. And the funny thing is, it's just one of many on my project wish-list.

Hey, that actually sounds like a good topic for a new thread: "What's on your SL project list?" I can't find such a thread with a cursory search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in