post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2016
Vehicle: 1985 280SL (Euro)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hesitation

It started a few days ago. The car started quite normally in the morning but pulling out of the driveway onto the road she hesitated for a second then pulled away as usual. At the next stop sign, same thing and then she drove normally for the rest of the trip. I stopped off at the auto parts shop and bought a fuel system cleaner which seemed to work after a couple more mild events. All was well for the next few days until yesterday when after backing out of the garage the car died. She started right up again and ran normally for a few miles then died again as I was approaching a road junction. I pulled off the road and she started right up again and ran normally for the rest of the day. I'd have to guess it's fuel related but after that I'm stumped. Anyone ever experienced similar behaviour? Any ideas welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2017
Vehicle: 560SL 1986 244k miles astral grey / black
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Sounds to me as some sort of fuel starvation. Have a look at you fuel filter and the screener in your fuel tank.

How hard can it be?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Did it shut right off or stumble? If it just went dead as happened to me a few weeks ago, try a new fuel pump relay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Weatherman, on the earlier occasions she just stumbled while stopped at a road junction when I accelerated away, and then picked right up again, but on the last two events there was no response to the gas pedal when the engine died. The first occasion was after reversing out of the garage just before putting her in drive. the second was a few miles after this when slowing down at a road junction and she just died while decelerating. If it was a filter I can't see her starting right up again immediately and then running normally. Perhaps the fuel pump relay could be a good place to start.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
I bought one in about the year 10 and had carried it in my trunk ever since, in case of emergency. It came nine years later. They're inexpensive, try AutohausAZ.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
The dystery meepens. After looking over the situation my indie has informed me that "the car is running beautifully" Well, I already knew that, my problem only arises when it stops running beautifully or otherwise - even if only for a second or two.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Well, the symptoms went away for a while then came back a little worse and the car not only stalled in the middle of a road junction but when restarted ran for a while then I noticed fuel starvation at around 30 mph. This lasted about 5 seconds before the engine picked up and she started running nicely again. Decided to go for a replacement fuel pump relay as the most likely problem and the indie ordered one in, which now turns out to be the wrong one! Apparently the right one is hard to find. Have suggested indie try Autohaus AZ as advised by Weatherman. Oh the joys of old cars, particularly Euro models!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshairfiend View Post
Well, the symptoms went away for a while then came back a little worse and the car not only stalled in the middle of a road junction but when restarted ran for a while then I noticed fuel starvation at around 30 mph. This lasted about 5 seconds before the engine picked up and she started running nicely again. Decided to go for a replacement fuel pump relay as the most likely problem and the indie ordered one in, which now turns out to be the wrong one! Apparently the right one is hard to find. Have suggested indie try Autohaus AZ as advised by Weatherman. Oh the joys of old cars, particularly Euro models!
Replacing the fuel pump relay is as easy as removing the glove box (simple reuseable rivets) and pulling it out yourself.

The old relay will have a part number on it and a max RPM. Simply match it to what is online and order it yourself.

You can also go to mboemparts.com/

There's a free shipping coupon somewhere on the forum that you can use as well. That link I posted should have the FPR you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in